Need help why ingtion switch isnt starting the motor but bypass to starter relay it cranks over no f

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Danberg1, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Rods N Restos

Rods N Restos In Fourth Gear

You would need someone to Tig weld a patch as that is a precision weld that would be better sealed and not leak.
    I was going to use it on a 72 Gran Torino Sport of a guy I know that had a stripped out oil plug hole but when I dug it out and looked at it I noticed the pitting in the pan and rust hole.
    The motor mounts you can have for $25 + shipping as I'll never have a use for them.
    I can dig out the pan and take a photo if you want

2. Rods N Restos

I'll look to see if there was oil pump with the pick up tube.
    The pump I wouldn't use cause it's got rained on but the pick up can be taken off and use on a new oil pump which you can order at a parts store but they don't usually come with the pick up tube on them

3. Danberg1

Danberg1 In Second Gear

Please take pics of oil pan

4. Danberg1

Danberg1 In Second Gear

Does anyone know what position the key tumber needs to be in in order to put a new one in it wont let me unload pic the knob that comes out when u turn key off or when u turn key on it goes down

5. Rods N Restos

I usually pull the steering wheel off to take the key cylinder out but I was told you can get them to release with the key in.
    Not sure if it's in the on position or if you have to turn the key past off to accessory position.
    Any time I had to switch a key cylinder in the column was mostly due to lost key.
    I did change the key cylinder in our 72 Sport cause someone changed both doors but did not swap the key lock so there was no key for the door lock and I locked the car at Carlisle Ford Show just to find out that the ignition key didn't unlock the doors like it was suppose to.
    I had to break into the car at the show.
    I found a vendor who had some Mustang parts and got a new key cylinder with matching door locks for $25 and they looked the same as what was in the Gran Torino so I bought them.
    I changed it out later at home but I put a custom Grant steering wheel on the car so it was easy to take the wheel off and just push the lock pin in from inside the column.
    I have the old key cylinder in my toolbox so I can check tomorrow what position the key releases the locking pin

6. Danberg1

Danberg1 In Second Gear

Ok i was asking what position does the part in coulm has to be in to order put in new key tumber i got old one out or say my lovk smith had to drill old one out so its ready for new one but just trying make sure i put new one in correctly

7. Danberg1

Danberg1 In Second Gear

Another question wby are people saying 351 m is junk use a 351 w because more power and easy to find parts whats your guys opinion on it u cant find parts for 351 m from what i was told

8. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

The lock cylinder has to be in the position it would be in if the car was running. Next position back from the start position. That is where the release pin can be pushed in. Hold the body of the replacement cylinder then turn the key to the spot where the pin can be pushed in flush with the body of the cylinder. The cylinder will then slide into the column. If you turn the key from that position the lock pin will extend and hold the cylinder in the column. Some columns have a notch that lines up with the pin letting you have a hole to push the pin in without removing the steering wheel. Look near the bottom side of the column for the notch and pin hole.

9. Rods N Restos

I looked at the pan and went over it with wire wheel cause whole bottom is pitted.
    It made a bunch of pinholes so whole bottom of pan would need replaced.
    Did a google search and you can buy brand new oil pans
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-82-Fo...400-Stock-Capacity-Oil-Pan-Zinc/153229842931?

Here is NOS Ford pan if you want to spend the money
    https://www.ebay.com/i/143540666864?

You can also buy the stock oil pan pick up tube with screen.
    The one I have the screen is crushed and not worth it when you can order new one
    http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eB...ry=6778&pm=1&ds=0&t=1601585376997&cspheader=1
    If you search I'm sure you can buy oil dipstick tube also

10. Rods N Restos

You can buy all parts needed to rebuild a 351M,you can even buy aftermarket performance parts such as bigger camshaft,lifter,springs and the works.
    You can get aftermarket aluminum intakes that are lighter then cast iron intake a flow better.
    There isn't anything you can't do with a 351M ,400 or even 351C so it's totally up to you what you choose.
    But it's not a problem getting parts for it

11. Danberg1

Danberg1 In Second Gear

There is a little knob that comes up when u turn key off and on right now its flush its not poking out in coulm is it wrong

12. Danberg1

Danberg1 In Second Gear

Because i took broken one out left my son in car min to get other one and he had a screw driver in hole and i think he moved the switch so i dont think the position is correct

13. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Gimme a few minutes, I have Babe's spare cylinder, I'll snap a few pics, post them up, so you can see how it lines up.

14. Rods N Restos

Put screwdriver in the hole and turn backwards.
    Count how many clicks it moves.
    Accessory postion is 1 click back and stops.
    Off is then 1 click forward,next is ignition on then last is starter engage which is spring loaded and will return to on.
    It should be I believe either in on or off postion to insert the new key cylinder into the column

15. handy_andy_cv64

PSX_20201001_182911.jpg
    First pic, the lock is in the OFF-LOCK position, because the key, the keyminder strip and the 'key' that turns the pinion gear are all aligned.

PSX_20201001_183200.jpg
    Notice that the pinion 'key' is flat. There is a slot in both the pinion gear and the washer that holds the pinion gear in place. When the cylinder is in the OFF-LOCK position, that 'key' is trapped by the washer.

PSX_20201001_182946.jpg
    Now the cylinder is turned to the START position. The 'key' is now aligned with the lock pin, and the lock pin can be gently pushed in to insert or remove the cylinder.

PSX_20201001_183137.jpg

And when it's in the START position, the 'key' is 90° angled from the keyminder terminal.

16. handy_andy_cv64

Also, the slot in the pinion and the 'key' are match machined so the 'key' only goes in the pinion's slot one way.

17. Danberg1

Danberg1 In Second Gear

Ok guys i will try that

18. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

To install the lock, the key is in the "run" position. The bronze pin in the lock cylinder is blocked when the key is in off to prevent someone removing the lock without the key which is why your locksmith had to drill the lock.

19. Danberg1

Danberg1 In Second Gear

Ok fellows update i got motor and trans transfered in to 79 from 77 all bolted up hooked wires up plugs from the donor vehicle now it just cranks w key but no spark i need ideas please transmission linkage isnt hooked up correctly no lights come on dash w key on i double checked every thing still mo spark i transfered all electronics components from fire wall ingtion modules etc from donor ranchero

20. Danberg1

Danberg1 In Second Gear

Please help