Need Help with Door Latch

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by colnago, Jan 11, 2019.

1. colnago

colnago In Fourth Gear

Fairly recently, my driver door latch has started giving me trouble. I'll open the door, and when I close it, it doesn't latch. I found that if I lock and unlock using the door knob (not the tumbler/key), it latches most of the time. But in general, this is becoming more and more unreliable.

Coincidentally, this happened after I installed new lock tumblers. I don't think that's an issue, though, because I disconnected the rod from the tumbler, and am still having problems. I played around with a screwdriver and the latch mechanism, thinking that maybe it wasn't contacting the striker hard enough, but I couldn't get it to latch.

Is it just worn out? Does it sound like something broke? Why will it work if I use the lock first? It probably means that I need a new mechanism, but I figured that I would ask first.

Joseph

2. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Might need lube/cleaning or is binding on something. Might try hosing it down with WD40 and if it frees up either leave it or clean it up. Cold 50 year old grease can get pretty sticky.

3. colnago

colnago In Fourth Gear

The WD-40 seemed to loosen things up, but I still have to jiggle the lock for the latch to catch. I decided that the doors are kinda high on my list of things that gotta work, so I found some OEM latches on eBay. Hopefully, I can get them installed next weekend, when they arrive.

Joseph

4. kaytbugsdad

kaytbugsdad In Second Gear

I had to remove my door latches and completely degrease them, then install new grease ( I used a water proof lithium grease)……. No problems with them since.....