Lost in Harley Land

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by HVAC22, Feb 12, 2019.

1. HVAC22

HVAC22 In Third Gear GOLD MEMBER

I haven't owned a bike since 1983, had a customized Honda 750/ Four.
    Have a customer that wants to trade me his Harley for complete demolition and install of new HVAC system.
    Wondering if I could get some advise from you guys and gal of what value there is in the bike. What view of pic would I need to post so it can be id'ed. I think he said it was 2012 Electra Glide seems to be well accessorize, 12,300 miles, custom paint job. Led Zepplen, Ray Price tribute bike. I'm at a total loss in Harley land!

2. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

What is your guess about how much you would have in his system ? A scooter is only worth what a buyer will give for it. Asking prices are all over the map. Have you ridden it and does it behave as promised ? The Harley in this pic was a solid build but it only brought $8500. The rifle is worth more than the bike. Harley.JPG

andrewok1 likes this.
  3. HVAC22

Thanks Hillbilly for the reply, if I have a crew do he project I will have around $7500 in it. If I do the work myself with my son around $5500 +/-.
    I watched him start the bike and listened to it running, did sound so bad ass. Have not ridden it, he has not ridden it much he said because of health issue, bad knees hard for him to hold up. Picture I took on my phone. Been told Harley are very expensive to have worked on and they require quite a bit of attention. I do have access to Harley Dealerships in two locations about 20 miles from me in either direction. Don't need a money pit, but if its a good swap and I decide to sell it the money could help fund my Ranchero project. :)

Attached Files:

4. Freestyle Don

Freestyle Don In Third Gear BRONZE MEMBER

I dunno. Unless you were looking for a bike? It`s a way out for him to off the bike and get work done. Why doesn`t he sell it himself? You get paid for your work, AND you can still do those Ranchero projects.

Dyno and cbolt like this.
  5. HVAC22

Well Freestyle, that's a legitimate question. Guess he figures its easier to trade than put up with the aggravation of selling. I get these propositions a lot, I generally ignore them. Love the bike but rather have my Ranchero.

Freestyle Don likes this.
  6. Freestyle Don

Freestyle Don In Third Gear BRONZE MEMBER

Aggravation of selling a bike?........:(
    Of course, everyone wants to `test ride`. On our last bikes {wife & I}. Had buyer pay cash {which would be refunded in full if not interested and bike returned undamaged}. If they didn`t have the cash, then they don`t get a test ride.
    Also, had a neighbor who rode along w/them. So ride as much as necessary, with some controls. Not all motorcycle riders are created equal. Huge liabilities for sellers.

7. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

thats no a deal that sounds bad, pay attention to what you said ,7500.00 for install & mateiral ,+ labor , ,, 5500.00 if you do it, PROFIT =====

in all the 28 years of A/C work, i learned a key fact ::: if you do not make a profit why step in the truck and leave your home

8. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Unless you know Harleys and really want one and can ride one safely, stay away from it. In order to sell it, the bike has to be marketable and as a noob, you have no way to know what it is worth and to whom to sell it. If a trade is your thing, the trade needs to at least be equitable or possibly more profitable than the cash price. As stated above, selling it could be a pain.

Freestyle Don likes this.
  9. HVAC22

Good point

10. HVAC22

Gotcha Andrewok1, but we were talking cost only. If the bike had a reasonable value over my cost of the install then that is my profit. Owner claiming bike is worth 12k, I don't know kinda why I was asking input from you guys and gals that own /know about them.
    My Dad always said about working, 'I may go home tired and hungry but I be damned if I go home broke!"
    I appreciate your concern for my bottom line, fellow hvac brother good man!

andrewok1 likes this.
  11. HVAC22

That will curb the tire kickers for sure.

12. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

In your travels take the picture to a Harley Dealer, tell him the mileage and ask what they would give you for it. If he says $12,000 go for it. If he says $5,000 - that lets you know where you are. From the limited research I have done the price range is $11,500 to $8,500. Just selling it to a dealer will be less hassle but will also result in getting something less than it's full value - they have to be able to sell it and get something for it.

You know your business better than anyone - this looks like a deal where you could make a little more in the arrangement, or possibly break even. Or the customer could just take it to a dealer or Car-Max type of business and get the cash to pay you. Probably simpler for you.

andrewok1 likes this.
  13. HVAC22

Bike and gun is nice but can't take my eyes off the Ford in the background. :D

14. HVAC22

Thanks 72GTVA, thats why I put this thread on here, I'm not bright enough to think of these things or at least at the time I was contemplating the offer.
    It has served me well over my 30+years in business not to boarder, guess no need to start now.

andrewok1 likes this.
  15. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Good eyes for nice iron you got there. 66 Galaxie fastback, 390/ C6, I'm the second owner. Granny driven rust free local car. Driver's seat needs recovered thanks to Granny couldn't keep her coffee cup upright. And the answer is no, not for sale, sorry.

16. As Is '66

As Is '66 2 Wheeled Mod Staff Member

My Harley sits more than ridden, I use it for rallies, where I stay inside on private property...
    But it`s an antique Kick start Only and I ain`t putting a tag on it, unless my two Hondas quit working, then I`ll consider it...

I`d check prices on the internet...
    As @Hillbilly says, Prices range all over the map and people think their Harley is worth more than I`ll pay, MOST of the time...
    Unfamiliar with the model/year that you`re considering, so I`d ask Google about this one...
    OR the Harley dealers as suggested from @72GTVA ...

It`s fishing season,
    As Is

17. HVAC22

Damn Hillbilly, you are so old car rich but yet so stingy! ;)

18. HVAC22

Thanks for the input AS IS 66! Even you seem to have as primary bikes a Honda, that is what I seem to be seeing and hearing. Most of the advice I have been giving from off this site is to go get a Goldwing if you want a road bike and stay away from the expensive Hogs.

19. HVAC22

That's ok Hillbilly I got this to drive!

Attached Files:

plumcolr likes this.
  20. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Here's a way to look at it too... You haven't had a bike since 83. Have you been thinking for a long time prior to this offer about getting back into one? Or has your interest been piqued since this offer was made? If you really won't ride it much and you may have barterer's remorse, maybe pass on this and get the bike you want on your own terms if you decide you really want one.

You've been getting a lot of good advice about ensuring the trade would be fair, but even if it is and you rarely ride it, what value have you gotten?

Hillbilly likes this.