NEVER do this project

Discussion in 'General Automotive Questions' started by 1979 RANCHERO GT, Mar 24, 2011.

1. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Overdrive

Heads up on this project. Just finished replacing an auto shift cable for a 2003 mazda protege. The entire dashboard, console, steering column and heater box must be removed. Took 8 hours, pays 6. I thought Taurus heater cores were bad. Glad there are easy things like Rancheros to fix. I'll make a cardboard beek and go pick s*** with the chickens before I do another one of them.

2. Tim70ranchero

Tim70ranchero In Overdrive

try a heater core on a new Camaro..... you gotta remove the windshield, the dash , drop the steering column, and everything else. its in the center of the dash under the windshield.

3. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Same with a 2000-2007 Caravan. Remove the cowl, remove the dash,..takes all day. Nice design.

4. 1979 RANCHERO GT

That sounds like a couple more to add to the "do not fix" list. This just proves that the factory builds for the assembly line and could care less about the mechanic who has to repair it later. I'll bet what warantee labor time pays doesn't cover the time to do the job.

5. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

The wifes old Caravan needed an A/C evaporator (small leak). The part was like $300, then you add 7 hours of labor to remove instrument panel and a couple hours taking off the cowl. The best price I could get to fix it was $850, from a friend who owned a shop. Never did fix it. I pumped a bunch of stop leak in it, and it didn't leak for a while. I'd have to charge it every spring. Big deal.

6. 1979 RANCHERO GT

Another dopey one. 2009 prius. Front bumper cover has to be removed to remove the lamp assembly so you can change the $150.00 bulb. 2.6 hrs.

7. billyons

billyons In Fourth Gear

Just face it. Auto manufactures do not any one to work on their own cars. It cuts into their profits too much. I'll take an car older than 1975 over anything current.