Marvel Mystery Oil Question

Discussion in 'General Automotive Questions' started by Jimbob, May 18, 2020.

1. Jimbob

Jimbob SITE SUPPORTER- SILVER GOLD MEMBER

Probably a dumb question, but here goes...

How long is it safe to leave Marvel Mystery oil in the crankcase? ...been trying to free up stuck lifters in an LM7 motor (2000 Silverado 5.3) every 'fix' have tried so far has worked great for a short period and then made the problem worse! ...this is the last thing im going to try before i tear into it (300K+ so probably what i should have done a while back)

Lifters have always gone quiet once warmed up a little, but were taking longer and longer

So far:
    ATF worked for a month
    Pickup O ring and good quality synthinetic oil and filter worked for 1 day
    Liqui Molly lifter additive, worked for two days.

I just did an engine flush (first time ever in any vehicle) out of desperation, then fresh oil with 20% Marvel Mystery oil, two days in so far and still quiet

So the bottle says, 'replace 20% of your oil at next oil change with it' so in the new oil right? but it also says, 'to use as an engine flush, add 300 miles before next oil change' so my question is, is it safe to leave in the motor more than 300 miles? a full oil cycle?

i cut the filter open after the flush and found at 15 or so tiny silver flakes, couldnt pick them up with a magnet though so might just be from the new oil pan i put on recently

2. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

I've had some good luck with that over the years. I've never gone more than a few hundred miles with it in the crankcase though. I do use it in the gas tank every couple tankfuls as prescribed. Love that MMO.

3. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Several thousand miles? I wouldn't myself. It doesn't have the same lubricating properties as regular oil, much less synthetic.

4. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

It's also a detergent and quickly fouls the oil and filter. But it's silenced many a ticking lifter for me over the years.

5. Jimbob

My lifters are beyond ticking, more like a knocking noise!

TestDummy likes this.
  6. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I hear there is a little blue pill for that now.

ForistellFord and Jimbob like this.
  7. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I know you mentioned trans fluid, but here was my cure.
    If you're going to dive into it anyway
    We used to do what we called"the Red Oil run"
    Dump the oil and fill with Trans fluid and run in low " to keep the revs up" for 2 miles and while hot drain , replace filter and oil
    But in your case it it may lead to many bad things
    Kerosene works, Old, old Timer remedy

8. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Years ago a guy stopped in Dad's shop demonstrating Marvel Mystery Oil. He was driving a 235cid straight six 1957 Chevy. He let everyone check out his car then had the mechanics dump the oil. He broke out five quarts of Marvel and had them fill his engine with it. Was no oil filter as they were optional back then. He and Dad then drove that car on a ten mile trip, then dumped the Marvel oil but did not put any oil back in it. They all then piled in the old Chevy and went to lunch in it. The eat joint they chose was around a ten mile round trip from the shop. The guy had a mechanical oil pressure guage hooked up to prove the before and after readings. When they got back from eating he had the shop guys pour in five quarts of Havoline 10w40 and on restart the guage read just like before they started. That engine had hydraulic lifters that never made a tick even after being run dry. Go figure ! I have never had a problem running a quart of Marvel substituted for one of the quarts for the duration of an oil change. That fellow ran the same car demonstrating Marvel oil for a good ten years until rust got the best of the body. Make your own decisions, I just know what I have seen.

ForistellFord and Jimbob like this.
  9. Jimbob

If it keeps my lifter up, I'll try anything.

10. Jimbob

Great story Hillbilly, I have run ATF in the motor for a month or so, but never used MMO before, but it sure is real thin stuff, was worried about it thinning the oil too much.

I'm thinking what's happening here is all sludge is loosening up and moving around the motor and ending up in the lifters. When I pulled the oil pan was surprised how bad it looked inside yet how well it was running minus the lifter noise. I'm worried about having one rotate and wipe the cam out. I should be able to tell or not if it's going to work within 300ish miles.

11. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

You may have a valve sticking in a valve guide in the head, or more than one. I have had good luck freeing up stuck valves by dribbling Marvel oil in thru the carb using a small coke bottle to slowly pour the oil in. Get the engine up to running temp then finagle the fast idle cam up to the first notch, engine should be running around 1200 rpm, then dribble the oil in thru the carb throat. Do this outside as the engine IS going to produce tremendous amounts of smoke out the exhaust. It may take maybe four rounds of oil to free stuck valves. I do it at night to keep from freaking out the neighbors. A quart of Marvel in a half tank of fuel helps after you get the valves moving correctly. Word of caution = If you have working catalytic converters, the addition of Marvel oil will kill them if poured in thru the carb. If the converters are working and you don't care if you kill them, have a water hose handy to cool them off periodicaly. Nothing like glancing down at the exhaust and seeing the converters glowing like they just came out of a blast furnace. Use a hose and water, do not spray them with an ABC fire extinguisher. Fire extinguisher give you a serious spark show that you can't control.

12. pmrphil

LS engines have had lifter and cam bearing issues since their inception. The worst ones are the AFM lifters - they shut down for no reason, then will activate again for the same no reason - sporadic. LS cam bearings will "move" from the original position, and I have done a couple where they have completely moved out of the cam tunnel and wrapped around the cam and taken out lifters. If you have AFM change the lifters, but know they are pricey.

13. TestDummy

I think that 'guy' pulled a fast one as that had little to do with MMO. I've run engines without oil until they've seized. One was my old Chevy van with a straight 6 that leaked like a colander. I'd let it cool, put in some oil and drive away.

14. Jimbob

Thats a good point, hadnt considered that. I got the multiple misfire code twice, both occasions when it was really bad, but you get that with the lifters also. Next time is acts up im gonna pull the valve covers and see whats going on with it.

Remind me never to buy a car from you ha ha :D

ForistellFord likes this.
  15. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Hillbilly's just made me think about something we used to do
    I don't know if it is still made but there was something called GM Top Engine cleaner (I just goggled it and it is not the same formula)
    There is also Seafoam products that will work , At this point what have you go to loose?

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  16. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Oooh, I remember GM Top Engine Clean, I've used it, and I've used Dexron, and I've even used a spray bottle of water, to clean valves and carbon build-up, but never to free sticky valves.

17. TestDummy

In high school a friend bought a Maverick for parts. It had a straight six, three on tree, and looking back, was in very good condition (salvage title, though). After removing all the parts, and before the wrecker came to get it, we decided to see if we could get the old, greasy engine running. Odd were it wouldn't because there was no oil in it. We hooked a fuel line from a red gas can to the fuel pump and jumped it. Damn thing fired up and ran. We then tried to blow it up, A brick on the gas pedal and this this was screaming. But it wouldn't blow up. We drained the coolant. The spark plugs were turning so hot you could almost see through them. It finally starting running slower and slower, until it finally coughed and backfired, then died. I bet it would have started again if we let it cool down.

ForistellFord likes this.
  18. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Those inlines have seven main bearings, to prevent crankshaft whip. I don't think they have a 'redline.'

TestDummy likes this.
  19. Jimbob

Okay, bit of an update....MMO didnt help much either, so...

...I pulled the heads, lifters were in pretty good shape for a 300k mile motor (they were even still tight in the trays), the lifter internal bores however were just gummed up with varnish near the tops, the piston could move inside but got stuck near the top. Soaked them in all kids of stuff to get one apart but patience ran out and i bought a new set from Summit as some of the roller needle bearings felt a little rough also (probably from being hammered flat by the cam)

Just had a real close look at the old rollers, checking for wear and damage. Once id wiped all the oil off them i noticed that about 5 of the rollers had very light scoring but no other damage. You can barely feel anything under your finger nail for most of them, and on the ones you can only just.

Anyone got any thoughts on if im asking for trouble not swapping the Cam also? which i dont really want to do tbh. Truck is only used as a daily driver with a little towing use only and its already got 300k on it (2000 5.3 Silverado)

20. pmrphil

If the cam doesn't have a "rough" finish (torn up), leave it alone.