Lets talk manual steering - need help

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Ian Goolsby, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Ian Goolsby

Ian Goolsby In Second Gear

Ok folks i have something driving me totally crazy. My 67 rancher has some DARTING going on in the steering. Its all manual steering setup. There seems to be some new parts in the steering and additional linkage from the previous own. I just installed brand new heavy duty rear leafs and coil over shocks so the rear is perfect and solid. I had someone on a facebook group describe my problem as DARTING and it seems to be spot on. also at slow speeds when i hit a small bump i can hear a sort of KNOCK in the front. I am trying to learn here so I would love to hear som eoptions of what you guys think and where and how i should start to diagnose my problem. Thanks so much. Also if there any mechanics near Denver CO you can recommend? thank you

2. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

What do you mean by 'darting'?
    Is it trying to wander around when driving straight? Or wanting to turn a lot with a small input from the steering wheel? Or something else?

3. Ian Goolsby

More wandering around while driving strait. you can slightly feel it pull on the steering one way but then will shift the other way instantly. I am always correcting it. feels like a loose wheel but they are tight as can be. even wheel bearings are good and tight.

4. ribald1

Sounds like a combination of not enough toe in and loose links in the steering linkage.
    When parked, can you move the steering wheel back and forth a bit without the wheels moving?

5. Ian Goolsby

I just went out and tried the steering parked, theres not much play really. its pretty tight. would control arm bushing cause this type of darting in the steering or the wheels?

6. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I'd recommend taking it to an alignment shop for an inspection.

Freestyle Don and andrewok1 like this.
  7. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Probably all in your steering box.

8. ribald1

Sounds like an alignment issue.

9. Ian Goolsby

Today i went over all of the nuts on all suspension parts. seems everything is good. i am leaning to the steering box as its original. Can i safely tighten the nut on the bottom of the box? seems to be some space between the nut and the box.

10. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

X2 take it to a shop and let them tell what they suggest, as long as you take it to someone that is familiar with old cars,

Freestyle Don likes this.
  11. Freestyle Don

Freestyle Don In Third Gear BRONZE MEMBER

Good point! I live in a rural area and had 2 different shops quote me $300 for an alignment. Both using the excuse my `79 was an old car. I ended up taking a 2 hour R/T {excluding shop time}. Was charged $69.

Living off-grid, has some disadvantages, i.e. overcharging, and shortage of qualified repair shops......

12. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

If you happen to live on the West Coast, there's a chain of tire stores called Les Schwab. They did mine for $80.

Cindy likes this.
  13. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Insufficient caster. Get it aligned.

14. Deeno

Deeno In First Gear

i think it's a worn steering box. i own a 63 ford falcon with a manual steering box. it's worn and has some play in the steering wheel (can twist the steering wheel left as right while still going straight). it wanders at highway speed. nothin dangerous just an annoyance.

how do u know u have a worn steering box? when u drive straight down road turn the wheel a little left and right. if ur steering wheel moves and the car is still going straight u have a worn steering box.

my suggestion would be to rebuild the steering box.

that thunk could be a ball joint too. I had a maverick with bad front ball joints make all kind of thunk noises when I went over bumps.

15. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

Being that it is manual steering, how much play do you have when rocking the steering wheel as opposed to wheel movement.

16. airford1

airford1 In Maximum Overdrive

Dont be so cheap. Jezz Ranchero owners! The knock is the rubber gone in the front sway bar and you need the front aligned. Keep playing with it and I think I know why they wanted 300 bucks.