New and helping my dad look into selling his 1973 Ranchero 500

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Center' started by Oldie McWighead, May 10, 2019.

1. Oldie McWighead

Oldie McWighead In First Gear

Hi all,

New to the forum, and posting for my dad. He is finally looking to sell his 1973 Ranchero 500 that he’s had since new, but he doesn’t know a reasonable asking price. Is there by chance already a thread that breaks things down by year/configurations/condition? I started to read through a number of the sales ads but admittedly just don’t have the familiarity with these to have any real basis for price.

It’s a California car and has been garage-kept for almost the entirety of its life. It is a 1973 Ranchero 500, 351 Cleveland, C4 trans, 2 barrel heads, split bench seat, 98k miles, original carpet and headliner. He did some changes like different intake and carb, but kept all the original parts. It was re-painted (not due to any damage, just to get rid of the mural that was painted on it when bought new from the Fillmore Ford dealer).

Any advice?

Thanks!

2. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

Hey!!! Hi!!

Welcome aboard! Well you are going to get asked so I'll get it out of the way ...... Need PICS.

Cheers,

Doc

Carl Steinbarger likes this.
  3. Oldie McWighead

For sure! He currently has it stored indoors at his now-retired place of business, so no current pictures but I'll request that he take some next time he gets down there. He was just trying to get an idea as he moves into retirement mode.

I am actually now unsure about the trans... per Wikipedia, "By comparison, the 351 Windsor and 351 Cleveland small and intermediate-block engines were backed by the medium-duty FMX or the heavy-duty C6 that debuted in 1966. Some C4s were built with a larger spread bell housing to use with 351M V8s, but these are rare. A few were also used with FE engines, mostly the 390. in full-size cars. Ratios are 2.46 low, 1.46 second and direct high."

So maybe it's a C6 trans? I could be wrong about the engine, or right about the engine and maybe that means it's a different transmission. I asked my dad if he can look for the original driver's side door pillar sticker which sounds like would tell us the trans. I checked the VIN and the 5th digit is "H" which per the decoder on this site means 351 V-8 164hp for 1973. I don't know if that's a Windsor or a Cleveland, but he has always said it's a Cleveland... been too many years now to remember how we came to that conclusion...

Thanks,
    Oldie

4. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

on the door jamb, drivers side will be a identification tag with numbers and letters, if you get those from there we can tell rear- motor ,trans ,interior trim EXTERIOR COLOR also
    on the door jamb, drivers side will be a identification tag with numbers and letters, if you get those from there we can tell rear- motor ,trans ,interior trim EXTERIOR COLOR also
    Welcome to you and your Dad , to the site,
    ANDY

5. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

On that tag, it'll say 'trans;' if the letter code is an 'X' then it's an FMX. If it has no problems when driven, leave it be. Otherwise, you can end up in a rat's nest attempting to solve any problems, short of a full rebuild.

6. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

Welcome... I recommend you go to the experts! Although Rancheros are popular with this group, they are not that popular elsewhere. You will receive a variety of opinions regarding value. Depending on condition, and all the other things I am sure you are aware of... it is worth whatever someone will pay for it. But if you want to try to determine the value of the car, not necessarily what it can sell for, then try this link. It will give you a ball park.

https://www.hagerty.com/valuationto...35035&ef_id=Wt9aWQAAAL1WqRA0:20190512054003:s

7. Oldie McWighead

Thanks guys.

PonyExpressRider: Yes definitely looking for more of ballpark as like you said, the reality is, it's worth what the market will bear.

I'm still waiting for the pictures and other info but will report back once I have it!

8. Oldie McWighead

Hi all,

Got some pictures back from my dad. Apologies as they are from 2007 (and are pictures of pictures!), but the car is still in the same condition so we felt they were representative. My dad has been so busy getting things cleared out for moving out of the house they've been in since 1979, and also clearing out old business-related documents, so pulling her out and getting current pictures hasn't been very feasible...anyway...

He did get a picture of the door plate, which I am having trouble finding a place to fully decipher. I did a bit of searching but was only able to piece a few things together with confidence. If someone is able point me to a place that has a complete listing, that would be great!

VIN Decode (complete)
    VIN: 3A47H179013

MODEL YEAR
    (LAST DIGIT)
    3 = 1973

ASSEMBLY PLANT CODE
    A = Atlanta, Georgia

MODEL CODE
    47 = Ranchero 500

ENGINE CODE
    H = 351 V-8 164 hp (1972-74)

Door Plate Decode (incomplete)
    Date: 01/73
    VIN: 3A47H179013
    Body: 97D = Ranchero 500
    Color: 6E = ???
    Trim: UF = ???
    Trans: W = ??? (not “X” so per above, not FMX)
    Axle: 6 = I think 3.00:1 rear axle gear ratio
    DSO: 71 = ???

Thanks!
    - Oldie

Attached Files:

andrewok1 likes this.
  9. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Still trying to come up with an asking price? I know a guy near St. Louis who might be interested, for the right price.

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.
  10. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

6E -BRIGHT YELLOW
    UF - Vynal bench?
    w= c-4

11. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

Yea, I know that guy to and he would only pay the asking price if he could set it and it was delivered. Nice looking Chero judging by the pictures of the pictures.

12. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Almost a twin as far as drive line to my 73 500 as built.Only 3600 off on serial#!Bought her 10 years ago from second owner for 2K. Same dso,sold in Antioch,Ca.Got 8-9K in now,never see return on resale.Clean her up as best as possible,put stock wheels/covers on,get all docs together and ask 8-9K OBO.Good luck with sale,home a member buys her.
    Only comparable ranchero I have found. https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/d/apple-valley-ford-ranchero-k-original/6879632271.html

13. Oldie McWighead

Thanks for your replies and information everyone! Sorry been so long to reply, been super busy. Pregnant wife, buying a motorhome, and now I am laid up on the couch after an ankle surgery. Been a busy last few months!

Thanks for the help, sounds like $10k-$12k is about the ceiling here then. It is definitely a super clean car, I remember helping him do a few dress-up type mods in high school. He's very particular that's for sure.