My 69 Ram Air 428CJ

Discussion in 'The Stable' started by PonyExpressRider, Jan 14, 2013.

1. classic69ford

classic69ford In Second Gear

Is your R code an auto or 4spd? If auto do you know what lever and servo is used in your tranny, if still original?

2. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

I WISH IT WAS A 4 Spd! LOL...

it is using the original C6, with the original configuration. At least when I had it rebuilt, that's what I asked for. But the way its hits second gear when I romp it, I am betting its got a mild kit.

the shift lever is the original... not sure about the servo, since I had it rebuilt.

Attached Files:

3. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Last C6 I had overhauled my transmission shop owner stated that all C6's they work on get a shift kit - said it was "recommended" through the industry on suggestion from Ford, and he also stated all overhaul kits he bought/stocked came with the kit. Don't know if this is true or not, but a very reputable shop with good service and warranty. Also said the trans fluid level when hot should be 1/2 pint low...

PonyExpressRider likes this.
  4. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Like he said above, all transmissions basically get an updated kit that 'solves' all the problems your trans had from the factory, and in point of fact, all new rebuilds will always get the latest updates when rebuilt.

5. PonyExpressRider

Its all good with me... I get a really nice second gear chirp... usually without trying! :rolleyes:

6. Dyno

Dyno In Fourth Gear

The C-6's behind the 428 CJ were factory equipped with the R servo. Also the trans came with cast iron tail shaft housing.
    The R servo is what others upgrade to on rebuilds in the past or go billet to get the same benefits. More material and stiffer than usual applies band better with less distortion due to pressures. If memory is correct think they also used a stiffer spring.
    tag should read PGB AH on top line

7. PonyExpressRider

A couple of pictures I found of Brittany from 2018 after the decals were applied.

Attached Files:

Dyno and beerbelly like this.
  8. PonyExpressRider

WAHOOOO! Got a call from Instrument Specialties today. The cluster is done. Dash pad, armrest, sun visors are going to dye. And plastic trim is in the final steps. So I may get some covid cruising in this year after all. Pictures to follow! Know if only I can find a GT Horn Pad. I think I have a line on a couple.

Dyno, handy_andy_cv64 and Jeff B like this.
  9. T16592

T16592 In Fourth Gear PLATINUM MEMBER

Instrument Specialties - they are supposed to be ++A. Hope you post some pics :)

10. PonyExpressRider

I heard about them watching an episode of Graveyard Cars. Of all the Companies that do this type of work, they have the best reputation. They aren't cheap either. But if the quality is as good as their reputation... worth every penny.

11. T16592

I agree that good quality work is worth the extra cost in the long run.

12. PonyExpressRider

Received the cluster and clock back from Instrument Specialties... look fantastic... clock.jpg Cluster1.jpg cluster2.jpg cluster3.jpg cluster4.jpg

Now I need the trim, and Dash. Only going back together once!

Dyno, LSChero, The Wrench and 2 others like this.
  13. handy_andy_cv64

Have you hooked up and tested everything yet? It would be advisable to do so; even the best restorers run into problems, like mishandling during shipping.

14. PonyExpressRider

I have not! YET!

15. PonyExpressRider

Well here we go... a little testing... first the clock...

beerbelly likes this.
  16. handy_andy_cv64

Did you check your clock's accuracy against a digital clock? BTW, your instruments have a very classy look. I'm envious.

17. PonyExpressRider

Thanks Andy... did you check the elapsed time of the clock to the time of the video? LOL

43 Seconds... its perfect! :cool::rolleyes:

18. handy_andy_cv64

No, but that's cool. I have one of the late Seventies Holy Grail quartz dash clocks, and in using a power supply set to 13.5 volts and running it for five minutes, I determined it's running dead on also. But that's very good yours is working nicely.

19. PonyExpressRider

Andy, I have been checking the time on the clock over the last couple days... its good to go.

trying to make sure I have the Tach wiring correct before I test it.

20. T16592

Now that is one very sweet looking dash. Dare i say it is better than new? the finishes and stenciling are just great. Might be better to hang it over the fire place than put in the '67 haha. And as far as clock accuracy, i would be happy if mine would just tick once a day. :D