Magnum 500 wheels

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Clark, Aug 4, 2008.

1. drlance

drlance In Fourth Gear

Those wheels look GREAT!!! It looks like no problems with clearance either!!!
    Cool beans!! Now I just have to save a little harder....... Maybe fewer cokes during the week?
    It's a nice combination!!! Congrats LSCHERO!!!!

I forgot about the 3-bar spinners..... Hmmm..... I may have to put my new centercaps up on e-bay and rethink the spinners.........

Lance

2. 460Ranchero

460Ranchero In Third Gear

3. pmac

pmac In Second Gear

Most of the Magnums that are sold on the West Coast are from Specialty Wheels in Portland, Oregon. www.specialtywheelsltd.org

They are suppliers to many of the retailers. They also sell "blems", lug nuts and centre caps.

I believe one of the Ford repro places(Drake's?) made a centre cap that bolts on from the back. It is the correct Ranchero style, costs a bit more, but you won't lose them.

I'm going for a set of 15x7's when I get going on the '73.

Peter

4. trikar

trikar In Maximum Overdrive

5. Clark

Clark In Maximum Overdrive

Finally got my Magnums mounted tonight. Plenty of clearance and all looks great. Only one problem with the Scott Drake repro three-bar spinners: three-bars over five spokes means that two of three lug nuts are fully or partially covered. I can get those two lug nuts snug with an open end wrench but not really torqued like they should be. I thought a short 13/16 half-inch drive socket on a flex handle would do it, but either I can't get the socket on, or I can't get it back off with the nut properly tightened. Must be some way to do this - too many have been sold. I could probably weld a flat bar to a short 13/16 socket but anyone else know what to do?

Before:
    [​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2008
  6. 460Ranchero

460Ranchero In Third Gear

thanks Trikar, no idea on the vents...were on the car when I bought it. I'd take them off but then I'd have to paint the car and I really like the old patina'd paint.

7. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Thanks guys.Summit wheels are made by wheel vintiques,fresno,ca,nice quality wheels.Centers are crap for the $$,push on plastic,but look nice.Vents look like 77 cougar?

8. LSChero

Clark,use lock-tight on set screw on center cap. The stuff that doesnt set.Tighten center only enough so able to still move.Snug 3 lugs,use rubber mallet rotate 45 degrees and torque lugs.Recheck lug torque first 100 miles.

9. Clark

Sorry LSChero. These Scott Drake spinners use a centering cup from the back side with tabs to prevent cup rotation. The spinners are bolted to the cup with a guide stud and two 1/4" bolts. Hence, they won't rotate unless, of course, I grind the tabs off the centering cups. I'm thinking I'll weld a long bar to a socket and heat/shape the bar in an "S" shape to clear the spinner, tire, and fender.

10. sarah

sarah Pic Moderator Staff Member

They look great Clark.... :D all hotrods need BFG's :D

11. LSChero

My bad,Should of read profile first,aero space engineer wants to know to tighten lug nuts...duh..Iam sharp as bowling ball but run straight.Wheels look outstanding and 76 is killler.Show us pic from back with 275 meats.I hope my 73 will look half as clean as your ride.

12. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Clark can you use a shortened 13/16 spark plug socket and a box end wrench with "cheater bar"?

13. rancheromeister

rancheromeister In Overdrive

Clark, try a integral flex socket, or impact flex socket. Try a long 'wobble' extension. Looks like if you could invert your piece on the backside of the cap in exactly the opposite direction (upside down), the wheel spokes would line up with the spinner spokes. :cool:JD

14. Clark

Thanks Carl. I knew a good mechanic would know what to do. I'd thought about welding a nut on the end of a short 13/16" socket but a shortened 13/16 spark plug socket and a box end wrench with "cheater bar" is ready made!

Opps. Checked my spark plug socket. The hex section is only maybe 1" deep. Shortening this socket is not going to work, but have another idea.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2008
  15. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

What does the vendor suggest? Surely they've heard of this issue more than once?

16. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

And sweet wheels......................:cool:

17. Clark

Vendor says they've never heard of this problem. However, the acorn lug nuts with the wheel kit were not deep enough for the Ranchero wheels studs. Hence, less room between the spinner and the lug nut than perhaps on other vehicles like a Mustang. So, made my own lug wrench from a 13/16" short socket and a piece of 9/16" drill rod (and threw out that original Ford clunker).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2008
  18. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Killer -- love home-made tools.