New 71 fuel tank USA made

Discussion in 'Ranchero Parts For Sale' started by grebaba, Jul 28, 2018.

1. grebaba

grebaba In Third Gear

I found out last week that they are paying the return shipping.
    Greg

Jeff B likes this.
  2. Basstrix

Basstrix In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Nice to hear when a supplier stands behind their mistake.

3. grebaba

grebaba In Third Gear

Yes it is. The lady I talked to on the phone said I was supposed to receive a shipping label when they sent me my RMA number.
    She said she didn't know what happened but their policy is to send a label with each RMA.
    Greg

4. grebaba

grebaba In Third Gear

I ordered a tank for a 73 F350. The tank diminsions on the web site seemed to be close enough for me to use.
    Here are some pictures showing the difference in the two tanks.
    I mocked it up useing jack stands and it will work for what I want to do with just a little fab on the mounting straps.
    Pictures 1 and 2 are of the tanks side by side on the floor. I knew these would not be exact matches but I was looking for a tank that would fit in the orgional spot with the least amout of mod's.
    Picture 3 is a view of how the rear of the tank will line up. Keep in mind that the tank is just sitting on my jack stands and not bolted down so it is not exactly where it will mount up.
    Picture 4 is the alignment of the gas filler neck. There is a 7 of 8 inch difference between where they line up, but since the neck is 2 1/2 inch OD I can order a couple 90 degress muffler pipe and weld them in to match the alignment.
    Picture 5 and 6 are views from the front of the tank about where it will mount.
    Picture 7 is a view from the rear.
    As you can see it isn't an exact fit but will work with very little monification. I didn't check the fuel sending unit but I can order one for a 73 tank as the ohm's are the same.
    Greg

Attached Files:

5. grebaba

grebaba In Third Gear

Went out today and spent 4 hours getting the tank all most exactly where it will mount.
    I checked the ford mount support bracket and it will not work unless I cut it in the middle and weld in a piece about 6 1/2 inches long. In picture 1 you can see the bracket I am talking about.
    I wouldall so have to weld a flange 37 inches long and about 1 inch wide so I could bolt the tank to the bracket.
    While setting it up I checked the straps and I can drill 2, 3/8 inch holes in the rear panel and use the stock s hooks and straps. Picture 2 shows this fairly close to where it will mount.
    Picture 3 shows the clearence from the sending unit mount to the frame.
    All in all I am satisfied that this will work and am going ahead and useing this tank as it is close enough to do the job.
    Greg

Attached Files:

6. grebaba

grebaba In Third Gear

While waiting for the tank parts I forgot to order I went and mounted the tank today.
    First I centered the tank between the rear shackles. It measured 2 1/2 inches from the tank to the inner edge shackel mount on each side.
    Then I checked the rear alingment of the tank and set it at 4 inches from the edge of the bumper bracket on both ends of the tank.
    I then leveled the tank with my degree tool and have it level.
    On the left top of the tank toward the rear on the left side is a slight gap from the top of the tank to the crossmember that I will weld on a 1/4 inch spacer to keep the tank from moving around.
    Then I will drill my to rear mounting holes and finish the install.
    Could not get a good picture of the tape, for some reason the numbers don't show up.
    Greg

Attached Files:

7. grebaba

grebaba In Third Gear

I have mounted the tank in the car. It required me to drill 2 new holes in the rear frame rail for the s hooks and to drill 2 holes in the front to relocate the front mounting bolts.
    I moved the s hooks and front bolts to get the straps to go in the ribs in the tank.
    All I have to do now is connect my fuel filler neck-it will take two 2 1/4 inch id 90 degree connectors and 2 6 inch fuel hoses.
    I also have to put insulation on the top frame rails where they make contact with the tank and put some rubber straps on the tank strap's.
    These tanks will work and are easy to fit with minor mod's required to make them work.
    If you are converting to a in tank fuel pump or just new a new tank then the 73 F-150 to F-350 rear 18 gallon tank is the way to go.
    Greg

Basstrix likes this.
  8. George Rosser

George Rosser In First Gear

Just put a NEW gas tank in my 1971.. post in wanted parts pics and all included on that post

9. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

George, where did you find the tank? was it a direct fit replacement?

10. George Rosser

11. George Rosser

here they are

Attached Files:

12. Basstrix

Basstrix In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

George, the vent for the fill neck runs over near the sending unit and has a tab that's spot welded to the ceiling of the tank in that area. I'm curious if your tank guy went to the trouble of adding that brace.