Looking at a1973

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by 62restomod, Jul 5, 2019.

1. 62restomod

62restomod In Second Gear

As some of you know I had bought a sight unseen '62 that turned out to be a candidate for the crusher.
    I waited 6 weeks to get it to my house only to sell it 3 days later for a great loss.
    So now that mama CEO is in a better spirits she is warming up to another chance for me to redeem myself.

I found a '73 that is only 1.5 hrs away so it can be driven home. Looks good in pics and the price (12,5000 ask) I think it is fair, been painted 10 years ago 400 2v no air .
    What do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Looks good, but someone should go over it with a fine-tooth comb. Offer to pay for the inspection and the gas for him to bring the car to your mechanic for the inspection. For a $12.K price tag and a motivated seller, it would give you peace of mind, your mech knows where to look for rot, and if it's on the level, be ready to make the deal.

3. 62restomod

That was my previous field of work, please disregard my last adventure I know better than to buy sight unseen but I thought" how bad could it be"
    This listing is on Hemmings and the seller is a classic ,antique and special interest vehicles dealer.

The lister/seller who is selling it said when I asked what he knows about the vehicle Quote" Car is in very good shape very original other than wheels and paint scheme. Engine was recently gone through has only a couple hundred miles since refresh."

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  4. handy_andy_cv64

Salesmen. I've worked sales myself, and the one thing I learned was "Trust, but verify." The best shoppers know to verify what a salesman pitches.

5. RancheroRandy

RancheroRandy In Overdrive

If it's that close go have a look...nothing beats seeing it for yourself! I've been screwed twice buying cars over the internet relying on the honesty and (inaccurate) descriptions from owners. Never again! I travelled about 3.5 hours to check out my latest acquisition in Waverly, not too far from you...

6. 62restomod

I just got an email from him stating "Engine has all new crank bearings etc, gone through properly, machined, rebuilt ready for many years of service. It had spun a bearing."
    Also said they are willing to put it on a lift for my inspection.
    As you said must verify before buy documentation sells!!!

ForistellFord likes this.
  7. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

I'm glad you're doing your due diligence, because even if that price sounds reasonable, it's still an awful lot of coin on a 73. They were, after all, the highest production number year of any Ranchero. Since they came in with the new bumper standards etc that year, they are also not the most collectible ones out there. So, definitely make sure you are getting what you're paying for.

That said, 73 is my favorite year and I would totally love to see that beautiful thing in my driveway. Good luck and I hope it pans out!!

8. 62restomod

Yea! I'm not a big fan of the "new" front bumper but I think it is a reasonably good buy essentially since it has a rebuilt engine , I'm getting too old to do heavy work like that now.
    Back, knee issues you know! That's why I have a lift in my extra 2 bay garage because I don't do ground anymore.
    I know I can fit in it. Had a '72 Torino in its day and then a'74 Torino wagon so this will bring back memories or is it a flashback.

9. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Oh, would I love a 74 Torino wagon. We had a few when I was a kid and I loved them then as much as now. Sigh, but anyway...

I'm looking forward to how this plays out and I hope it's all good. I wonder, do they have pics of the restoration in progress? I always get a bit skittish when I see things like steel plates put on over the body panels, like they did in the bed. Was it swiss cheese under there? Make sure you give the rear of the cab a real good look-over to verify the condition.

10. 62restomod

Thanks, for the advise , I too am wondering whats under the alum. plate I asked in an email to him if the bed plate was removable and never got a answer.
    I also asked in an inquiry what was known about the history, no reply back yet.

One thing I would like to know: if there is a removable panel in the front of the bed like the older ones that may be hiding under the bed plate.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  11. Clark

Clark In Maximum Overdrive

I don't believe there was a removable bed panel from '72 on but there is a great deal of storage space under the bed accessible from behind the seats.

I assume this truck has been garaged for the last 10 years but check on that. Also look for rust along the rear window bottom molding. My '75 rusted out there with water dripping through and rusting out the floor panel beneath the window - all unknown to me.

With my '75, the floor panel rust due to rear window leaks was hidden under the spare tire - which I had never removed. My body/paint man found it when I had the Ranchero repainted.

12. 62restomod

Can the rust be seen on the floor panel from under the vehicle? I most likely will be seeing it Tuesday on a lift.
    I will have a better feel for the vehicle then.

13. handy_andy_cv64

Babe's rust-outs around the cab are, so I can't see why this one's wouldn't. Also, beware some Ford's had underbody treatments that can hide rusting from inside. It's why I didn't know Babe had floorboard holes till I began poking around...the undercoating simply fell off with the rust.

14. 62restomod

So I drove 1.5 hours the see this "gem" Paint looks to be an 8 out of 10
    had the dealer put it on the drive on lift and with a small magnet, and led light I looked at the under side it is heavily covered in undercoat and some had small rust through.
    ran the magnet at bottom of doors, and on the rockers guess what ? some places the magnet did't stick plus very low on the doors and the lower rear panels it is starting to bubble.
    The bed has aluminum diamond plate screwed down so they were't really into removing it
    What I think is the rear bed mounts behind the bumper looks like they were reinforced with "L" channel about 5x5 inches

The only thing the was real good is that the engine was rebuilt crank journals cut and new bearings no other up grades.
    Told the guy I would think about it and drove home

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  15. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

You can do much better for the same money. JMO, YMMV.

16. 62restomod

I know! That's why I told him I'll think about it ( code for I don't want it)

17. handy_andy_cv64

Alright! That's excellent! You now know that either 1) you don't want it for their price, or 2) you want it only at a substantially reduced cost. The engine's the best feature, and its worth likely tops just below $5K, if that. So, I'd say it's at best a $7-8K semi-project car.

18. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Two weeks ago I traded my f-250 4x4 King Ranch for a 2017 F-150 3.5 twin turbo that was a factory order that if it has any more than two options that weren't available I cannot find them. I have the original special order build sheet that when ordered wax 62K, saved more than 30k buying it used it does not have a fart mark on it inside or out. I almost feel bad about the trade the injectors on the 6.0 were about gone and the dealer I bought it from was over a hundred mi away, half a bottle of hot shot secret and a 1/2 a quart of trans fluid in the fuel, it was purring like a kitten. Do I feel bad for the guy that was trying to screw me, no..

19. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

It was not a Ford Dealership, it was a trade in at a Nissan Dealership. Moral of the story is set your own terms.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  20. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

FWIW you probably scored major bonus points with the CIO (I think that is your moniker for her, mine is the Admiral) for being thorough on your assessment. I'm with 65-R- 66G ya gotta be comfortable and being able to set your own terms is "Yuge" advantage, as well as being able to walk away. When the Admiral "made" me go look at Midnight (ask Andy in Ocala, she made me look:p) I told the PO "I don't want to like this car and I don't have the cash." His initial price was $8K, after the test drive and poking around and finding "things he said the "Lowest I will go is $4.5K." I told him it would take a couple of days to a week to put together the money and that I would get back to him one way or the other. Long story short, I drove away at $4K even but was ready to walk all the way up till I handed him the cash.

Cheers,

Doc

Hillbilly and 1965 Ranchero 66G like this.