My 77 project

Discussion in 'The Stable' started by Mark Wiggins, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Mark Wiggins

Mark Wiggins In Second Gear

I haven't decided yet, they are leather and I would like to stick with that. I was thinking maybe black but I am open to suggestions. What do you think?
    Mark

2. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Ah, the brown is my favorite interior on these babies. I'd lean that way myself. But anymore, I've come to just appreciate all of them. None look bad to me anymore!

Jeff B. and Mark Wiggins like this.
  3. Mark Wiggins

Now that I washed the grime off it I see a lot of rust spots and the windshield leaks. Not rusted through anywhere but it's going to be time consuming. Good thing I'm retired.
    Mark

ForistellFord likes this.
  4. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

The urethane windshield seal gets brittle over time (like 40 years), especially in hot dry climates. If you can get it out in one piece, it should be an easy fix. And if you can't, a competent glass shop should be able to.

ForistellFord and Mark Wiggins like this.
  5. Mark Wiggins

I am worried about rust around the seal, so I am going to remove the windshield. After I fix any damage I will have the glass shop put it back together, I would have a hard time lifting by myself.
    Mark

6. Mark Wiggins

Well I got the windshield out and I broke it :mad:The thing wouldn't budge, I pointed my propane heater into the cab and let it get good and warm. It was starting to come loose and I pushed to hard and cracked it. The good news is that there is no rust. Going to fix the paint chips and have the local guy put a new one in.
    Mark

7. Jeff B.

Jeff B. In Third Gear GOLD MEMBER

Bummer Mark. You have bigger cahonas than me, though. I wouldn’t have even tried to remove a good windshield and defaulted to hiring a mobile glass tech.

8. TestDummy

I took two out, and broke one. I call that a win. What's a windshield cost for that thing? $100?

Jeff B. likes this.
  9. Jeff B.

Jeff B. In Third Gear GOLD MEMBER

A quick internet search looks like between $150-200.

10. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

I say you are better off going with a new windshield, if replacing the original unit, the new one will allow much better visibility with not having any pitting and/or scratches to see through. You will be surprised how much better the wiper blades will work and last on that new WS. The no rust condition is a great thing to see.

Mark Wiggins likes this.
  11. Mark Wiggins

Yeah that's it that's why I broke it lol. Seriously it's the first time I ever removed one.....and probably the last.
    Thanks to everyone for the encouragement.
    Mark

12. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

My brother and I had all the correct tools to remove a windshield from a station wagon for his car, and one 3/8" gob that didn't get cut snapped a crack in the corner of an otherwise good condition used windshield. I guess it comes down to paying attention to simple detail.

13. Mark Wiggins

I got the touch up paint today going to start the process tomorrow. I already have this spot sanded and filled with spot putty.
    I talked to the windshield shop and it will cost about 300 for the new one installed. After I fix the paint chips around the frame I will have it done.
    Mark
    20181204_090748.jpg

Jeff B. and ForistellFord like this.
  14. handy_andy_cv64

Considering its importance, I think it's money well spent. If I ever get to the point of having my windshield pulled, it'll be for a new one. The glare is just a bit too hard to see through.

Mark Wiggins likes this.
  15. ForistellFord

Just had the windshield replaced on my 96 (due to a long crack that finally grew too big). It was only 22 yet the difference between old and new was huge. I can imagine one that's seen twice as many seasons being replaced will be a great improvement.

Mark Wiggins likes this.
  16. handy_andy_cv64

Reminds me of a story, when I worked grounds maintenance at the sub base here in Washington. The crew had one guy who was a chain smoker, and was assigned one truck, so the windows were always schmutzy with tar. One time, he had the day off, so 'someone' (who was grossed out by his mom's smoking) took it upon himself to clean all the insides of the windows to remove all the tar. The next time he came to work, he walked back in after starting the truck and asked who had replaced all the truck's glass....;)

TestDummy and ForistellFord like this.
  17. TestDummy

The punchline was a classic.

ForistellFord likes this.
  18. ForistellFord

Caught me off-guard!

TestDummy likes this.
  19. handy_andy_cv64

That's why I told it--it dovetailed in to the windshield discussion.

20. TestDummy

What did?