More dumb bass newbie questions: oversteer and seat adjustment.

Discussion in 'General Automotive Questions' started by Ranchero Newbie, May 12, 2022.

1. Ranchero Newbie

Ranchero Newbie In Second Gear

Even though I should have thrown in the towel two years ago, I am still enjoying my '65 Ranchero and will continue to shovel money at it as it is still far more interesting and cheaper than a modern pick up truck, all of which appear to have come out of the same cookie cutter.

1. Had all the shocks replaced. Several components replaced to the front end, steering arms, if I am correctly calling them, as well. This car sways like a ship at sea over 45 mph, and tends to yaw and pitch markedly when changing lanes or hit be a strong cross wind. Is this bad?

2. The interior, which is awaiting a complete overhaul, pending getting the steering right, is ragged, having served as racoon food for a decade or more. The real problem, besides being jabbed by an exposed spring, is that I have to almost use a shoehorn to get my thighs under the steering wheel, which is large, no doubt because it has manual steering. Getting out is a real chore, as I have to pull out my left leg, hoist myself up on the door frame, and then extricate my right leg.

The seat adjustment works, but it appears to be all the way back. I am six feet tall, and the interior seems to be designed for a someone under five feet tall. What, if anything can be done?

3. The horn ring came off in my hand, which is OK, because it didn't work anyways. The question is to fix the horn ring and have the horn work like it did back in ' 65 what might I be looking at here? Is it better to replace the entire steering column?

Alas, I had removed the original "Fiesta" hubcaps, all four, and stowed them behind the seat to deter theft. They got stolen.

2. Clark

Clark In Maximum Overdrive

Does a '65 have a rag joint (couple the steering column to the steering gear box)? These invariably go bad with age with the resultant "ship at sea" result.

3. DJ Clinton

DJ Clinton In Fourth Gear GOLD MEMBER

My '64 has a rag joint(that was loose). If there is play in the steering wheel, you may need to grease & adjust the steering box also. You can always replace the steering column with a tilt wheel. I believe 'ididit' makes a direct replacement.

4. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Make sure you have all the correct steering components for your car- 6 cylinder and V8 parts are different.

The stock steering has no rag joint. It's a 1-piece shaft directly to the steering box, and from the box to the pitman arm, like this:

s-l300-3467204640.jpeg

I wonder if you have a replacement seat, or if someone has raised the mounting? I'm 6'3" and have a full size Sprint wheel, and I can get in & out easily with the seat all the way back. You could try a smaller wheel; but I did, and it was tough parking with no power steering.

You may have a broken nylon horn ring clip. It's pretty common; one or more of the 3 legs breaks, and won't hold the ring to the wheel:

s-l1600.jpg

pmrphil likes this.
  5. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

No, they don't. See Beerbelly's pic.

6. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I'm 6'1" and had no problem in and out of my '65. May be the seat. Somebody raised it, perhaps? All the way back little space between seat back and rear wall. Also if there is excessive wander with decent suspension parts it may need to have more caster dialed in. Check the bushings on the strut rods between the lower control arms and the front crossmember (below the radiator).

7. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Frankly, take it back to whomever did the work to inspect it for defective new parts and for fault in workmanship (it happens, I've accidentally done it myself), not to mention, inspecting the unibody structure and subframe for cracks and pulled welds.

8. Ranchero Newbie

Ranchero Newbie In Second Gear

Thank you, all, for your valuable input. I had not thought of a tilt wheel. I will get some photos in so you can see what I am up against. As far as I can
    see, the seat is original. My impression it was some weird engineering to make the seat so cramped.

9. Ol' Slo Eddie

Ol' Slo Eddie In Third Gear

The '67 Mustang steering box has a rag joint and may interchange with your Falcon. If that is true , you could upgrade to power steering and go with a smaller steering wheel.