My 69 Ram Air 428CJ

Discussion in 'The Stable' started by PonyExpressRider, Jan 14, 2013.

1. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Good job!

2. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

I've been watching and following this thread since I joined, what a great accomplishment. Drive it proud.

3. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Great sound!

4. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

lol!!! It still needs a complete tune... it close, but timing is off a bit, and carb is still running a bit rich. Tranny really hits 1st gear pretty hard. And I don't have the choke heat riser connected yet... so I think choke was still partially closed.

Will be dialing in the tune, and getting stainless finished and power steering lines installed. But first up is getting the front end aligned before I get to carried away with putting miles on it.

5. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I could see your 'Armstrong' steering and wondered if it had power steering or not. You should've had "Bad To The Bone" playing....

6. ribald1

I drive a manual steering van every day. I prefer it over power steering, same for manual brakes, I like to actually drive the car rather than tell it what to do.
    It's not hard to operate manual steering, everybody (even womenfolk) did it for a long time before power steering came out.

7. PonyExpressRider

This was the result!!! LOL...

Attached Files:

8. ribald1

Maybe if they drove Chevys.
    My Mom, Grandmas, and great grandmas all drove cars with manual steering, manual transmissions and manual brakes. Not long ago, it was that or don't drive, unless you were rather rich.

PonyExpressRider likes this.
  9. PonyExpressRider

Definitely if they drove Chevy's.... LOL

I learned to drive in a manual steering... in a Mercury! 289/3 speed. It was easier to turn the wheel when sitting still. This cruises pretty good right out of the box, steers nicely. But half a ton of engine and tranny sitting on 14 inch wheels... get that power steering working!

10. ribald1

Tires have a big impact on steering effort. Lower profile tires are harder to turn at a dead stop.
    My van, with the gear in it, is almost 7000 pounds, and as it has only a 1' nose, the driver and passenger also sit on the front wheels as well as the engine and tranny. compounding it is the bell crank steering setup. When i first got it, it was hell to steer, but after replacing almost everything on the front end I can turn the wheel with one hand at a stop.
    Surprisingly, when I replaces the strut bushings, that had a substantial effect on steering difficulty. As it is twin I beam, I wasn't expecting anything other than a quieter ride.

11. handy_andy_cv64

I'm sorry if I'm spoiled, but my first car was a '78 Fairmont, straight-6/3-on-the-floor, manual steering and brakes, and attempting delicate maneuvers in a narrow parking lot were Hell, especially because of my height. So if I get an older car, if it doesn't have PS/PB, I put it in.

12. ribald1

You haven't lived until you have parallel parked in a tight spot on a hill while blocking traffic on a 100 degree day with an all manual setup. (naturally, no A/C)
    If you can do that with a smile on your face, none of life's adversities will ever get you down.

13. Unclebrad

Unclebrad In Third Gear SILVER MEMBER

Lovely.
    I want one.

14. handy_andy_cv64

Oh yeah, been there, done that, got the Seattle 'Pill Hill' t-shirt. And, starting out facing uphill, with some asshat right on your bumper. That's when I got really good on clutch and throttle.

15. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Power and non- power steering Rancheros have different gear ratios in the steering box. Don't mix them wrong unless you want a twitchy almost undrivable ride.

16. PonyExpressRider

this one has gone back and forth... came with power, Uncle changed the whole system to manual, and I have changed it all back. waiting on a hose, or it would be hooked up already.

My understanding is that most of the issues with twitchy steering is in the control valve on the end of the steering control arm.

17. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

There is another cause of twitchy also. the steering pump. While the pumps look identical, there is a low output pump for the slave cylinder style power steering like you have and a higher output pressure pump used with integral steering boxes. I found out about this when I used a pump from a 70 LTD on a 70 Torino. The wiggle from your heartbeat would cause you to change lanes, scary !
    Some guys rigged a by-pass between the high pressure line and the return line using a valve to control steering boost instead of chasing the correct pump. Beware ! Having the adjusting nut cranked too tight in the control valve can cause the same problem. That system is designed to have some play at dead center or you will have hydraulic boost constantly. Do not neglect to grease that fitting located at the pitman arm ball in the control valve.

18. PonyExpressRider

Thanks Hillbilly... will take notice when I get the system hooked up and bled...

19. PonyExpressRider

First Chassis lube and front end aligned today...

20. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

On the slave cylinder style, it can get pretty interesting if you get the lines crossed! You'll think you needed to call in a Priest to get the demons out.