My new spare time project.....

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by 78Squire400M, Jan 17, 2008.

1. 78Squire400M

78Squire400M In Overdrive

I'm thinking about building a fiberglass hood scoop for my Squire. Just wanted to get some ideas from anyone with 'glass experience on what it might cost and just how difficult such a project might be. I've got a fair amount of resin already, just don't know how much I'll eventually need. Also, should I use the woven mat or the regular mat? I've read about using some kind of green floral foam for a mold and tinfoil under the mat so it will release easy. Any ideas will be appreciated. It will have to be at least 16" to cover the hole I cut in the hood for the air cleaner. I know it'd be much easier to buy one and slap it on the hood, but I really need something to build!:D

BTW, I'm leaning towards a Boss 429 style scoop, 3-4 inches high in the front and 2 inches high in the rear.

Comments??

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2008
  2. As Is '66

As Is '66 2 Wheeled Mod Staff Member

The one on Rusty is of that 'Boss' design, And J.C. Whitney sells them cheaper than th trouble you hafta go through to make one...I know th pride of making it is a BIG factor though...Swap meets are another good source...

3. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Actually Dennis the BOSS 429 is different than the one you have/had/was on Rusty Wasent that one of the parts you blew off with the pressure washer??????

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2008
  4. As Is '66

As Is '66 2 Wheeled Mod Staff Member

Yeah, I blasted it off...BUT I re~attached it...
    You got any blinkers to go in it???
    How `bout th grillwork too???

5. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Just one, really -- think first about how to keep rain and snow out of it.

I recently saw the scoop of my dreams at a street show -- molded out of smoky gray plexiglass, about 1/4" thick, with the very visible air cleaner element showing. It was just screwed on top of the hood with some SS allen bolts and washers. His install was open at the back, which I think would go a way toward solving the rain problem.

6. Lovinmy74

Lovinmy74 In Maximum Overdrive

I have a future plan of putting a built 460 in mine and I need to find a good scoop also. Is there a way of keeping rain out of a front facing scoop or is it just a dumb design?

7. 5.0 Chero

Its real easy..........................do not drive in the rain!!!!!!!!!:D

8. Lovinmy74

Lovinmy74 In Maximum Overdrive

Well thats a dumb design then. I always figured there was a gaurd in there or something.

9. 5.0 Chero

Lonny 90% of the factory scoops are dummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The hoods are not open Most of the factory ones had drains on them so the water would not drip down on the motor but if you are driving and the scoop is sealed to the air cleaner.. you will be ingesting some water in the engine

10. 78Squire400M

78Squire400M In Overdrive

How do you think "Boss 6.6" would look on both sides?:D

11. BlueOvals

BlueOvals In Maximum Overdrive

Just a question. I have a factory fiberglass hood on my 67 Cyclone, the openings are supposed to be blanked off with inserts. I currently have them open, two slots about 1 1/2" by 5" times two, facing forward. Is it ill advised to run that way, even if I don't plan to run in the rain? I.E. should I blank them off as intended in the factory. "Ram air effect" is probably minimal to non-existant anyway, right?