Lost Ranchero seat parts duplicated

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by GRUMANIA, Jan 31, 2019.

1. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Second Gear

Hi there,
    I would like to show you some homemade parts that got lost, to encourage you to do such parts on your own.
    When I bought a used and rusty split bench seat for my 72 Ranchero that needed new upholstery, I never expected this to be so challenging.I finally found out that the new upholstery does not include all the plastic parts I need to complete the seats.Luckily I had one of the original parts ( bushings for the safety belts ) in the wrong color and decided to invest some time in making my own molds to produce copies.
    The homemade parts are really nice now.
    The two parts on top are the originals, the other three parts the duplicates new and old.jpg

Carl Steinbarger and beerbelly like this.
  2. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Second Gear

Thats how the part looks in the new upholstery

Ilja

Attached Files:

Carl Steinbarger likes this.
  3. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

Very nice! You need to write up a how-to (with pics, of course). Either that, or sell your services on this site.

Joseph

Carl Steinbarger likes this.
  4. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Second Gear

Thanks for the kind words,
    thats what I do in real life and the reason why I can make these molds. cockpit.jpg taildetail.jpg

5. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

Looks great, What kind of plastic did you use? Are they semi Flexible?
    I have some plastic pieces similar to that I would like to have manufactured.

6. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Second Gear

The plastic is a special two pack resin that cures in about 10 minutes. The made parts are only flexible when heat is applied, otherwise hard as glass.
    Ilja

7. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

You professionally build scale models? Or do you professionally engineer scale model kits? Those parts you made look excellent. I'd like to find a new set of the safety belt plastic sheaths, but I have a feeling there won't be any available, which I think making repros of them would be something you could accomplish.

8. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I built the hell out of model planes, tanks, ships, etc., when I was a kid. What scale are those? The cockpit looks real. As does the tail.

9. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Second Gear

I don`t want to go off topic with my jet company,anyone who is interested can get a little impression about my "real life" here:
    www.grumania.com
    Ilja
    PS : Will make another reproduction partt today and show some pics.As said earlier, I want to encourage you to trust your own ability rather than hunt for weels to get a rare part.It is so rewarding to do things with your own hands.

10. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Second Gear

Just assembled the upholstery with the new parts seatpart.jpg

11. handy_andy_cv64

So your company makes large-scale models for R/C? And, because you have a Schwalbe on your site's cover page, I should let you know, this is in my city, at the same airport you find Boeing commercial jet production:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Me_262_Project

12. handy_andy_cv64

Anyway, as to reproducing parts, I talked about the sleeve that goes on the female buckle strap for the seat belts; are you familiar with it? and if so, is it still in any kind of production? Parts this old are not marked with what plastic was used to make them.

13. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Second Gear

......the sleeve that goes on the female buckle strap.....

I thought the part I made is the the part you mentioned ??????

14. TestDummy

I am jealous of you both. Awesome stuff. To round it out, I joined the Flying Pilgrims Facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/FlyingPilgrims/) after I watched a video they posted, and realized their mini-airport sits on land that used to be owned by Ford Tractor, and where I worked pretty much non-stop (6 days a week) for three years.

15. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Second Gear

Another challenge - A friend was in need for a super rare tank cap for his 1960 Lambretta scooter.He gave me the shown part after sand blasting it. After filling the breather holes, we made a mold. original.jpg

16. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Second Gear

Thats the result I had after demolding . copy.jpg

17. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Second Gear

The quality of the material is much better than that of the original and I`m sure it will last another 50 years until he asks me for the next one :)

TestDummy likes this.
  18. TestDummy

What's your take on 3D scanning and printing? Seems to be the future, but I don't think the material would last nearly as long as one from a mold.

19. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I've been fascinated by these large scale planes lately; very cool Grumania! I also found a bunch of videos of small-scale car engines; here's a mini flathead with Ardun heads: