My Daughters 1968 Ranchero

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by RichOahu, Feb 2, 2011.

1. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Overdrive

The factory's idea is for you to replace your new car a few years later before all these little things start popping up. They don't think much of us who hang on to them for decades, We don't make them much money. The assembly line process takes precedence over the repair process. Thats why I have to pull my headliner out, take the sunroof out, to get the molding off to change the vinyl top on my Mark IV.

2. RichOahu

RichOahu In Second Gear

3. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

amazing how much nast works its way into the crooks and crevasses! as I do the same thing on the "Rock" its clean and paint with a coat of bedliner...figure they oughta last forever!

4. RichOahu

RichOahu In Second Gear

/sigh

well my daughter came to me today and said she wants to sell it and get a more "modern" car......

i thought we had went through all of this before be bought it, i had explained to her how it was going to be.

so now all this work for nothing. we both were not aware of the "leaks" and that might have put her off. i did manage to eliminate most of it coming in from the floor, firewall and was about to take a look at an area in the compartment be hind the seats on the passenger side.....

she has driven it a few times and i thought she liked it. i myself love it but i admit it is very hot inside with no air here in hawaii, especially if in traffic.

oh well, maybe sell this one and buy another with more modern features as we both really like the model.

she got the car for $2750. total landed cost for the car and shipping was $4100. she put another $900 or so into it. we shall see what we get for it.

thank you all for the help! i hope to start another project soon.

5. airford1

airford1 In Maximum Overdrive

My daughter's first car was VW that she crashed.

I fixed it and she bought a Pontiac Feiro GT and crashed it. (Total)

She bought a Geo Strom with the settlement and crashed it. (Total)

I made her take her mothers Ford Probe GT and I took her settlement. (She hated that car)

She finally crashed that one too.

She got a Nissan pick up.

I had a 63 Ranchero that we restored togther and I gave it to her, it stays in the gararge, never drives in the rain and she wont let anybody drive it except me.

She finally learned to take care of things and I tell you that you couldn't offer her enough money to get her to sell that Ranchero.

The point is that you will have more oppertunities to share with your daughter. This Ranchero is part of the journy.

6. rancheromeister

rancheromeister In Overdrive

Rich, my first car was a '72 VW Super Beetle, which my parents bought new. I traded some car stereo stuff to a friend, for a '70 Charger 500 with no wheels and a bad transmission. My dad wouldn't let me keep 2 cars at his house, so I sold the VW for $850. (In '79, that was a lot.) I used the proceeds to have the tranny rebuilt, and bought some used wheels and recap tires. I got a Thermo-Quad carb, intake, and dual-snorkel air cleaner off a police car for $50. BTW, the Charger had a 383, A/C, P/S, PDB, rare tilting driver's seat, alligator-skin vinyl roof, orange bucket seats/console, and the color was Go Mango. After the wiring harness to the wipers fried, driving at night in the pouring rain, I traded it the next day.

It still pains me to think of the what-ifs:
    What if dad had let me keep both cars?
    What if I persevered and had the wiper harness repaired?

Finishing what you start is tough to learn as a teenager; I didn't learn that until my 30's. My advice, use a little semi-tough love;selling the Ranchero is conditional on finishing the repairs. Does the car have factory A/C? Thought I saw A/C vents in the pics. If so, it's simple to fix, especially compared to most
    'modern' cars. The cowl damage looks intimidating, but it's a common problem for Mustang-related Fords. If you don't fix it, you're gonna have a hard time selling it for half of what you have invested so far. And, your potentially best buyers have seen the damage on this website. And most of us are painfully aware of how under-appreciated Rancheros are, and the low prices they tend to bring. However, well-equipped '68-'71s can get real expensive.:( JMHO.
    JD:cool:

7. SilverBullitt

SilverBullitt In Second Gear

So true. Bought my 1st Ranchero at 15 with the intention to restore with my dad. Did a little work here and there but on my 17th b-day there was a new Dakota sitting in my driveway and the Ranchero project was forgotten. 2 months later that new Dakota became a used Ram 1500 and a year after that, sold the Ram for a Wrangler Rubicon. I decided to modify the Jeep but still wasn't ready for the task so I had it done professionally. Fast forward to last September, a little over 2.5 years later, I decided I wanted a new daily driver, something comfortable that actually got good gas mileage for once, so I bought a new Subaru WRX. A few month later, last December, I stumble upon a '72 Ranchero on ebay. I showed it to my dad and he liked it. My mom found out we were looking at it and called me while at school and said 3 cars (Jeep, WRX, '76 Ranchero) was enough and said no more cars. That afternoon I found out I was the high bidder and won the car. Told my dad right away and he took care of the shipping to ensure it went straight to his shop rather than the house. Now its somewhat of a secret project. I think my dad doesn't mind because he did a similar thing back in the day with a dirt bike. His mom (my grandma) said no so he snuck one home. I'm 21 now and while I still may be immature and can be very impulsive at times, I do feel like I am finally ready to actually see this project through to the end and couldn't be more excited about it.

Moral of the story is that the youth with be themselves. I have a feeling that while we (talking of the youth and my peers) are legally considered adults at 18, many aspects of our lives is dictated by the notion of "here and now." I'm sure your daughter will come around and reconsider the idea of a father/daughter car project. While it may not be with this car, based on my story as well as that of other members' experiences, it seems highly probable that there will be another opportunity for a family restoration project in the future.

I wish you the best of luck and hope everything works out well for you.

8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver In Second Gear

More modern car

Well, I have a '79 Ranchero - it's more modern. I'd be happy with an even trade! :p

9. Dave W

Dave W In Second Gear

Great Thread. I had a 68 like this one for one of my daughters a couple of years back. But She made some wrong choices, (Dropping out of school etc)..So we basically sold it out from under her. You Play, You Pay. Still, Shes only 18 so there's always tomorrow.

Glad you got to spend some quality time...:)

10. RichOahu

RichOahu In Second Gear

what kind of shape is it in? been waiting for a thread from you since you got yours very near the same time we picked this one up.

this 68 runs awesome. the engine is rebuilt and has no knocks pings anything. i love the way it sounds and looks! just had the exahast redone, new flowmasters. new tires, body is staight as an arrow except one area near the drivers side rear and if i get the setlement from matson, that will be fixed as well since the insurance adjuster they has me take it to was very kind and included EVERYTHING on the side that was damaged when the pipe broke off and bounced up on the day i picked it up. hmm, did i mention any of that previously in this thread? i forget! i only made it half a mile from the port before the muffler fell off.... anyway, this car is in pretty good shape and i have no idea what your 79 is like ;-P

but thank you for the offer! my mom actually had a LTD that looks just like the 79 rancheros look. hood that goes on forever!

11. Holy Diver

Holy Diver In Second Gear

My '79

I have a crapload of pictures of my '79 on Flickr. I seriously doubt your daughter would be interested in a trade. This truck needs much of what she has already done on the '68! Leaky bed, leaky rear window and a slight bit of leakage at the firewall (sounds familiar?).... It does have A/C though! ;)

http://www.flickr.com/groups/ranchero

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xxmachonexx

The car runs great. 351W 2BBL with an FMX transmission.

12. RichOahu

RichOahu In Second Gear

hey m8, check out your chero, looks like it could use some TLC! 11 years newer, but hawaii did a number on it.

may i ask what you paid for it?

but it was at one time a VERY sweet ride! and with some care i bet it can and will be again!

13. RichOahu

RichOahu In Second Gear

wow good news!

rained hard last night, no lake ranchero in the car this morning!

NO water from the front passenger side, just a trickle on the drivers side, didn't have enough to pool.

the rear passenger side compartment was still wet, but i never did look at that area yet.

for the hell of it, driving it to work today ;-P

14. hawk

hawk In Fourth Gear

Man,can't you keep her? One of my favorite years. Wish I could afford to adopt her--the 'Chero,not your daughter LOL.

15. RichOahu

RichOahu In Second Gear

i am trying to get my wife to let me keep it... but she said "it isn't practical for me"..... no place to pick-up my sons..

heh, i even told her i would put a bench seat in it!

:-(

16. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Too bad she lost interest so quick....Didnt you say she bought it with her funds remind her how much she will lose if she sells it right now, I would have her wait a couple of months before selling it to give it a chance,

17. RichOahu

RichOahu In Second Gear

yeah, was her money. the problem is, she lives at home and has no bills. most of her paycheck goes right in the bank. so since she purchased it, over half the money has built up again... so she doesn't have a concept of the cost....

me and her moms fault i guess for controlling her money. before the purchase, she had over 18 grand in the bank. every two weeks she gets her spending money, pays her phone bill and that's it.....

plus she is convinced she will get at least the five grand she has spent so far. and she very well might, it is a damn nice car and rare in hawaii. the ultimate surf car ;-P

/sigh

18. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

As was said just before my reply, we all wonder if we're crazy once in a while while working on these older cars. It's just natural. Maybe Sarah or Diggette could chime in with the feminine gearhead side for your daughter so she'd understand that it takes time and effort to gain anything good. I know all the sayings about opinions and ain't going there but offering mine anyway = Your gal has the opportunity on a golden platter to be the person looked up to and admired by her peers and everyone else in the huge old car world if she follows through this project. Might not mean much to her now but later on it will if she passes this oportunity up. Rich, the only mistake I see you guys are making is trying to drive your project while you are working on it. That Ranchero needs to be her toy, her trophy, not her everyday beater. Ask Sarah, ask Digg ! Heck, ask my wife ! ( 931-649-5725 ) Find her a cheap, reliable beater and keep working on the Ranchero.
    Just my three cents worth.

19. davis

davis In Maximum Overdrive

small steps.
    when the SH gets bad, i walk away for awhile. then get back into it.
    all depends on my funds for me though.

but once i complete a fix, i feel good about it.
    then i tell myself, "at least i don't own an el camino, this is different"

you dont respect things that come easy.

a woman who tools on her own ride gets a lot of respect from me.

thats cool!

20. hawk

hawk In Fourth Gear

C'mon Rich,tell us she's keeping it. Explain to her the advantages of being pretty.a gearhead and owning a 68 Ranchero. She will be elected Queen of Hawaii. Hell,I'll vote for her with those recommendations.