My 65

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by neil brown, May 14, 2019.

1. neil brown

neil brown In Second Gear

I've just bought ny 65, a nice truck looks really solid, 3.3 mustang 6, discs all round and an Explorer rear end, wheels need changing, but i'm very pleased. IMG_8423.JPG

2. neil brown

But, I have a few questions, hoping you guys can help. Looking at my fuel pump, it appears to be leaking oil, but I cant find a match to replace it, any ideas? Also, whats the brass fitting on the right of the carb with no hose on it? the brass fitting on the right of the carb with no hose on it? Any help appreciated IMG_8438.JPG IMG_8411.JPG

3. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

fuel pump is also vacuum pup for wipers brass fitting is bowl vent

4. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Might want to relocate the coil, next to the fuel pump is not the ideal location in case of a fuel leak. Nice looking Chero and welcome to the forum.

5. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

That pump is rebuild able, check with Greensalescompany.com or google "obsolete Ford parts to find companies that might have a kit. The brass outlet is a bowl vent, usually used with cars that have an evaporative emissions system. If yours doesn't, then it should be capped if there's an internal vent.

6. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Is it running an electric fuel pump, if so ditch the mechanical and put on a blanking plate.

7. neil brown

Its running the mechanical pump.
    Thanks Andy, ill look into that, ive been quoted £99.00 for a pump.
    So the vent just vents, no filter , pipe or anything?
    'evaporative emissions system', I cant see any obvious sign of this, like a canister

Thanks for the feedback

8. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

65s have electric wipers. I don't think the fuel pump is correct for that car. You can probably find a new pump without the vacuum boost for that motor.
    If you can identify what year the motor is from, you should be able to find the correct one without vacuum boost.

9. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

plumcolor is right about the factory '65 wipers- my '65 Deluxe has the 2-speed electric wipers, with a rudimentary washer system. But when motors have been swapped, and systems modified to make them work together, sourcing compatible parts can be a real challenge. Definitely no evaporative canister back then. You may, for the sake of reliability & dependability, wish to spend your money on getting the engine & fuel system sorted.

10. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

And if the engine's a Fox platform one, that carb is likely the factory carb for that engine, not the factory carb for the Ranchero. So the pump, I didn't see the looped hose. Just buy a modern inline six pump for yours, and sell that one to one of the other members with a '60-'64 Chero.

11. neil brown

IMG_8460.JPG Thanks people, I though the wipers were rather good for a vacuum setup. I need to figure out what year this engine is.
    I have a couple more questions tho, does this front disc break setup look firmiliar to anyone? I'm going to need pads at some time, be nice to know what to buy..

12. neil brown

hose.JPG ...and, it looks like its had a recent power steering upgrade, new fixings on the steering and pump looks new, but Im pretty sure the hoses shouldnt be this low, can anyone confirm where they should run?

13. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Caliper looks like (MAYBE) small GM truck /S10 etc. See if you can get a casting number / mfr name.