Location for electric fan temp sensor

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Jeff B, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Time to get back to work. Next project is to finish the electric fan install on my '70 with a stock 302. Purchased a controller kit and need to install the temp sensor on the engine. The easiest place is in the thermostat housing as it is drilled and tapped for the size I need, but is it the best location?

2. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

The intake is best, the thermostat should be after the sensor, and the sensor should be set higher than the thermostat so that the fan doesn't run all the time.

3. Jeff B

I am getting ready to install (finally) and I have what I think are 2 choices on the intake. On the drivers side there is the threaded hole for the stock gauge sensor but if I put a "T" there the put the 2 sensors on it I am concerned about coolant circulating around both sensors. The other choice is the fitting for the heater on the passenger side of the manifold, but does that line circulate when the heater is off? The thermostat housing is looking better, but the point has been made about the stat opening and closing, but if it is open then there is enough heat to run the fan. What do you all think?

4. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Is the fan sensor adjustable for temp and is it a fairly low profile?

5. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I would think the best location would be in the t-stat housing; just about every engine Ford offered, had a spot that could be drilled and tapped for the sender.

6. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

7. 72GTVA

Pending your answers to my question above, my opinion is the Thermostat housing that you have noted is already machined in the size needed is an acceptable location. A lot of the 302's had a coolant PVS or other temperature related control installed in that very location, and that housing is the OUTLET of (engine warmed) hot coolant to the radiator. I presume your fan control permits adjustment in temperature range and am of the opinion that you could install it there and then "tweak" it's control settings to give you exactly what you need. JMO

8. Jeff B

Here is the stat housing and sensor.........
    upload_2020-1-29_20-59-36.jpeg upload_2020-1-29_20-59-56.jpeg

The sensor has threads that are a match to the housing or close enough to tap and correct. The control box allows for temp adjustment. I am using a 90 degree stat housing to clear the belt for the blower

9. 72GTVA

Absent another convenient place to put it in the water jacket on the engine, my opinion is you will be fine in the T-Stat housing pictured above.

pmrphil likes this.
  10. Jeff B

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

11. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

That's where I planned to install mine when I do eventually install it.

12. Jeff B

Stay tuned Andy.

13. Jeff B

Sensor went in without issue and mounted the control box. Tomorrow I will try to get things hooked up as I actually need to tow a trailer on Sunday with it.

Sensor install.jpg

handy_andy_cv64 and LSChero like this.
  14. Jeff B

Ran out of time to hook up the control unit, but going to get back to it. I need a source of "key on power" for the control box. Where is a good place to pick this up? Anywhere under the hood or will it be from under the dash. Thanks

15. 72GTVA

White with Purple Stripe wire, there is a three female butt type plug connector, yellow in color, that is near the steering column under the dash. That is the source for most options key on power. Best source I have found to use. That pigtail leaves the main dash wire harness at the same location as the wiper switch pigtail.

16. Jeff B

Thanks. I will give it a look.

17. 72GTVA

might be hard to pick out but here is a picture, the wire and connector are circled:

Dash Harness.jpg

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  18. 72GTVA

An under the hood option, is locate the pigtail near the wiper motor for your engine gauge harness, you may have a 4 wire plug, white with red stripe, red with white stripe are temp and oil pressure respectively, Red with Green Stripe is to your coil, and if there is a fourth wire it is usually brown with yellow stripe or red with yellow stripe, and it normally goes to the throttle positioner solenoid (if used). If that brown (or red)/yellow stripe wire is present, check it for key on 12V (it should) - and if not otherwise in use you could use that.

19. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

The three female connector 72GTVA referred to... on my 69 factory harness, comes off the accessory post on top of the fuse box. Very convenient for power in the cab, and not needing to find a route to under the hood.

20. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

And the same location for the '70 model.