My 69 Ram Air 428CJ

Discussion in 'The Stable' started by PonyExpressRider, Jan 14, 2013.

1. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

Update

The car is now in my garage, and with warmer weather, dismantling has been moving forward. The block isn't ready yet, apparently the donator block has a resistance to cutting wheels. As well as they are trying to cut the piece to the finest of tolerances that will make welding that much easier.
    Unfortunately, I may have to put the project on hold. As house repairs may gobble up my available funds. But there is plenty that I can do that only costs me my time and labor. Plenty of surface rust to clean up. The floor boards looked pretty bad when I removed the carpet. With the exception of one hole in the tire well (right where someone thought there would be one), the floors are solid. More pic's for your viewing pleasure.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2014
  2. PonyExpressRider

More pictures of the tear down

Attached Files:

3. eqshadimar

eqshadimar In Overdrive

Looks like you are making some great progress on this rare beast!

Laters,
    Jeff

4. PonyExpressRider

The block is back and repaired and ready for an overhaul. Once I get the cash together :(

Attached Files:

5. PonyExpressRider

Got the glove compartment open today... Look what I found!

Attached Files:

6. deaconminister

deaconminister In Fourth Gear

That a cool find. I am excited to get my carpet tore up to see if I have any finds like the upholstery sheet.

7. PonyExpressRider

Another find... holes (rust) in the floorboards, Passenger side... :mad:... looks like it is contained to a small area.

8. PonyExpressRider

Another item that may interest you, particularly for the novice rebuilder, Collector Car Companion... to help you document and track you rebuild. there is a free download, the full version is $49.95

9. davis

davis In Maximum Overdrive

wish my tailgate and rear body looked that rust-free.
    cools on the engine block.

10. eqshadimar

eqshadimar In Overdrive

Congrats on the engine block! Having those manuals is super cool, what a great find. Welcome to the club on rusty passenger side floor pans :) There are many of us with the same issue.

Keep plugging along!

Laters,
    Jeff

11. PonyExpressRider

More Pictures as I go

Attached Files:

12. PonyExpressRider

Read a article not to long ago about the Ranchero's either came with a Tach or a clock. This was has both?
    :)

13. PonyExpressRider

What have I gotten myself into? :eek:

Attached Files:

14. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

A fun project? :D

15. PonyExpressRider

It is a fun project! I am really enjoying getting back into the mechanics of it. But as each piece comes off, all these questions: did I properly document where, when, etc. DO I do....? or That? Do I frame off, or? And its all being dictated by the amount of money to make it right. Vision and Perspective countered by doubt and confusion! :D

16. eqshadimar

eqshadimar In Overdrive

Glad that you are having fun! I can tell you from experience that it is very important that you tag and bag every nut, bolt, and part to save yourself from going crazy later.

As far as how far to take the restoration you need to remember that Rancheros are a labor of love and not investment vehicles. I personally think that it is a good idea to sit down and think about what you are trying to accomplish before going any further. Do you need it to be a daily driver, will it be a car cruise vehicle, a show car, a trailer queen, a racer, etc. Once you figure that out your restoration path should be easier to follow. I personally decided that mine will be a "hot rod" driver that looks as good as it can so I can go to cruises and maybe some local shows. To me this means that it needs to be mechanically sound and have decent wheels, tires, interior, and paint. Nothing over the top but good looking. I am also not concerned with doing a concours restoration because unless you are extremely lucky and find the correct buyer, your truck will never return what you put into value wise. The Rancheros are just not that desirable to classic car people.

Laters,
    Jeff

PS - you don't have to worry about doing a frame off restoration since your Ranchero is unibody construction :D (sorry being just a bit cheeky there)

17. PonyExpressRider

Thanks Jeff!
    I knew the Uni-Body/body off would come back to get me! :surrender::thumbup:

I am going for the Stock look, with the Cruiser in mind. The Car Club does some shows, But I don't think I am interested in the show car aspect. If I was, I would be saving up to have it done. I want to do most of the work my self, and have a nice sharp looking ride when I am done. The fact that I can burn rubber, and do 120MPH standing still will be a plus. :D

Standing in the garage checking my progress. Looking at the racks of parts, and bags of bolts and nuts. I just went through the epiphany of the enormity of the project. Noting the hours, and hours, and hours (did I say Hours?), along with the days of work ahead just to remove the surface rust, can be mind boggling. Would almost seem easier to have it media blasted, and start from scratch. If I were rich, or had a rich Uncle, maybe. :(

I almost have it totally stripped down now. Fuel line, brake lines/cable, front and rear suspension, and dash, is about all that's left.

I spent most of today going back and laying out pieces, taking pictures, and documenting it all into the Collector Car Companion. Nice software package by the way. Just the amount of Chrome of this thing is amazing. Windshield, 4 pieces. Rear Window, 8 pieces. Bed rail is 7 pieces. 3 more pieces across the front of the fenders and hood, and another three pieces on he grille. Then the bumpers. GEESH!

Anyways... pushing forward... :cheers:

18. PonyExpressRider

On going progress! Almost down to a rolling chassis. Looks like we are going Frame up rebuild. Got with a couple of the guys in the car club and discussed the options, and basically this car deserves to go back to what it was sitting on the showroom floor. Getting there could be interesting. Don't know if I will be able to find the smog system for the exhaust system. It was usually the first thing to come off and got thrown away. But I will try to get it as close as possible.

Attached Files:

19. deaconminister

deaconminister In Fourth Gear

Congrats, it is never ending as I am quickly realizing.

20. eqshadimar

eqshadimar In Overdrive

Great progress! Thanks for the pictures.

Laters,
    Jeff