My 71 Ranch

Discussion in 'The Stable' started by scbarger, May 14, 2011.

1. DonC

DonC In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Nice build, car has come a long way and looks great.

2. scbarger

scbarger Banner Maker

I was looking on my computer and found this pic.
    [​IMG]
    It was sitting at my brother's shop at the time.

I am not sure if I ever told you guys the story behind my Ranch. It was my oldest brother's he was 12 years older then me. He was in the middle of the mods and customization when he found out he had cancer it took about two years but he passed at the age of 30 I was 18 at the time. We had to get one of his best friends to put it back together enough so we could pick it up. After that my other brother (8 years older) and I drove up to South Carolina to bring it back to Georgia. That was 19 years ago it been a great accomplishment to get it this far hopefully I will get it closer to being done soon.

By the way this car is never going to leave my hands until I pass it down to one of my kids if I ever have any.

3. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

Thats a cool tribute to your brother.

4. parts4me

parts4me In Maximum Overdrive

Agreed, He would be proud man.

5. 71 Whitesale

71 Whitesale In Fourth Gear

As if it wasn't cool enough already, your brother would be so proud! I love a project built by love!

6. scbarger

scbarger Banner Maker

Well they tore down the engine I had one cracked lifter and the crank bearings where worn down to the copper. We found out the cam was from 1986 and the motor has been bored over 30 so I guess it is a 357c. Over all it was not in bad shape but I think I was lucky and good timing to do this before something really happen to the motor.

I want to go with a roller cam set up but I don't think I have enough cash flow to do that just now. So we are just going to get some good head work done roller rockers a new cam and lifters and such.

7. BillyC

BillyC In Fourth Gear

Sounding good as we want to see you and your piece of art in Dawsonville

8. scbarger

scbarger Banner Maker

Ok I am going to go ahead and spend the money with a roller cam I think it is going to be Comp Cam K32-601-8 Mutha' Thumpr. The kit come with timing chain push rods lifters and springs and a few other things. The machine shop guy is a friend so he going to give me his cost on it. Hopefully the machine work will be done by mid week and we can start to put it back together.

9. 74Rancherito

74Rancherito In Fourth Gear

Roller Cam all the way....
    Look into some heads while ur at it....
    maybe AFR or TFS..

10. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

You will like the roller cam, the flatter torque curve is great during 'normal' street driving, and the longer full valve opening times will wake up your top end.

11. scbarger

scbarger Banner Maker

Not that I am too concerned with factory, but what color should my engine be painted? I am thinking just the normal Ford dark blue but I seen some lighter blues that almost look like Grabber blue what should it be? I was thinking of matching the engine with the outside but not sure if that would be to much?

12. kirksss32

kirksss32 In Overdrive

paint it any color you want,,, your not makeing a points car are you?..ive even painted some motors lime green just to make it stand out....:p

13. parts4me

What are you doing with the engine? Chrome pieces, or satin black stuff? I like it when people paint it black and then use aluminum valve covers to offset the colors.

14. scbarger

scbarger Banner Maker

Kirk I had a 73 Purple Camaro with a hot pink engine so you could say I never worry about points.
    Parts4 the motor let lose so now it is time for a rebuild. I don't like chrome for the most part it will look the same but every thing will be clean and have fresh paint.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2012
  15. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

I'd vote match the exterior blue. If the inner fenders and firewall are black that should be plenty contrast but look striking along with the monochrome look you already have going. Maybe break it up some on the engine with stainless bolts ? I'd want the underside of the hood body color too in high gloss.

16. scbarger

scbarger Banner Maker

Yeah the under side of the hood is Grabber Blue and you have seen the air cleaner and valve covers.

17. scbarger

scbarger Banner Maker

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2012
  18. kirksss32

kirksss32 In Overdrive

19. parts4me

Good choice sir. This of course will require you to now post a video of your truck starting up when you get the motor back.:D

20. scbarger

scbarger Banner Maker

Just some new pics hopefully the motor will be back together this week and in next week.
    [​IMG]
    The day we pulled the motor
    [​IMG]
    The motor pulled apart bent rod and all.
    [​IMG]
    Fresh black paint all the yellow is gone
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Painted black around the tail lights

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2012