Looks like NAPA no longer carries the rotors for a 72 upgrade

Discussion in 'General Automotive Questions' started by Bronxguinea, Jul 15, 2018.

1. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

2. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

From my '65 shop manual:

IMG_1596.JPG

3. colnago

Gad, that took a bit of reading - and rereading - to figure it out! My brain said diameter, not lining dimension. I was wondering how they could be specifying two different diameters for the same drum!

Any idea what the color code is? I'll have to pull out my shop manuals tonight.

Joseph

4. beerbelly

No, I'm not sure what the color codes are; maybe color-coded shoes from the factory? If so, it may not come into play with aftermarket shoes.

5. beerbelly

colnago likes this.
  6. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

I like them too Dan. Just got drilled and slotted rotors for one of the 96 Roadmaster wagons from them. Nice quality parts plated perfectly and still true after being shipped from Cali. I like not having to do a touch up trueing out of the box. Came with what looks to be quality ceramic pads too. $206 total for both fronts and the pads. Next will be trying a set on a 95 Town Car. I like that they carry modified parts along with stock replacement discs and drums.

colnago likes this.
  7. colnago

I just ordered drums/shoes/etc, but put my own "kit" together. The kits on RockAuto only had a 3-month warranty. I ordered Bendix drums/shoes, which carry a 12-month warranty. Hopefully, in two weeks, I'll have new drums all around!

Joseph

On edit, my '65 shop manual had the chart you posted above, but my '64 shop manual didn't.

8. Hillbilly

Getting the rear brakes functioning correctly will be a huge step toward making your Ranchero a comfortable driver. Those rear brakes do a lot more work than folks give them credit for.

9. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

Fixed ;).

10. Hillbilly

Amen ! I won't argue about that fact. Extra hardware to juggle when assembling always adds to the fun. And if you are lucky the parking brake cables are still free to move as intended and haven't been monkeyed with causing all kinds of fun when you try to put everything together as intended.

11. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Parking brake cables should be considered for replacement for a vehicle that old .
    Back then the inner cables were not coated with nylon or a plastic coating and depending on the area of the country they can form a rust bond that could bind the cable from releasing all the way.
    Plus if used frequently the cables can stretch to the point that you run out of adjustment.
    As everybody knows parking brakes get used more with manual trans.