Little Engine Build - Motivational Pictures

Discussion in 'Ranchero Pics' started by 72GTVA, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Rancherous

Rancherous Administrator Staff Member

When I had my Saltwater Aquarium set up I had a Queen Angel and many other high dollar fish. I had to have a Funeral for them:D Thats why my set up is down at the moment. :(

2. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

What ? What's that I hear about garages having bottoms ? Is this some new development the archeologists have recently discovered ? I think you guys are messing with us. Very nice engines though !

3. Torkair

Torkair In Maximum Overdrive

I've been drooling over the Kaase Boss 9 heads lately, I'd heard of there being a ford Hemi but I could never track down any solid information on them until recently. I'm seriously considering building a Boss 429 for my '72 torino now as well.

4. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

It is really an urban legend I think. Someone once saw the bottom of a garage when they went to an open house or something. It is a myth.

5. 72GTVA

Update - Spence (Fomoco8) and I dropped in the new Goldfish Engine today, (that's Spence in the picture)... Mostly Spence (I stood around and watched a lot as he did most of the work (that's my story and I'm stickin' to it)) - his penance for getting the runner that was in Goldfish). Did it with the engine and transmission assembled, not the easiest thing with that monster but doable. We took our time as it was very hot and humid today, lots of breaks and water stops and more breaks. A little detailing yet to do but finally got it in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2010
  6. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

Very cool stuff! That engine looks sweet there in it's new home :).

7. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Beautiful!
    Later you can let her breathe and the fun will commence.

8. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Cool! Dan it looks great! How hard is it going to be to get the A/C suitcase in there with the motor in it?

9. Hillbilly

Ya know, Holley does make a nice spread-bore that fits the base CJ intake. Corrosion ? Distilled water and genuine green Ford antifreeze at a 50/50 mix solved my troubles. You still might benefit from a separate ground to the temp sender housing and throttle kicker solenoid.

10. 72GTVA

Not too bad, really. Enough clearance to wiggle it in without too much trouble. The case that was in it had a hole in it from an engine change a lot of years ago. I'll get a picture of that and post it for fun. I had a spare case here so it will get it's original evaporator core repacked into the good case. Glad I had not put the case back in before installing the engine today - that thing would have been toast as the one that was there.

The one you sent for Bluefish mocks up well and solves the problem I had with not being able to find a '72 specific core. Some of the parts issues aren't getting any easier in finding good replacements and originals are long gone.

I had intentions of putting a Sanden compressor in it - but I will have to do some more research on that - the one I have in hand won't fit. Unlike the 351 CJs the compressor mounts directly in front of the valve cover and the Sanden is much too long to fit.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2010
  11. 72GTVA

I went ahead and swapped intakes to the Super Cobra Jet intake and plan to reuse the holley that was used on the SCJs that was on the engine I gave Spence (PO had changed it to the right model Holley). I'm happy with the iron intake, I know I could get "more" out of the engine with an aftermarket but over 420ish horses now and being able to use the factory Ram Air assembly makes changing it to something aftermarket not all that attractive an option to me. The '72 Ram Air is so rare I think it is worth the trade.

I had an aluminum intake on the engine I gave Spence that he would be happy to return if asked - I really like the setup it has now with the SCJ intake - a suprisingly good performer all things considered.

OBTW, appreciate your help during the exhaust manifold search!

Anyone need a '70 - '71 429 Cobra Jet Intake??? Got one lying around needing a home...

12. Hillbilly

I see ya blocked off the choke tube hole. Still running the crossover heat ? Nice touch with the A/N trans cooler lines. Aside from a little extra weight if you port matched the iron SCJ intake you won't miss much grunt that an alloy could add. Lookin' good !

13. Hillbilly

Guess I'm gonna' have hood clearance issues. Small sacrafice to get what you want I guess. Maybe I should go with an FE instead.

Attached Files:

14. 72GTVA

I made that block off plate and put it in place while I was deciding what I was going to do about the choke. PO had converted the carb to an electric choke which works and when I was repairing the engine-wiper-power distribution harness I added in the Ford pattern electric choke wiring from the alternator. I do have the proper choke stove for the exhaust heated arrangement but I don't think I will employ that for the near term. The intake was port matched to the gaskets as were the heads, I didn't do a full up port and polish this build as the heads had been polished before I got them. It is hard to see in the pictures during assembly as the shot peen process and solvents sort of made everything appear a little dull. There is room (remaining material) to improve the port/polish on what all is there but for this build it isn't necessary.

The AN transcooler lines are the result of my mistake during the old engine removal event. I decided to remove the engine and trans as an assembly and the cooler lines with it. Unfortunately I missed one retainer in the back of the cross member and we didn't catch it until the engine was up and almost out. Tried to save the lines but on first bend back into shape they cracked. It is hard to find the steel tubing anymore, used to be you could walk into any parts store and they had a rack with various sizes and lengths of tubes. Most of them around here don't even carry steel line any longer. Getting all the conversion from 1/8" NPT fittings in the trans and radiator to 6-AN was yet another "joy" filled experience requiring a few trips (4) to the speed shop across town and in the next city over from me.

15. 72GTVA

Maybe a little bump will be needed but I'd stay with the 429. That is a nice arrangement! Which one of the herd is that destined to go on?

16. 72GTVA

A little trivia for those that might be interested, the location of the partial VIN stamped on the C6 Transmission... This is the location Ford stamps the transmission with the VIN at the assembly plant.

[​IMG]

17. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

looks fantastic..really like those valve covers. Would be nice if the coating on the manifolds would dull slightly to match the valve covers but looks terrific none the less. Those are Cobra Jet exhausts right?? very similar but not the same as the PI exhausts right? Do those fit standard heads as well as the CJs? I have an adapter plate for fitting a sanden in place of the York compressor but have never had a reason to mock it up at this stage, would like to hear about your progress on this subject as it arises.

18. Fomoco8

Fomoco8 In Maximum Overdrive

For info ... All Ford BB 385 series heads have the same bolt patterns on intake and exhaust,,only differences is the valve train and port sizes are different between some castings

19. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

thanx Spence...i thought so but most of my experience has been SB. Have a pair of PI exhaust manifolds that have been kicking around the bonus room a few years waiting for the exhaust part of the project..which is next summers project if all continues 5 by 5.

20. 72GTVA

The exhaust manifolds are the correct castings for CJ/SCJ - D0OE's. The port sizes are significantly larger and while the old engine's exhaust manifolds would have bolted up they wouldn't have covered the ports. That was a tough find for those - couldn't talk Hillbilly out of a set from his sources and had to use some leads from him to find a pair, and then had to spend some 'equity' to get a set. Once here I had them jet hot coated by my local powder coating company. I agree it would be nice to have them match a bit better in texture and color but the reason for coating them was more temperature and durability related than it was to dress it up. The cast iron manifolds that came off the engine Spence got (old Goldfish engine) were junk - one was cracked in a couple of areas and while the other could have been reused it wouldn't have sealed up with the D0OE-R heads.

Here is the picture of the evaporator case that PO had "bumped" back in about '86 when he changed engines... his solution was stainless duct tape to seal up the hole...

[​IMG]

The lesson learned with this is the 15 to 30 minutes it takes to pull the case is probably well worth the time to save a hard to find replacement unless you want to put in a patch on that case...