My 69 Ram Air 428CJ

Discussion in 'The Stable' started by PonyExpressRider, Jan 14, 2013.

1. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

Found a picture from the Car Show

Attached Files:

2. eqshadimar

eqshadimar In Overdrive

Keep plugging away! It is good to see that you are making progress.

Laters,
    Jeff

3. PonyExpressRider

Update....

Had to do a partial teardown of the front end. Removed the coil springs, to gain access to the upper A and the grease fittings, they were to tight to the Tower walls to get a grease gun on them. Got that problem fixed, the springs back in, shocks, and hubs are installed.

THEN! Doing some casual contemplation, picked up my Marti report, just scanning the information again like I have more then a few times before, and BAM! All of a sudden staring right at me. POWER STEERING! There it was right on the Window Sticker. I have never known this car with power steering. So I grab my date code book, run out to the garage, clean the date tag off, compare it to the book, and start crying! Marti says the car was sold in June of 1969. The Manufacturing Tag on the Manual Steering Box, 9H, '69 August. OH CRAP!

So Apparently, my Uncle, in the search for more horsepower. Replaced the Power Steering with Manual Steering to accommodate the change of the factory exhaust manifolds for Headers. SO! The search is on for a power steering box that will match up with the 5/13/1969 factory bucked date.

I may have already gotten lucky. A friend of mine has a 68 Mustang which used the same Pump and Gear box. Subtle differences in the linkage, but he is willing to let me have it. So, if the numbers are late 68 (8I-L), I could be a happy camper. If not, I will be on hold for a while.

Attached Files:

4. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

If you don't mind my asking, why would you want power steering?

5. PonyExpressRider

Beyond it came on the car? I have pretty much decided, with input from many, that the car is too special to do anything but go back to what came off the assembly line.

How special is it? To date, I am only aware of two '69 "R" code cars, with auto's, that are still matching numbers complete. Mine and another that is posted within this site.
    Going to try and find out more specifics about how many are actually left. But I am getting the feeling that the number of "matching number complete" is going to be very small. Based on what I know already, I will be surprised if the total number of registered 69 "R" codes is more then half of the number built (183). It may be time to start the Barn searches.

andrewok1 and TestDummy like this.
  6. ribald1

I didn't know the 69 had disc brakes, my bad.

7. PonyExpressRider

NP ribald, Power Disk Brakes option is listed on the window sticker right under the Power Steering. Since you put it that way, does that mean manual steering would most likely have had front drum brakes?

8. ribald1

I thought the discs were an upgrade you did as I didn't know they were an option in 69.

9. PonyExpressRider

Hi all... This will get put in the parts wanted also. Need a Power Steering Center Link, I may be able to get this through Rock Auto, etc. I also need a late 68 (last 3 months), early 69 (A, B, C) power steering gear box. I have a late 67 power steering gear box off of a 68 Mustang, and a late 69 Manual steering Gear/w center link for possible trade.

10. davis

davis In Maximum Overdrive

11. PonyExpressRider

12. PonyExpressRider

Hey All... just checking in... still kicking. Football season and Hunting Season almost done, so will be getting back at it. Trying to decide whether to get the motor rebuilt now or put my available funds to the Body and paint... still need to pull the rear end and get it cleaned up and checked out. Then can start putting stuff back on the underside. Gas Tank, brake lines, etc... Good to be back! :cool:

13. ribald1

There are advantages to getting the wrenching out of the way before the car is painted.
    A little slip when installing an engine can leave a nasty scratch.

14. PonyExpressRider

OH MY! It has been in the works, but the car is headed for body and paint, most likely in the next couple of weeks. I am excited.

HuevosRanchero likes this.
  15. PonyExpressRider

Started doing some research on the car... a couple weeks ago I sent out the first 10 letters to State DMV's, to determine how many R codes are still registered. I received my first reply back, from Washington State. Based on the search for the letter R in the 5th position of the VIN, for 1969 Ranchero's.

The search in Washington State reveled no cars met the search criteria. Why is that interesting you ask??? That's where my car was originally sold new! :)

16. PonyExpressRider

Tranny is in the Tranny shop...

Engine is at the Machine shop...

once the body shop gets a Camaro out of the way, the body will be going to body and paint.

Question though... The oil sump that was on the engine was a middle sump... it had holes in it from when the rods exploded... The Ford Manual shows a front sump. Any idea's as to what 428CJ's came with? I need to order a new one.

17. PonyExpressRider

While doing some WEB searching, ran across Muscle Car of the Week. They have two Ranchero's that are Notable. A 1957, which is really Rare, 1 of 2, and both owned by the same collection. And a 1969, which is 1 of 3 R codes in the Brittany Blue. I have one of the other two.

1957 Ranchero

1969 Ranchero

18. PonyExpressRider

Update...

Body Shop about ready for the Body.

Prepping parts and pieces for reassembly.

Attached Files:

HuevosRanchero likes this.
  19. Vasili Brown

Vasili Brown In Third Gear

Looking good. Can't wait to see it after paint

20. PonyExpressRider

a small parts dilemma... The car came with a Master Cylinder Mount, which raises the booster and master cylinder a few inches to clear the Exhaust manifolds. The pivot point has a grease fitting, and two rubber seals on either side... Tried Ford, Bob Drake, Early Ford Store, Dearborn Classic, CJ Pony... Any Ideas on where I can get new ones? See arrows in Pic... Thanks

Attached Files:

Vasili Brown likes this.