Mad Max - RocketLaunchero (my 1974)

Discussion in 'The Stable' started by ajax22, Sep 13, 2019.

1. ajax22

ajax22 In First Gear

I mentioned this project in the intro forum but now that progress is getting made I kind of wanted to put its own thread togeather.

This is what she looked like starting out:

[​IMG]

Here she is with the initial hood scoop, and the meat plow mounted (at this point there wasn't enough ground clearance to even get out of the yard

[​IMG]

here she is with some proper springs up front out of a grand marquis waggon with the big block option, a 4 inch lift in the rear, (rear 31 inch tires)

[​IMG]

This got the ride height a bit more reasonable

[​IMG]

the fresh low compression 400M thats built in it has a nice setup with a holly 650 double pumper on it, but ultimately its getting blown with this:

[​IMG]

I used a long snout C6 (freebie) and welded up a custom trans cross member. (here is a pic in case anyone else wants to do it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here she is with the dash ripped out.

[​IMG]

good pic of the tires and ride height

[​IMG]

Pic of the flamethrower exhaust

[​IMG]

I used the bench seat rails that came on the car and modified a set of malibu SS seats to work on them,

I REALLY REALLY NEED A SECOND SET OF BENCH SEAT RAILS!!! please if anyone has any.

Here is the 30 pound nitrous tank I'm trying to fit into the little area under the back

[​IMG]

Solenoids for the nitrous

[​IMG]

Drivers Door pannel work in progress

[​IMG]

exhaust mocked up with tips installed

[​IMG]

Passenger Door panel

[​IMG]

Passenger Door panel installed

[​IMG]

Dash starting to come togeather

[​IMG]

Steering column modified to get rid of all the junk

[​IMG]

Here it is with the detachable steering wheel

[​IMG]

Critical parts highlights will be:
    • Street legal!!! so we can ride around in it (key)
    • Fully Functional supercharged 400 cubic inch engine sticking out of the hood
    • Functional Katyusha style Rocket launchers, (yes they are legal if non explosive)
    • Pneumatic heavy cannon mounted to roll bar that shoots pool balls semi auto
    • PA system for "just walk away" moments and letting other motorists know about immanent road hazards.
    • FinishedXXXXXX Custom fury road style push bumper (meat plow)
    • roll bar with off road lights and pintell mount
    • riot cages for windows
    • Flame throwing exhaust system (for off road use only i pinky swear)
    • FinishedXXXXX Mad max XB style side pipes
    • FinishedXXXXX Detachable steering wheel.

Optional extras if we have the enough funds:
    • Custom aluminum dash board with gauges from aircraft*
    • Bomber style nose art with a 70's twist
    • train or boat horn with compressor system
    • Rear tow bumper with winch
    • coil over rear suspension
    • Finished XXXXX c6 transmission with quarter stick shift
    • Re-gear 9 inch rear end and put in locker
    • thermadore style swamp cooler
    • bench seat for bed transport of warboys
    • Beer dispensing trailer (holds 10 kegs, a dirt bike and has a 'waterboarding setup' for wasteland weekend
    Disclaimer - I have a go-fund me set up for this https://www.gofundme.com/RocketLaunchero

2. ajax22

ajax22 In First Gear

Here is the first video I made to doccument where I'm at so far

colnago likes this.
  3. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

4. ajax22

ajax22 In First Gear

Thanks,

I'll try to get those ordered monday (unless I can scrounge one up locally somehow

5. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

That started out as a pretty decent Ranchero, if photos don't lie. Good floors and everything. Is this for a movie or something?

6. ajax22

ajax22 In First Gear

As rancheros go it wasn’t horrible to start

All the wiring was ripped out and it had had an engine fire at some point

Plus it was owned by tweakera (I actually found a few meth pipes inside the car while I was cutting it

And there are a lot of odd dings, paint has been keyed, etc

Plus their is a little corrosion from cat piss that sat for a long time in the floors

But it’s an original ca car

And the fact that a meth lab literally burned down around it didn’t seem to hurt it too bad.

7. TestDummy

You should somehow incorporate a Breaking Bad element into it. Part of a Pontiac Aztec or a Winnebago.

Basstrix likes this.
  8. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

It's going to do this when you're done, right?

[​IMG]

Hillbilly, TestDummy and colnago like this.
  9. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Whatever cranks your tractor. I really don't understand why the option of restoring that Ranchero wasn't in the mix but it isn't my car so my opinion means nothing. Thinking if you really wanted to go road warrior you could have gone my route. I like reality, my rigs make sure that bumper can't get close enough to ram me. They aren't PC but I am beyond caring about how they are perceived. DSCN1358.JPG DSCN1357.JPG

10. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I hope, for the MUTT's sake, there's a powerhouse under the hood. My big brother Fred was 82D ABN, and he hated the M151. Vastly underpowered like the Jeep's, prone to overheating and flips like a cheese omlette. Even attempted to get the Division Transportation Officer to okay building and installing roll cages in-house, at the soldier's own cost. He, of course, nixed that great idea.

11. handy_andy_cv64

And what gets me is your MUTT looks like it has a roll cage, among other things. Fred got out before Humvees made it to the divisions.

12. ajax22

ajax22 In First Gear

The exhaust has the bungs for flamethrowers and I’m inatalling the kit.

Need to track down some gas residue leaking from the tank before I spark it up

I wasn’t really looking for a restoration project, I wanted to do a mad max car and found a $450 ranchero that seemed like a good starting point

They aren’t very expensive out here or desirable factory....

I gave away a perfectly straight rolling chassis because I couldn’t sell it for $100 (I just nabbed the rear end and the windshield from it)

It’s weird how popular and pricey the elcaminos are around here and how neglected the cheros are

Hillbilly and TestDummy like this.
  13. TestDummy

That should be on the home page of this site.

14. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

For some reason, I can't pull up the pictures....will try later from personal computer.

15. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Well, not knocking your Ranchero. If they are plentiful and cheap in your area I understand building one that should be a hit at cruise-ins. Keep us informed with your progress, looks like a fun build and definitely unique. Andy, both the Mutt and buggy were done by Cosworth across the pond in England. Seems they know a bit about sway bars and engines. Both look top heavy as the dickens but they corner nice and flat. Still wouldn't drive them without having cages that are installed on them. Jury is out on the engines, some healthy version of a Rover engine that goes like stink. They can run circles around the standard issue versions that I agree are dogs. Guess I will find out exactly what those engines are when I have to find parts for them.

16. handy_andy_cv64

I bet you will. Funny story: back when I was in junior high in the very late Seventies, Fred's platoon was in a C141 on their way to Alaska when it developed fuel or engine trouble, never was able to get the straight skinny and I forgot to ask Fred before his untimely death. Anyway the plane is over Oregon or Washington, so since McChord AFB had C141s based there ATT, they made a beeline, landed without incident. After talking with the loadmaster about the problem, Fred decides they're gonna grab some M151s and race the 60 or so miles up Interstate 5 to here, Everett, to visit with the family. One problem--they wanted enough time to visit but had to make the trip in 45-50 minutes. Fred knew it'd be close, but he and a few friends of his loaded up into 3 MUTTs, and raced off to Everett. Unfortunately, they didn't make it...State Patrol pulled them over. As Fred was driving, the trooper went to him, said "Do you mind telling me why you're speeding in military vehicles on an Interstate highway?" And Fred said, "Sir! It is a violation of Federal law to interrupt military vehicles in convoy!"

colnago likes this.