My 69 Ram Air 428CJ

Discussion in 'The Stable' started by PonyExpressRider, Jan 14, 2013.

1. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

Right and Left rear floor pans will need replaced, along with the Battery box... that's it for worn metal
    :)

2. PonyExpressRider

Right Floor pan replaced, Battery box repaired, left rear floor plan on order. Began undercoating, found some spots that blasting missed, treated them with OSPHO, will finish undercoating tomorrow. will then primer the car and all the parts. Through the rear end under it, and back to the garage for body work. Before beginning body work, the rear end will come back out. Pull the axles, and pumpkin, send the rear end out for powder coating with the springs. Will also be taking a paint sample for the Body color to see if they can match it for the wheels.

Attached Files:

HuevosRanchero likes this.
  3. PonyExpressRider

Car is home from getting blasted and primed, boy it looks a lot better then it did. Going to get rear end done first, take it apart, get the pumpkin checked out, replace the axle bearings and seals, powder coat the housing and springs, can put it under the car and leave it alone. Still have not been able to find a set of Spring Clip Plates to replace the traction bars. anyway, then work over the front suspension, complete rebuild, still has original ball joints in it. I think they a due! Then should be done helping a friend with his 48 Ford Pickup, and we can start on the Body work.

Attached Files:

4. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

Nice to start with a clean slate like that.
    It will be a nice machine when its all done.
    Who did the blasting for you?

5. PonyExpressRider

Dons Powder Coating in the Green District, Suburb of Roseburg OR. they did a real good job. Will be taking the Rear end and wheels there for powder coating. If they can get the wheels the same color as the car. A Stray Angels Car Club Member, Sam Wilson, did the metal work and primer spray. Sure couldn't have gotten this far with out his help and expertise.

6. PonyExpressRider

More good news.

Was concerned about the Crank being damaged beyond repair. A little gouging on the throw for #2/3. Met a guy the other day who is a Ford nut/expert in the area. Seems to know his FE stuff quite well. Won't sell me his 428CJ exhaust manifolds though. Darn it! Explained to him the story behind the damage to my 428 CJ, without even batting a eye, or without concern, he told me as long as it is straight, it can be repaired. Was like music to my ears! :)

7. PonyExpressRider

OK, went to a Car show this last weekend. There was a 72 Ranchero there, and with all the people standing around I couldn't get a picture. Dam nice Car! Anyway was talking to a guy about my Ranchero, just BS'ing about the car, Marti report and such... anyway he asked if I knew how many still existed. Obviously I don't, but how would you go about finding that out?

8. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

I WAS TALKING TO THIS OLD ( GEARHEAD)HE SAYS THAT FORD CAN HELP WITH KNOWING ,HOW MANY OF RARE MAD RIDES ARE STILL AROUND ,AND CALL THIS 1-800-392-3673 FORD CUSTOMER SERVICE AND TELL THEM WHAT YOUR WANTING TO KNOW, BUT MARTI HAS JUST ADDED MORE OPTIONS TO THIER REPORTS,WELL THATS WHAT 2 CENTS I GOT TO THROW IN,, ANDY ,VERY NICE RIDE

9. PonyExpressRider

Thanks Andy, I have dealt with Ford Customer Service before. Good source of some free information. Marti is also a good source! HHMM! Customer Service is Free, Marti is not! :D

10. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

HEY THANKS IT TAKES ALOT OF EFFORT TO OWN A OLD RIDE GOOD LUCK ANDY

11. PonyExpressRider

Front end is off, wheel wells are undercoated. Have most of the parts for the front suspension rebuild. Clean up and paint the pieces that will be going back on the car.

Attached Files:

12. PonyExpressRider

UPDATE... have the front suspension off the car, wire brushing mounting points and such. Friend in the car club has a blasting box, cleans up the old metal quite nicely. Have all the bushings and part for the suspension, will order the new inner and outer steering links here soon, as well as new calipers, bearings, etc. Have the metal to finish the metal work. Sand Blasting indicated the Left rear floor panel needed replaced also. Plus a little welding in the engine compartment. Get that all cleaned up, and it will be ready for some Semi-Gloss black. Then will get started on the Rear end. Spring Clips will be inbounds soon, from a source on TorinoCobra.com, and the new shackles should be on their way from Dearborne soon.

13. PonyExpressRider

Undercoating completed, Firewall in paint. Front Suspension almost ready to go back on. Rear Suspension parts are on the way. Then Body work.

Attached Files:

14. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Keep plugging away. You are making great progress!

15. PonyExpressRider

Found a rather bulky piece of metal that was welded next to the Camber adjustment on the passenger side. which has amounted to a DELAY! Removed the makeshift side (1/4 steel), and the damaged piece. took pictures with measurements, and the damaged piece, to the fabrication shop to have a new one made. Should have that back next week, then get it welded back in place, weld the extra hole in the left tower, paint, then front suspension can go back on.

Rotors will be in tomorrow, inner tie rods and adjustment sleeves are due on Wednesday.

Attached Files:

16. davis

davis In Maximum Overdrive

i think CJ exhaust manifolds are the same as 390 mustang, fairlane units.?

17. davis

davis In Maximum Overdrive

18. PonyExpressRider

Well so much for Ford Customer Service.

I made two requests, 1) The VIN information that they provided in an original letter (build sheet) back in 2012, indicated that there were some 3000 GT's produced. My Marti Report indicated that there were some 2300. When I queried Ford about the difference, they indicated that Marti's information was correct. So, I explained that and asked them to correct the information in their letter to match the Marti Report information. I received a reply from customer service, with the information needed to order another Build Sheet. Why would I want to pay another $17 to get the same bad information? The second request was about the number of cars still on the road. No response was provide in the return letter. So I called them. Their answer to #1, if you want a build sheet you have to order one. When I explained that I had ordered one and the information was incorrect... "that is the information we have sir". To #2, we do not have access to Motor Vehicle records. I think Corporate is going to get a letter next. UHG!

19. PonyExpressRider

Thanks Davis, But 428 Cobra Jets have a 16 bolt pattern on the exhaust manifolds. All the other FE's use the 12 bolt pattern. Dearborn Classics carries the manifolds. $$$$$ Hoping I might find a used set.

20. PonyExpressRider

I'm back... Long camping trip for Memorial Day, and a week in Hawaii visiting my son and his family. Front suspension coming back together, was going to clean up the steering box and remount it, but cycling it stop to stop feels gritty... so it needs to be rebuilt. A new idler arm is like $150... so will see if that can be refurbished as well. Probably good as it is, but exposed rubber is cracked. Its only money right!!! :rolleyes:

Rotors and Bearings will be next.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015