Long time Mustanger, new Ranchero-er new to the forum

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Center' started by ranchero7, Mar 9, 2018.

1. ranchero7

ranchero7 In First Gear

I've had several 60's mustangs throughout my life: 69 fastback, 69 grande coupe, 68 GT coupe and finally my current 65 convertible. All but the last were daily drivers so I know my way around them. The older I get, the more I like trucks and just picked up a '65 Ranchero from northern California. It has really good bones and I'm updating it to be as close to a daily driver as I can get. Previous owner had put in high back bucket seats and it already had disc brakes, power steering (somehow with a leaky Toyota branded steering box), original A/C and a clean 289. I'm dropping in the sanden compressor and an AOD right away and then am going to enjoy it for awhile before tackling anything else. Glad to be here and will be searching for threads on how to fit that huge AOD into the small tranny tunnel. IMG_5110.JPG IMG_5115.JPG

2. ribald1

ribald1 In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

No reason it can't be a real daily driver.
    I drive a 69 E200 as a work van every day.

3. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero MODERATOR Staff Member

Toyota box is prolly from a early mustang kit. I have been running a 73 Chero as a daily since 2002

4. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Nice looking ride!

5. DJ Clinton

DJ Clinton In Second Gear

Nice looking ride. Wish my '64 looked that good-but I'll get there.

6. Saff54

Saff54 In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Nice ride 7,welcome to the site!

7. Saff54

Saff54 In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Would that 2 tone be factory?not a big 2 tone guy but I really like that look

8. parts4me

parts4me In Maximum Overdrive

That color combo is on point!

9. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Overdrive

Welcome... nice ride.

10. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Regarding your AOD question, here are a few ideas from other sites:

"My '65 Sedan had the same Floor Pan configuration as your Ranchero, so it is an apples-to-apples comparison.
    Tunnel work involved trimming the Floor Support over the AOD's Extension Housing, for clearance. I did NOT remove the whole thing, it was just trimmed as necessary for the larger Transmission to fit. Since the trimming of that area was directly adjacent to the Speedometer Cable exiting the Extension Housing, I actually routed the Cable into the Support and hole-sawed into the front of the Support for the Cable to exit and smoothly curve toward the opening in the Toe Board. I had a home-made Crossmember that kept the AOD tucked up as high as I could (for proper Engine angle). The other 'modification' or tweaking involved simply bumping out the surfaces close to the Convertor Housing, using a two-pound ball peen hammer. That eliminated any contact between the two and any subsequent rattle or vibration."

"How about some strategicly placed slices down the sides of the tunnel. Jack the trans up to where you like it, and a little extra for clearance.
    Take the trans back out, and weld in some filler strips."

"Been there done that. Other possible options are to cut a tunnel out of a later car, drop it in and mark around it, cut and weld. Of course, cutting an old hood to make a funnel-tunnel isn't rocket science either. Finally (for now), tunnels are surprisingly easy to beat out. If you just have a few spots, a hand sledge or air hammer can be very effective in making a bit or room. BTW, 1/2" isn't much, and the engine doesn't have to be (and usually isn't) level. If it's that close and clears everything, you may want to leave it there and match the axle pinion angle for driveshaft alignment."

11. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

I have a friend who cuts the tunnels out of AOD equipped 85 thru 88 T-Birds and Cougars. He then uses them in early Falcon and Mustang builds.

12. ranchero7

ranchero7 In First Gear

Thanks all for the upload_2018-3-12_13-4-57.png on the two tone. I believe it's factory since it has an odd 'color' code on the VIN plate that stumps all the online decoders. No one shows a color of '7' for this year.
    ranchero vin plate.jpg

13. ranchero7

ranchero7 In First Gear

Thanks!

14. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Overdrive

My Dupont paint book for 1965 shows code 7 as Phoenician Yellow, mix number 4491. The color is not mixable anymore as the types of paint used then are obsolete now. Our computer list of mixing formulas show nothing. Had it been a special order color the color code would be blank and the DSO would have 4 or 5 numbers following the 72.