My 1972 Q Code

Discussion in 'Ranchero Pics' started by john777, Mar 16, 2009.

1. CJ Guy

CJ Guy In Maximum Overdrive

#'s

D0AE-9425-L, interesting, guess I'll dig out some stuff out of the closet next week, call the ol' man and have a look-see, never know about Ford back then,
    Thanks Guys...CJ

2. McFord

McFord In Second Gear

yes, the largest the 4300's got were 605 cfm. 4300d was 750cfm as taken right out of the Ford 1972 Car Service Specifications booklet, 2nd printing - February, 1972.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2009
  3. McFord

McFord In Second Gear

So, basically we have this -
    Without digging into the Ford MPC, there are basically 4 different 4v cleveland intakes. 70/71 4300 carb style, 71 boss 351 style (aluminum) which is 4300D, 72 CJ (cast iron version of the boss intake) which is 4300D and 73 cj which is an egr equipped version and also 4300D. HO recieved cast iron 4300D version ,yes?

And yes, there was a CA specific 4300D in 1972 for automatic equipped 351CJ. D2ZF-DA

There was also a 4300D in 1972 for the 429 P.I. D2AF-LA

I like this thread, lots of good info.

4. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Maybe if the Orignal Poster dose not mind split the carb info into its own thread in the tech section.

5. john777

john777 In Overdrive

AGREED. This is really great stuff. Had it not been for you guys I may have rebuilt that 4300 and still been running on 2 1/2 barrells!

The latest is this... I have ordered the 4300D from john @ pony carbs, and because he found out I was a Marine, he upgraded me to the plated version and is going to throw in a bunch of extras! He is mailing it on monday and I should have it on by wed. Monday I'm going to do a little engine bay/engine painting. I got an MSD6AL and coil as well as a Mallory Distributer. I put 235/60/14 cooper cobras all the way around on thoses same wheels. The muffler will be replaced with magnaflows. So looks like this is all going to cost me more than I paid for the car!;)

Also, if anyone want to sell me:
    1. the trim that goes around the back glass
    2. grill trim
    3. working a/c compressor.
    4. dash pad

Thanks

6. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

I don't have any of the parts that you ask for but a suggestion: You might want to look into converting your A/C compressor to the Sanden type through Classic Auto AC or some vendor like that. A lot less vibration and drag on the engine with that compressor and much better performance out of the A/C than with the old York/Tecumsah types. Just a suggestion.

7. john777

john777 In Overdrive

engine /air cleaner paint color?

Would "old ford blue" be appropriate for 72? Or is it a lighter color?

8. 72GTVA

The correct color is "Ford Blue". I personally like the "Old Ford Blue" as it is a little darker and painted my engines that color. The Old Ford Blue is also called "Ford Corporate Blue" with some paint vendors.

9. 72GTVA

351 4V Manifold and Carburetor Applications

Extracted the information as much as was available in my IPC/MPC - the only thing missing is the Ford Part Number (casting number is there) for the '73 & up Intake Manifold - I don't have a good part number for that.

[​IMG]

I should add that all 4 Speed Manual Transmission listings exclude California afer 1972 in the Torino line. Had heard that, and also heard that dealerships had a work around for that but I don't know the background behind it. Officially though 4 speed manual Torinos, post 1972 were not supposed to be available in California. Wonder if anyone out there has the real scoop?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2009
  10. 72GTVA

I'll spin this one off and put the info in tech once we seem to have all the data correct. Good suggestion Carl!

11. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

May I suggest that you first enlarge the pics to the max size the board allows? Tables like this could benefit greatly from being more readable.

12. 72GTVA

It already is for the supermotors site. I guess you will have to use your zoom feature in your browser. I might send it to Trikar and let him make it bigger.

Here are the three cast iron 4V manifolds side-by-side, 1970 Left, 1971 Center, 1973 Right

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2009
  13. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

I guess you will have to use your zoom feature in your browser.

++++++++++

Baloney, it's exactly the same size on Supermotors, 565x270 pixels. In any event, zooming a pic with small pixels doesn't make it more readable.

There are numerous photo apps that will resize a picture -- before it's uploaded to Supermotors. It's my impression that a linked pic can be almost any size.

14. 72GTVA

That picture in it's raw form was over 11" wide. Supermotors resized it to that what you see. I even went so far as to size it out 18" wide and uploaded it again. Same size here when posted.

15. CJ Guy

Hey Dan wanna get rid of that center intake?:D

16. 72GTVA

I'm not sure yet - I've got one to build on an unused NOS block and haven't decided on the intake (other than it won't be the '73). I'll keep you in mind and let you know soon.

17. CJ Guy

How bout a combo deal, the block and the intake, take a break, you deserve it...:D

18. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Do not think thats going to happen....;)

19. 72GTVA

Did I mention that the new block has a new forged crankshaft for it too? I'm still in the planning stages on this engine and all that I know about it at this stage is it is getting forged pistons, forged crankshaft, 4V quench heads with stainless one piece valves, and I haven't decided on the cam yet, and I haven't decided on the intake yet...

John777, let us know how that 4300D works out for you!

20. CJ Guy

Yes please do John777...

Hey Dan got a pair of Aussie 302 heads that aren't earmarked yet, how much power ya want, sounds like alot...just keep it together and in one piece 24/7 :D