My 1972 Q Code

Discussion in 'Ranchero Pics' started by john777, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Giska1

Giska1 In Maximum Overdrive

2. john777

john777 In Overdrive

2 months old and expired!

3. john777

john777 In Overdrive

best pic

[​IMG]

Best I can do for now...

4. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

That is a 4300. While I won't write that it couldn't have come with one of those originally, especially with the California DSO, I will write that the 4300D was the 49 states carburetor used on the majority of the '72 CJ engines. That link that Giska1 provided for the 4300 on ebay is a pretty good price for that and might be something you should consider, taking into account of course that "buyer beware" convention as applied to all things.

5. john777

john777 In Overdrive

This is my guess...The car came with a 4300D, it was replaced with a 4300(not corrrect and may not run well because of it) The car should have a 4300D, Whatdaya think now?:eek:

6. 72GTVA

I'm guessing, based on what you have written about the car, that it was dealer maintained for a significant portion of it's life and for some reason the dealership replaced the original carburetor with that one. It could have been as simple as that is what they could get the way Ford obsoletes out parts, or it could have been the mechanic that maintained it thought this model was "better". I would be guessing not having the maintenance records or people available to get to the bottom of it.

Were it me, I would spend my money once. Get an intake configuration and carburetor that you know you will be happy with and that you understand and are comfortable working with. I like to keep mine pretty much stock for various reasons beyond the scope of this forum. Your needs and preferences are likely to differ. There are some folks here that have a lot more experience with the aftermarket components that can probably provide you with good information should you decide to go that route.

7. john777

john777 In Overdrive

FYI It was a two owner car. 1st owner had it for two years. Then the owner i bought it from purchased it in 1974, he died and passed it on to his wife who sold it to me. She said her husband did most of the work himself and did not keep any service records.

8. 72GTVA

Evidently someone went to Ford for their parts. Based on the date of the carb tag it may have been changed when the original owner had the car, and probably while still under warranty. I certainly don't know - conjecture based on the info you provided.

Good luck with your project!

9. john777

john777 In Overdrive

Off the phone with Pony Carbs and he says the car has been running on 2 1/2 barrels with the current configuration...

10. 72GTVA

I'd be interested in how he could divine that from a phone call but I'll accept it.

Pony Carbs literature about the 4300D discusses some of the tweaks that I've done to improve the hesitation issues on the low end. If I needed someone to rebuild mine it would probably be them. I wouldn't be happy about the prices they charge although when you factor in the short production period that those were used and the number of units produced it is not all that common of a carburetor. The smog era drove the replacement 4350 series into vehicles post 1974 so realistically you have a 3 or 4 production year carburetor that was used in largely specialty applications. That will always drive the price up.

Take heart though - you could have a 429 Cobra Jet that used the Rochester - and a rebuilable core for one of those routinely sells for over a thousand carburetorbuck$$$$. That is a lot of money for a carburetor you have to rebuild.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2009
  11. CJ Guy

CJ Guy In Maximum Overdrive

Need some info Dan...

Since this thread sorta turned into a OE carb thingee, and since I used to throw away carbs ( esp Carter AFB's) and intakes and do the Holley thing. Went digging to see what exactly I have here. Couldn't find the D3 intake but found this, what did this come off of? D0AE-9425-L
    [​IMG]

And the 4300d's I thought I had well I assume theses are just 4300, the one on the right has a sticker "Rebuilt by Holley" and a guys name
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So what is the facts 4300 or 4300D on a cleveland?

Thanks Dan...

12. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

13. 72GTVA

The D0AE-9425-L Casting is the D0AZ-9424-C (part number) intake and was used on the 4V Engines except for the Boss 351 which used an aluminum intake. The Boss 351 Intake casting D1ZX-9425-CA and it's part number is D1ZZ-9424-F. I couldn't tell from your pictures if the secondaries are as large as on the CJ and Special engines. I also couldn't tell from the carb bases if those are spreadbore or square pattern. I've got a couple of carburetors here for a 429 that appear to have slightly larger secondaries but not as pronounced as the CJ/Special spreadbore pattern.

Any chance you could get a measurement on the secondary butterflies and compare them with the primary butterflies? Those look pretty much like squarebore pattern to me in the photos. Chasing through the parts books there are only 3 351C 4V intake manifolds listed, the two above and then the D1ZE-9425-BB casting used on the CJ and Special engines.

14. McFord

McFord In Second Gear

those are 4300 carbs and a 4300 intake. 4300's do not have all 4 bores the same, the rears ARE slightly larger than the frotns. BUT, 4300d's are unmistakeable.

15. McFord

McFord In Second Gear

ok, heres comaprison pics. this is a 73 cj intake but only differnece between this and 72 is the addition of the egr passage and plate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. 72GTVA

IIRC those 4300 secondaries won't open up completely on the spreadbore intake. My intuitive grasp of the obvious tells me now that is how the Pony Carbs gent divined the 2 1/2 barrels line... yee haw!

17. CJ Guy

Yep this has me cornfused

I thought I had posted the specs, but
    the intake, got the calipers out,
    Prim= 1.525
    Sec=1.634
    Carbs,
    Prim=1.453
    Sec1.620

Definitively not the spreadbore I am used to when I did the gM thing

edit... I have a D3 intake somewhere without the egr thingee...?

18. 72GTVA

You may have posted the specs and I probably missed it.

Do either of those carbs have the Ford Tag or is there a stamping on the baseplate that gives you the part numbers? I'll look them up and cross them to application, tell you at least what they were probably taken from.

This the carb turned up on the intake manifold - both of these are the originals as built by Ford on this engine: Carburetor is a D2ZF - AA, Manifold Casting is D1ZE - 9425 - BB, and that manifold is correct for the '71 and '72 351 CJ and 351 Special Engines (Special is the name called out in the Ford IPC - suspect it is called the HO in other books). The secondary butterflies on these measure 1.960 inches, considerably larger than on the 4300s.

[​IMG]

Manifold with better view of casting numbers - note no EGR casting change nor hole...

[​IMG]

19. CJ Guy

Ya that intake is a spreadbore intake but the D0 intake I have what carb went on that and what engine?

20. 72GTVA

The IPC calls out four carburetors and applications for that in 1970. The B is the Torino/Fairlane Line, the F is the Mustang Line (second column). It looks to me like the intake was the standard 4V (nothing like boss or HO) for the Torino and Mustang 4V engines. Interesting that it calls out 605 CFM for those carbs. Here is the listing:

[​IMG]

You don't have any numbers that compare to those listed in this IPC extract?