My 77 project

Discussion in 'The Stable' started by Mark Wiggins, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Mark Wiggins

Mark Wiggins In Second Gear

Today I removed the seat and all the underlayment. There was surface rust and a few small holes that rusted through. Going to patch the holes and use rust reformer on floor. The tar/putty that was used on the body joints was flaking off and I removed most of it. There is a camper roof repair product that comes in a roll that I am going to use in place of the original stuff. I used it on my camper years ago and its still working. Probably spray the whole thing with bedliner when the repairs are done.
    Mark 20181116_152002_20181116152349179.jpg

2. Jeff B.

Jeff B. In Second Gear

Mark, when I replaced my carpet I put down a sound deadener/insulating product called Noico. It’s foil-backed 80 mil butyl similar to Dynamat Exteme but much more reasonably priced. Available on eBay. I also put it inside the doors. The difference it made in quieting the interior is amazing. I highly recommend it!

Basstrix and Mark Wiggins like this.
  3. Mark Wiggins

Thanks I have been looking at several products and I will take a look at your suggestion. I like the idea of squares rather than one big piece, I think it will be easier to work with.
    Mark

4. Jeff B.

Jeff B. In Second Gear

It can be cut with shears as well.

Mark Wiggins likes this.
  5. Mark Wiggins

One step closer, painted with rust reformer and sealed the seams with the camper roof repair. This stuff lasted 6years in Alaska and 6 years in eastern Oregon Desert on my camper and is still holding up. I ran out and have to order a new roll. I ordered the underlayment that Jeff recommended should be here next week.
    Mark
    20181124_100228.jpg

Jeff B. likes this.
  6. Mark Wiggins

Thanks Jeff, carpet fits like a glove. The Noico underlayment was super easy to work with, but I need to get more so I can do behind the seats and the doors. I only have to cut 4 holes for the bucket seats, the rest were all in the right place. Going to let it rest in place for a while before I put the trim back on.
    Mark
    20181128_120718.jpg

Jeff B. likes this.
  7. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

The carpet really ties the room together....er, cab. Looks great.
    [​IMG]

Mark Wiggins and ForistellFord like this.
  8. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive

My favorite interior color on those things. Looks great so far!!!

Mark Wiggins and TestDummy like this.
  9. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Looks very nice, keep it warm and let it settle.

Mark Wiggins likes this.
  10. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Second Gear

Mark,
    Your project gives me inspiration for my 77! That really looks like it came together nicely!!!!!! Well done!!!!

She was originally light blue and the second owner had her murdered out in gloss black which I actually like but the paint job is about a 20' finish in that she looks good at 20' but the inside was not done. I am seriously considering going to the "ox blood" red interior if I can get my hands on the interior of a 77ish T-bird (split bench, power seats, power windows, etc. oh and AC). Do you have a name for that camper seem sealer tape? I know of several but your endorsement speaks volumes. I know of several types of rust inhibitor/reformer products and yours appears to be spray rather than roller/bush, which one? You said you came up short on your Noico mat, how much do you figure it will take all told to seal her in?

Cheers,
    Doc

Mark Wiggins likes this.
  11. Jeff B.

Jeff B. In Second Gear

Looks great Mark! I’m really happy you were the one to get it, and seeing your progress. I didn’t realize the floor pans were the same for the 77-79 models as the 72-76 until now. Keep posting updates!

Mark Wiggins likes this.
  12. Mark Wiggins

Doc the tape is Quick Roof Extreme I got it from home depot you can also find it online. It comes in several sizes I used 4 inch x 25 foot but needed another 10 feet to finish the job. I used rustolem spray for the rust reformer. I bought 36 Square feet and it was just enough to cover the carpet area, I figure another 20 will let me cover behind the seats and do the doors.
    Good luck with your project, I am having fun with mine. Just put the bucket seats in and she's looking good.
    Mark

13. parts4me

parts4me In Maximum Overdrive

Same interior color as mine. Looking sharp!

Mark Wiggins likes this.
  14. TestDummy

That's what sh.....never mind.

15. Mark Wiggins

Got it all back together, eventually I will reupholster the seats they will get a good cleaning for now.
    Next I am going to give the outside a good wash and then start buffing the paint back to life. I ordered touch up paint but might use bedliner in the bed.
    Mark 20181130_120603.jpg

Basstrix, ForistellFord and Jeff B. like this.
  16. Basstrix

Basstrix In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Thanks for posting that, Jeff. I'm near the phase of putting the interior back into my red car and will be looking into this product.

Jeff B. and Mark Wiggins like this.
  17. ForistellFord

That's where I would use it. ;)

Looks great, Mark. Nice job!!

Mark Wiggins likes this.
  18. Jeff B.

Jeff B. In Second Gear

I’ve used it in a couple of vehicles with great results. Kills vibrations and associated resonance especially in the doors.

Mark Wiggins likes this.
  19. ForistellFord

Mark, what color are you going to use for the seats when you do them? The contrast is interesting and not bad at all, but wondering if they will be brown like the rest...

20. TestDummy

I used to think white interiors were idiotic. Now I wish I had an Hurst Olds with white interior.

Jeff B. likes this.