Need help ID-ing heads

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by beerbelly, Jul 14, 2019.

1. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Thanks for the info Hillbilly; you and your Dad are a great source for Ford performance history.

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Now that you said they were for drag racing, it makes sense why the heads were MR heads. It would've been interesting if NASCAR had allowed aluminum heads as 'stock' heads, whether the HR heads might've also given a weight advantage usable on an oval race car.

3. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

427 Ford 009 (2).jpg 427 Ford 010 (2).jpg Yeah, the high riser heads would have been an added advantage like the tunnel ports but you ran into where can I cut the car to make room for them problem. Kinda like Dad's Thunderbolt, damn if it ain't close fitting. You would have to have an absolute unmodified car to compare with to see the slice and dice that it took to make tunnel ports fit that hole. All in fun, cheat or be a back marker. Any weight loss gives an advantage, drag or oval, or road course. Ever thought about those FE intakes with the carb offset to the driver's side ? Lot's of skunk works parts surfacing nowdays. Ancient tech still potent if you get lucky and find it. Stash parts Andy =

4. beerbelly

The mystery deepens; from the other forum guy:

Cast at the "special" or prototype foundry in Detroit , not Canada. Even the infamous "Canadian Cobra jet" heads were not cast in Canada nor even machined there. The Windsor foundry was not making heads at that time .

5. handy_andy_cv64

If I ever could reach that monetary 'rarified air!'

6. Hillbilly

If the foundry was in Detroit I would almost bet it was Bill Coon who did them. He still makes the parts needed to build a 427 SOHC. A few years back he offered to sell me everything needed save some minor machine work for $17K.

7. handy_andy_cv64

For a SOHC? That's the same price as a Dodge new-manufacture elephant motor! Heh, you could build a replica of Gas Ronda's SOHC drag Mustang!

8. beerbelly

More photos. It looks like these have been flow tested & marked:

20190715-162015.jpg 20190715-161935.jpg 20190715-161837.jpg 20190715-161758.jpg

9. pmrphil

pmrphil In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Looks like combustion chamber sizes

10. beerbelly

Doh! Of course, otherwise those would be some damn low flow numbers.

pmrphil likes this.
  11. Hillbilly

And there is the Special stamp. Probably are Bill's work. If I can find his number I will ask him what his take is on these heads. They would be great on a period correct (LOL) street engine. You could have some fun jacking up some car show judges because nearly all of them would be clueless. The FOMOCO cast into the rectangle would give them fits. Noticed one other thing about them, they don't have the multiple exhaust mounting bolt holes that would allow using the horizontal bolt pattern cast iron free flowing manifolds used in Fairlanes and Comets. Verticle bolt holes mean they were intended to match full size car manifolds or the snake nest headers in a GT40. A set of inline carbs up top would ruin their day. Project Parts 2.jpg

pmrphil likes this.
  12. beerbelly

From the other guy. I'm wondering if you two guys should get together to talk about the old days? It seems like you guys could answer any questions about many things.

In '65 , Bill Coon was a Ford employee , not a Ford engineer capable ( then) of having heads cast. His friends called him the "dumpster diver" . To his credit he "scrounged" enough "junk" parts to put together a cammer to replace the High Riser in his '57 Thunderbird drag car. It was one of the first "private" cammer powered cars. His was running before many of the Drag Team members got one! He had nothing to do with the GT40 cylinder head project. The lead engineer IIRC was Joe Balcerowiec (sp) or Joe B as he was called.

13. beerbelly

Hillbilly, would you be interested in talking to this guy on the other forum? He said he's interested. PM me if so.