Need help pricing this Ranchero

Discussion in 'Rancheros For Sale' started by Bruce Myers, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Bruce Myers

Bruce Myers In Second Gear

We inherited a 1971 Ranchero 429- 4v, Cobra Jet, J code, Ram air, 3.25 Traction- Lok axle ratio. 4 speed manual Tranie, there were 56 made with this transmission and engine codes. Has about 71000 miles. The body on a scale of 1-10 an 8 because of some minor imperfections, other that that the body is solid, new tires. Needs carpet, headliner and vinyl top, they are not bad but we have all the carpet, vinyl and head liner to fix it. I have it tagged and we do drive it to keep it running sharp. . Any help would be appreciated. I will attach some pictures.

Attached Files:

• 3.png
      3.png
      File size:
      939.5 KB
      Views:
    • 4.png
      4.png
      File size:
      825.8 KB
      Views:
  2. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

$25-30,000?

Next!

Hillbilly likes this.
  3. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Test Dummy is right on the money. Dad's is fresh from restoration at $35K but that is for a nearly perfect example. High or low depends on how expensive the flaws are to fix.

4. rfinnegan

rfinnegan In Fourth Gear

$25-30K sounds reasonable. You'll have a stronger case if you can confirm the Ranchero was built with that engine and tranny combo, that the numbers match, and that the shaker hood is correct (base looks odd to me). Also you'll need to some supporting documentation regarding the mileage. In my opinion, the title and odometer readings are not sufficient. You'll need registration/inspection documentation that would support the idea that the thing has been driven an average of only 1500 miles per year since new.
    Or you can just base it on this...
    https://classiccars.com/listings/vi...ero-gt-for-sale-in-stratford-new-jersey-08084

5. Hillbilly

Something is odd about a lot of things under that hood. I have owned close to 30 of the 429 CJ and SCJ's so I kinda' remember how they were equipped. VIN number needs to have either a "C" or a "J" in it along with a matching VIN on the block pad behind the driver's side head. Got some "GO FAST" additions but they don't add to the value unless the original parts are included. The chicken wire grill would have to go. Still a nice start if there is no rust.

6. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Amen to that. I see that all the time on auction shows like Mecum. They constantly say "those additions are just bolt on and they do include the originals". It really matters.

As for $25-$30k, wouldn't that be more accurate if the new parts were properly installed rather than just included? Like the headliner, carpet, etc. I think personally people paying up to that level would expect less of a project to get it all wrapped up. I'd definitely consider getting that stuff installed before you sell it, if you sell it.

Hillbilly likes this.
  7. Bruce Myers

Thanks everyone, I don't believe its a $30000. car but based on what you mentioned it could be a $15000.00 car to the right person.

8. Bruce Myers

I found the original ad for this car when my Brother in law purchased it. Don't think he paid the asking price. This is what the ad said "VERY SORRY, JUST SOLD TO A BUYER IN FLORIDA!!! RARE, RARE, RARE, 1971 Ford Ranchero GT with original correct 429 Cobra Jet, 375 Hp....yes this is a J code car- Hurst 4 Speed transmission- Per Marti Auto Works, ie: The Marti Report, this Ranchero is 1 of 56 made in 1971 with a 429 Cobra Jet Ram Air and 4 speed drivetrain. Equipped with Tu-Tone Hood, Tachometer, Bench seat, Black vinyl top and best of all approximately 61,700 miles on this beauty! This Ranchero is beleived to be a 4 owner auto most recently owned by a father and son since 2004. Solid body, clean bed, clean undercarriage, and spotless engine compartment. This car is a must see for Ford Cobra Jet enthusiasts as you may not see another 1971 Ranchero with a correct 429CJ and 4 speed!!!

9. Bruce Myers

I also have the Martiautoworks Deluxe report he had ordered. I have a notebook full of invoices for almost everything done to this car.

10. Bruce Myers

Does anyone know where the numbers are for the engine and transmission. I will get that part done. The door vin has the J code on it

11. ForistellFord

Well, don't undervalue it either. What I see looks pretty dang nice, and some of the folks here seem to have really perked up at it. If the experts here think it could be $25k plus as it sits, don't sell it short!

12. Bruce Myers

Thanks Foristellford

ForistellFord likes this.
  13. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I think it's only worth $5000, but I'm willing to give you $6000 because I really like red rancheros. I can be there with cash tomorrow. :D

14. Bruce Myers

I did buy some oceanside property in AZ:)

15. ForistellFord

If you have Sean and Hillbilly's attention, it's a nice ride. Hillbilly probably owned it at some point anyway.

16. Hillbilly

Nope, my red one had power disc brakes, power steering, and a/c even thou they scream that none were built with a "J" code and a/c. Don't give it away ! You could spend $8K or more cherrying it out but you'd not get that much more back on your investment. Headliner, seat, carpet, grill, and fix the buckled hood would help it's value a bunch.

17. Bruce Myers

No Ac or Power steering in this car Hillbilly, thanks for the advise

18. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Based on the previously undisclosed information, and stuff, I now say $15-18,000.

19. Bruce Myers

Thanks , $15 to 18 sounds about right. Thanks for you input

20. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Overdrive

Hagerty Valuation indicates:

#1 - $33,300
    #2 - $22,700
    #3 - $14,000
    #4 - $6,100