My 69 Ram Air 428CJ

Discussion in 'The Stable' started by PonyExpressRider, Jan 14, 2013.

1. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Just in that trim, she sounds sweet! Did you get the overheat taken care of to finish the break-in?

2. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

Going to finish it up today... Going to remove the thermostat and try again. Also, need to get the trans in Park, so I don't have to jack it up every time. Plus wasn't real comfortable knowing the car was doing 30MPH on jack stands, and standing in front of it.. :eek:

Also need to close down the jets a bit, throttle adjustment had very little affect.

andrewok1 likes this.
  3. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

it sounds to be have a popping,but for the the first run ,just needs fine tune , nice to see a perfect Ranchero come alive :)

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.
  4. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Running a bit hot during break in is not uncommon.
    Taking the thermostat out is not a good idea, the restriction it provides increases water pressure in the heads, raising the boiling point, to help prevent steam pockets from forming. That is why vehicle without thermostats, like my Ranchero, use restrictors.
    The overheating is caused by the car not moving, the cooling system is not designed to work fro periods of time above idle with the car not moving. Setting a large fan in front of the radiator can help.

5. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

When he's right he's right, I have to agree. Keep the thermostat and get a big fan.

6. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Ribald is right about running hot during break in too. I had the engine rebuilt in one of my previous cars, and it was a 40 mile trip home from the shop. The builder told me to watch the temp. gauge 'cuz it may run warm- it did. But it settled down the more I drove, and that engine went 100K.

7. PonyExpressRider

My concerns with the thermostat were air pockets... which there were. It still over heated, but the air in the block got purged. I ran the garden hose over the outer side of the radiator to keep it cool. Break in complete. With that done and idling at about 750 in Neutral, shouldn't over heat as quickly.

Dwell is set, timing is good, and carb is pretty close to being called tuned. Still has a nice throaty rumble to it.

8. ribald1

The 428 doesn't have a bypass? If so, you can't block off the heater or you will always get air pockets unless you drill a small hole in the thermostat.

9. PonyExpressRider

It does have a bypass. Water is cycled from the pump through the heater core and dumps back in behind the thermostat. Pretty confident I got all the air out... will put the Thermostat back in before I put it on the road.

10. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

sounds good , !!!! yes sir

11. PonyExpressRider

Update... Interior complete, got the visor chrome back, and the remote mirror bezel. so was able to put the driver door panel on. Looks like it did 45 years ago. Almost!
    Runs great, starts without priming, love that. Got it tagged yesterday, left the original plates from 1971 on it... Oregon gets crazy with custom plates. 1 of 101 would have been pretty cool though! Maybe later? Going to take it back over to the shop, and put it on the lift to finish up all the little stuff that needs finished. Brakes, tranny linkage... then it should be drivable. Then get the C put on, and it will be ready for its debut to the world. WHEW!

12. handy_andy_cv64

Please, though, make sure the light you see at the end of the tunnel is not a locomotive!

13. PonyExpressRider

LOL... Nice... The car is insured now as well. A Hagerty Plan. Although it would be extremely upsetting if they were to total the car, I get full value and I get to keep the car. But I intend to see the light of the locomotive, and watch it go screaming by... WHOOOO WHOOOO!

14. handy_andy_cv64

And do not do this, even if you think you can make it:

15. ribald1

Nothing in that video was unsafe.
    70 MPH is no big deal, and he crossed well before the crossing guards came down.
    He had to sit there and wait for the train, long enough that he had to cut part of it out of the vid.

16. Jimbob

Jimbob SITE SUPPORTER- SILVER GOLD MEMBER

The crossing bells hadn't even started when he crossed, then it looks like he got out his car to film. So yeah, made it by seconds, maybe quite a few dozen!

17. handy_andy_cv64

What I wanted to show, I could not find. Not even Jeff East jumping across the path of the passenger train in Superman the Movie.

18. PonyExpressRider

What happened to all those silent train chases that didn't end well for the car!?

Update... have all the chrome back and now have to take apart the doors again to install the outer window chrome. Driver side door done... what a difference it makes. Car will be going back over to the shop for some lift time, to get tranny linkage figured out, and front brake lines assembled, and brakes bled. Then it will be drivable. :cool:

Still sanding imperfections out of the stainless... pretty close to done there, then buffing to a high gloss finish. then that will be done.

High school Football season taking up most of my time at the moment... but still plugging away.

19. PonyExpressRider

Almost time to get back to work... Have one more Football game this weekend, then done until next year. Have already scheduled the car for two car shows in the spring. Need to get it done! Good thing about Football season?? Extra money! WHOOT!

20. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

Nascar championships at Homestead Miami this weekend is what I will be watching, and the only one that will be taking a knee will be a driver crawling out of his car, I haven't watched a football game since the knee hit the turf during our National Anthem.

Basstrix likes this.