Looking for a good auto transport company

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Shok, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Shok

Shok In Third Gear

Anyone have a company to suggest? I need to have a 63 tbird brought from Santa Monica to Salinas. It will most likely run well enough (I plan to prep it first) to drive on the truck, but worse case scenario it will need to be pushed.

I was pricing out the uhaul rental and when all is said and done I don't think I will save enough to make it worth doing myself.

Direct Express Auto Transport gave a workable estimate online, Yelp reviews are not too hot though.

andrewok1 likes this.
  2. Tygr1

Tygr1 In Fourth Gear SILVER MEMBER

I used Direct Express to move my 72 Chero from Sacramento to San Antonio and it all worked out very well.

3. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Tygr1, what did you pay if you don't mind my asking?

4. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

Yes ,u haul I here is like a 100.00 and if u have a truck that's most likely the cheaper way

5. Tygr1

Tygr1 In Fourth Gear SILVER MEMBER

$550. Price will depend on how much notice they receive before shipping.

6. Shok

Shok In Third Gear

Ok that's one vote for Direct Express.

I don't have a truck to pull with and using the mileage rate that uhaul gave I would be pushing 500 and that's not figuring my fuel and time.

7. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

Yea no truck puts you in jam for sure ,,heres a quote from UHAUL.....
    Trucks
    /* Some tab modifications since they are bigger and have images on this page. */ .tabs { height: 7.5em; } .tabs li { text-align: center; width: 10.5em; } .tabs li.tab_ubox { width: 12em; } .tabs li img { margin-bottom: .5em; }
    Rates for Salinas, CA to Santa Monica, CA on 12/18/2016
    Frequently asked rental questions
    Reservation type

Don't have a hitch? Buy online and save $10 on installation. We also offer a free towing inspection at most U-Haul locations.

What are you towing with?
    Car or truck RV U-Haul Truck
    Year
    Make
    Model
    Features
    Hitch system rating - What's this?

What is being towed?
    Car or truck Motorcycle
    Year
    Make
    Model
    Features

Rear Wheel Drive
    • All rates include up to 3 days of use. $ 113.00
    Auto Transport
    [​IMG]

Ideal for long distance moves.

Towing vehicle requirements:
    • All towing is subject to inspection. You will need to contact a U-Haul location to schedule a vehicle pre-tow inspection prior to the rental.
    • We do not show this hitch rating is available for this vehicle! Re-verify before rental.
    • You will need to have a U-Haul location verify your towing vehicle's hitch system before hooking up U-Haul equipment to this vehicle. Refer to the rating labels found on the towing vehicle's hitch, ball mount and ball to determine the maximum load weight carrying capabilities for your hitch system (FYI: When you look for this rating on these labels be sure that you refer to the maximum weight carrying rating and not the maximum weight distribution rating). See a local U-Haul center for assistance.
    Towed vehicle requirements
    • All towing is subject to inspection. You will need to contact a U-Haul location to schedule a vehicle pre-tow inspection prior to the rental.
    • OVERSIZED TIRES OPTION - If the supplied wheel straps on the trailer cannot be used with the cargo for any reason, including oversized tires (more than 30 inches actual diameter) or vehicle clearance, you are responsible for supplying your own tie-downs to properly secure the load.
    • Check the vehicle being pulled for oversized tires to ensure that the vehicle's width does not exceed the auto transport width capacity.
    • Check the vehicle being pulled for running boards to ensure that the vehicle's width does not exceed the auto transport width capacity.
    • Watch vehicle clearance when loading/unloading.

8. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Jesus, they really do everything to keep from getting sued!

9. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

When I needed to tow my niece's Taurus from Monmouth, OR to the shop ten miles North of Seattle, I had Dad's '90 F150 5.0L and went to get a single-axle dolly to tow it with; U-Haul's system stated I needed a 3/4 ton truck minimum to dolly-tow a 3600 pound car! The truck is rated for 5K weight-carrying and was built by the factory with their factory trailer towing features. Dear U-Haul, don't need to hide behind legal restrictioneze; just make everyone buy insurance. Signed, responsible driver.

10. Shok

Shok In Third Gear

Yeah weird when I got the uhaul quote I think the price was about the same but on another page the was the charge per mile and when I did the math uhaul went out the window.
    Which is actually good since I have very limited time and now don't have to go down there to just turn around and come back.

11. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Thanks for the reply. I was pricing a trip from Spokane to Phoenix....engine and some other parts were in the bed....was a 71 GT with numbers matching 429 SCJ....prices were all over $1200....and that was with plenty of lead time. They don't like dealing with loose objects...especially when they're heavy.

Sadly, I saw the car in person and it was, literally, held together by its paint.

12. Bryan59EC

Bryan59EC In Overdrive

The guy that brought my Ranchero from Whittier to San Antonio I believe was
    White Horse Transport
    Does not go anywhere east of the eastern Texas state line
    Cost for that trip (about 1400mi) was around $700 about 5 or six years ago.
    Santa Monica to Salinas is what--about 250-300 mi?
    shouldn't be too difficult to find someone to get it upstate a bit.

13. Shok

Shok In Third Gear

I'll look up that company and yeah I think around 300 miles