LED Replacement Bulbs

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Reference & Articles' started by OldFordGuy, May 27, 2008.

1. Clark

Clark In Maximum Overdrive

Old Ford Guy - yeah, along with the set of super bright LEDs I'd like to sell - now 2 years setting in my bulb drawer, ha.

2. Billy Zoom

Billy Zoom In Fourth Gear

Hint: Buy LEDs from an electronics supplier rather than a car place. They only cost pennies.

Verderacer likes this.
  3. Bearpaw58

Bearpaw58 In Third Gear

Which wire to connet the Tach light to?

I am assuming you're talking about the dimmer for the dash when you say it goes to 0 and back. that is the wire I'm looking for when I install an aftermarket tach this weekend. I looked up in the '65 shop manual (which doesn't have schematics), and in the instrument section it shows: blue-red stripe wire. then it shows "to tachometer light (blue)". I think that's the one I'm looking for to hook up the tach light. Do you know? it shows a blue wire going to the tach light, but that would only be the case if you got the Rally Pac cluster. Did you just check that with a volt meter then turn the dash light dimmer (headlight switch)??
    Thanks for the help, I thought the manual would show more, but it doesn't.
    In another diagram it shows "Black- TO RESISTOR (PINK) WIRE". I am a little confused. Am I making it out to be more difficult than it is?

Is the stock bulb in the tach going to be too bright? Maybe I don't want to dim it? It will be cocked to the left of the steering colum. I have a triple gauge cluster (lighted), but they are down under the dash, and they're not too bright. Opinion??? Thanks, Barry.
    Thanks, Barry

4. steeread

steeread Guest

Just an FYI that most of you should know...LED bulbs draw way less current than the incandescent variety. If used in a turn signal or emergency flasher circuit, then they may not operate as expected.

5. inenidok

inenidok In Overdrive

this is correct i was talking to a guy that knows about leds and he said you need to use a lower draw flasher for the turn and hazzard, and to use in the dash you need a to change the voltage reg on the dash as well if you have problems

6. john777

john777 In Fourth Gear

Can you repost a pic of your gauges/cluster please

7. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Here you go;
    SDC10112a.jpg
    If you want, I will take a pic with the dash put together.

8. toyroom

toyroom In Third Gear PLATINUM MEMBER

That looks great, I'm curious ribald1, do you have a pic of the process of carving and especially the spray foam method of securing the gauges?
    Never had good luck with spray foam, meaning some expand way to much, others don't hold etc. I know there are many different types and maybe I'm getting the wrong ones for the application.
    As 66 said "I'm learning"... so am I.

9. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Sorry, no.
    When I am working, stopping to take pictures never comes to mind.
    As the new gauges are deeper than the original I had to make holes in the rear of the cluster. Working with it I found the plastic to be rather fragile so my idea of making a rear support that used the gauge mounting points was scrapped.
    I sprayed the gauges with mold release so that it would be possible to get them out if I ever needed to in the future then used a low expanding type of spray foam (the type listed for filling small voids) to create support that was spread over the entire assembly.

10. toyroom

toyroom In Third Gear PLATINUM MEMBER

Yeah me too, when it comes to taking pics, and low expanding foam makes sense.
    Thanks!

11. john777

john777 In Fourth Gear

Yes please

12. Verderacer

Verderacer In First Gear

Does anybody have pn#'s, reference site or supplier they have used successfully? The bulbs in mine I think are original and dimm as hell after 40+ years. Would really like to find an alternative.

13. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

14. NeillNZ

NeillNZ In Second Gear

I have been working with LEDs since I started in electronics in the 80s. They sure have come along way since then. My house lighting is now LED(CRI>90). As great as they are I am not convinced they are an improvement over a 194 bulb in an instrument cluster. My reasons are:

1. Narrow band: Colored LEDs are a narrow band light source, the blue of a blue LED is not the same as putting a blue filter in front of a white light source. The result is that only objects with blue in them will be illuminated. Notice how dim the normally bright orange speedo needle is under the narrow band blue source of a LED. This is also a problem if that blue LED light is to pass through the blue lenses, unless the lens is a good match to the color of the LED it will filter too much light.

2. Beam angle: A 194 bulb produces light in almost all directions whereas almost all LEDs have a hot spot in the centre and little light out of the sides. The narrow angle of light is fine for warning lamps but the background lighting in the cluster requires a source that is wide angle.

3. Dimming. A 194 bulb of 3 Watts draws around 200mA of current, whereas an LED is 20mA to 30mA. So the LED uses much less power, put who cares it is hardly going to save you fuel. The problem is that the dash lighting dimmer is a rheostat that has been designed to match the load of all the dash lighting lamps. When a significant portion of the load is removed by replacing the bulbs with LEDs the dimming control does not function as expected. This is a similar issue to fitting LED replacement bulbs to the turn signals but having to add a ballast resistor or swap out the flasher to an LED type.

4. Glare. Finally my last gripe. I believe that the lighting provided by the incandescent bulbs is not only of higher quality but it is just the right amount of power. By increasing the brightness, you risk degrading your night vision.

I have considered fitting LEDs to the reproduction printed circuits I make but I'm not sure it would be a good idea.

beerbelly likes this.