Need help ID-ing heads

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by beerbelly, Jul 14, 2019.

1. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

A guy on another forum is looking for info or history on these heads he has. They're C6FE-6090-B BBF aluminum heads. Anyone have any info?

GT403.jpg GT40.jpg GT402.jpg GT404.jpg

andrewok1 likes this.
  2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Wow, aluminum FE heads. I think this is in Hillbilly's wheelhouse here! The proper engineering number is C6FE-6090-B, if I'm correct, and the casting(?) date is 11-23-1965.

3. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Nice ! And I bet he already knows what they are worth.

4. beerbelly

Hillbilly, do you know what engines or cars these were used on? He'd like to know, and what they're worth.

5. Hillbilly

Probably came off a 427 medium riser. Dealer ordered and installed by your guess is as good as mine. Someone wanted more than the cast iron heads delivered. Mostly weight savings and could stand a bit higher compression without the death rattle. All over the board on prices, depends on if they need any touch-up machine work. If those are sodium filled valves they got to go. Bare heads somewhere around $2500.

6. beerbelly

Thanks Hillbilly.

7. handy_andy_cv64

*whistles* Wow. I figured at least ten Benjis, bare.

8. handy_andy_cv64

And I thought they were MR intake runners, but without a parts sheet to confirm, I didn't want to talk out of turn.

9. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

Love these questions... allows for breaking out the books and tracking it down.

per "High Performance Ford Engine Parts Interchange - 221 CID to 460 CID" George Reid, 1998... cast code C6FE is not listed for small or big block.

Went to the internet and found...

Oct 07, 2009 ยท C6FE heads were never installed on any normal production car by ford. They were used on FIA cobras, Daytona Coupes, R model Shelbys and Gt40 Competition Coupes. These are not 289 HP heads. All C6FE parts were classified 289 HD by ford and only used in select racing applications. Even Mk1 GT40 street cars had standard 289 HP engines.

https://www.gt40s.com/threads/c6fe-heads-information-required.19291/

10. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

You can see that they are "FE" heads, right? Not small block heads. Probably won't find them in many Ford parts books.

11. handy_andy_cv64

"Off-the-books" parts?

12. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Were you able to find them ? :p

13. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Interesting that the casting of "6090B" isn't even correct for a cylinder head part number. Base part number for heads is 6049.

14. beerbelly

A response from another member of that forum:

Those are indeed aluminum medium riser heads made for the GT40 MKII . They were NEVER over the counter OR dealer installed. They were a part of the "light weight" engine package created in late '65 for the '66 LeMans race. ( not to be confused with a light weight Galaxie) The engine also used an aluminum center harmonic balancer , aluminum water pump , magnesium single four intake and a dry sump oiling system. My research leads me to believe that less than 100 heads were cast in '65 and they were never recast after that. When made , they used smaller "low riser" valve sizes because the steel seats limited the size of the valve. There should be hand stamped numbers on the end of the heads which could be of more help to me. Never used in Nascar as aluminum heads were not legal back then. Some did make it into drag racing after the LeMans race in '66 as the Tunnel Port 427 head was being developed for the '67 race . I owned an NOS pair back in 2000 and am very familiar with them. While rare , they are not as powerful as a modern , Edelbrock , Trick flow , etc aftermarket head. Price depends heavily on the amount of damage to the one head.

15. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Does the person inquiring have a pair of heads and is one damaged to some degree?

16. beerbelly

Yes, he said one was damaged due to a "liberated piston". Ouch!

17. Hillbilly

Tunnel ports were on the winning Lemans engines. If they were experimental, somewhere on them is "SK". They would be candidates for repair and updating by John Kaase. Ah, what if your dealer was Holman/Moody ? More info when Dad get's back to me later this evening.

18. beerbelly

Cool. This "automotive archeology" is very interesting.

19. handy_andy_cv64

I'm both stoked, and jealous! Finding something as rare and 'off-the-books' as these is a real treat!

20. Hillbilly

Your source is correct, GT 40 was the intended use until the tunnel port heads were sorted out. Cast in a Canadian foundary same as the tunnel port heads. Dad got handed a set back when he was drag racing. Saved weight but no performance change from the iron head of that design. He laughed as he described getting another set of heads later that came with the warning to not rub very hard on the numbers as they might fall off. Dad then asked me if I knew what the two classes of drag racers were back then. After admitting I was clueless he said, "The two classes of racers was loosers and cheaters". Ford made sure some of the connected teams had a bit of an edge and I'm sure the other brands did the same tricks.