Meeting members from the forum .Doc & wife

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by andrewok1, Mar 24, 2019.

1. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER GOLD MEMBER

I had a chance to meet DOC & DEBORAH his wife ,
    they ventured down from West Virginia Beach to purchase parts from Nemo 77 chero ,
    Todd Aqurtlow was able to meet up as well,
    very nice couple seems it was her Birthday, but he was getting presents
    Come back anytime
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEBORAH

ForistellFord and TestDummy like this.
  2. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Third Gear

It was/is an epic adventure that continues today. I took the opportunity to combine a parts run with a long needed vacation for my wife and I. It was GREAT meeting Andy and Todd and seeing thier awesome rides in person. More to come.

Cheers,

Doc

3. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

West Virginia isn't on the coast.

4. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER GOLD MEMBER

when you throw in a tire tube it can be

5. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Third Gear

Well, we made back all in mostly one piece. I guess I could be from West Virginia Beach, I'm nearer to Norfolk than the ocean front, LOL. I can't say enough about Andy's hospitality and parts selection!!!! The tale of the travel was epic. It began as a far off thought for a speed run to FL for parts, that turned into a very much needed (didn't know it at the time) 4 day vacation.Long story short the wife's birthday was last weekend which is when we originally planned it but I decided that Savannah, GA was a good mid way point. For some reason the week before was like $200 more per room per night (turned out that St Patrick's day is a HUGE event in Savannah) so we pushed it off to the next week, lucky for us as there were 19 arrested and a pretty major sh!t storm for that event. Our weekend was perfect if but a little windy on Friday n Saturday. Savannah is an amazing town especially if you are into history and period architecture, oh it also helps if you don't mind great food and lots of drinks. You can pub crawl with "To Go" cups!!! Nothing quite like walking cobble stone streets with a libation and saluting the local PD with the same and they wave back!

The parts run was not without drama. We had a false start as Momma left her Ipod with all our canned tunes in the room so we had to go back and get it. Then there was RV traffic out the wazzoo but we eventually made it to Andy's place at about 2:00 instead of 12:00. Aquartlow was there with his BEAUTIFUL 79 Cherro in the most amazing shade of black cherry and just way too many cool modifications. I could have studied that car for hours and not gotten all the great ideas that he put into it. Andy's house is a shade tree mechanic's wonderland with his beautiful original ish Cherro , a Harley, another Cherro on a lift in the garage, one on a rotisserie that he is welding floor pans on and of course Nemo out back which is a crying shame but yielded the parts I came for. I had decided that I was going to get a U-Haul because I was fairly certain that I could not get the bumpers into Momma's RAV-4 and she was not too keen on strapping them to the roof. So I reserved on while sitting in a bar on River St. in Savannah, her RAV came with a 2" receiver hitch. Who'd a thunk that with a hitch that nobody bothered to put in a pigtail for the brake lights!!!!! Not me!~, dumb assed Corpsman never checked. Spent an hour more than intended trying to figure out how to connect a trailer, I'm not cutting Momma's wiring harness in a parking lot with no tools, so no trailer. BUT!!! they did have moving blankets that you can RENT! Winner! Back to Andy's and out came the tape measure, 72" of bumpers JUST fit sideways with the seats down. Oh seats! Andy also had a pair of 77' T-Bird seats that Momma's butt liked so they had to fit too! Fortunately as a submariner I am qualified to get 15lbs of sh!t into a 5lb sack and that little RAV was stuffed to the gills.

In the end we departed Andy's with good cheer and loaded heavy and hot footed it back up to Savannah for another excellent LATE evening of good food and libations to cut the trail dust. This morning dawned bright clear and sunny as we headed back home. I-95 lived up to her name as that was the nominal speed for many miles of travel, passing some and getting passed by others. Did you know Google maps will tell you when/where there is a "Speed Trap"? With obligatory stops for go juice we managed to hit South of the Border, a really good BBQ joint and "enjoy" 8 hrs in the saddle as much as possible. Hit rain as we crossed the NC/VA line and hammered it home to out run it and puked the contents of the RAV into the garage just as the HEAVY rain started. Here I sit cold frosty in hand, butt a bit sore with NO room in the garage surveying my loot and quite happy with the weekend and wishing the work week wasn't starting again tomorrow for both of us.

Parts runs can be fun!!!

Cheers,

Doc

6. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

Doc,
    It was very nice to meet and conversate with you and your wife Deborah on Sunday(how exactly did you talk her into using HER birthday as the reason for a road trip to buy parts for yourself :D). I appreciate the kind words you spoke about my ride, makes all the hard work, busted knuckles and a dictionary full of curse words used in every possible combination while building it, worthwhile. Much appreciated! Glad to hear you had a successful trip and you made it back home safe and sound. Hopefully our paths will cross again sometime in the future, but ya'll are always welcome to come back to Florida for a visit.

andrewok1 likes this.
  7. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Third Gear

AQL, my wife is still talking about your paint!!!! She is also talking about your bed cover so if you have any diagrams, build pics etc dig them up because that is going to be one of the next projects in line and I really dig the way you did it. I hope you don't mind if I ping you a bunch of what I am sure to you will be dumb assed questions but with the help you gave me sorting out the carb on Midnight you are already used to them! LOL! It was great to meet you and I don't think I thanked you enough for your input on the carb. I like the way you think and in how you sourced parts from different platforms to make your ride run AND be able to find repair parts anywhere you go, that appeals to my final destination with Midnight of a street/touring cruiser. Now I need to step up my fab skills. Mebby for Father's Day/Anniversary I can talk her into a little welder :rolleyes:. As far as how...... it was a given that I was going for parts...... she was the one that pushed me into Midnight, so she feels responsible, I just decided that a 4 day weekend could kind of tie it all together. I've been working 6 days a week since December plus planning and documentation on the 7th so 4 days off together was easy.

Cheers,

Doc

andrewok1 likes this.
  8. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

Ask away, always glad to help if at all possible, good to hear the carb tuning is giving back respectable results. I don't have any diagrams or measurements for the rear lid, unless you count my "engineered drawings" on the napkins :D, I didn't even take pics during the build process.

andrewok1 likes this.