New fan from Europe / Germany - 1969 Ranchero

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Center' started by Logiko, Dec 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Logiko

Logiko In First Gear

Hello Ranchero group,
    my name is Petr and I am from Europe, now living Germany.
    I never thought about US-cars until last year. Don't know why but I decided that I need one. ;)
    It should be a V8 and somehow "unusual", at least for Germany.
    I have to admit that the El Camino was the first car I thought about. But then this Ranchero was offered to me and it was love at first sight.
    OK, I am facing one problem and that is a ripped off steering cylinder. Have no clue how that happend.
    But I ordered some spare parts, some tools and will try my best.
    The repairs are part of the fun, right?

So, thanks for the add.
    Petr

Attached Files:

HuevosRanchero likes this.
  2. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Very nice car Petr! You'll find that all old cars need some attention, but yes, that's part of the fun. Very interesting ramps too; built-in jacks?

3. Logiko

Logiko In First Gear

Yes. I tried them for the first time. And it really is a fast and easy way to have a look under the car and do some work there. You can lift the car quite high. Which looks a littble bit scary when on maximun, to be honest.
    But it seems very stable. Bettter then on jack stands only. Obviously you can't move the wheels/steering.
    Attached a picture of the ripped of steering cylinder and bracket.

Attached Files:

4. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Logiko likes this.
  5. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

You got it! That's a great attitude! And welcome to the family.

6. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Do you have the end that had broken off? If you do, it can be re-welded, or if you can find a usable one for low cost, just replace it. However, remember that these cars were assembled with non-metric tools. You may be able to find fractional inch tools in Great Britain, as a lot of their cars were not assembled in metric till the mid-or-late 1970s. Otherwise, Amazon will have 'SAE' sets of wrenches and sockets you can buy. So, willkommen in unserem Forum, and do not hesitate to ask any questions.

7. Logiko

Logiko In First Gear

No, I do not have the end. But I bought all I need, I would say. The end, the screws and nuts, the cylinder (second hand), this rubber part that protects the cylinder and one spare hose. One of the two was damaged.
    And... as you mentioned, some tools. :-D
    I hope I can do it without welding.

8. handy_andy_cv64

The problem you have, on that, is that the actual end is threaded. The weak point is right where the threads end at the piston, why you'd need welding done to reattach the piston. I'll see if I can come up with a drawing in my Motor manual. PSX_20191202_111020.jpg PSX_20191202_111108.jpg

Pic one shows a drawing of the piston unit, and you can see the end is threaded. Pic two I included for the control valve so that you have it for reference.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019 at 2:13 PM
  9. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Andy, the problem is usually that the slave cylinder to frame rail bracket get's hit on something or the nut-serts in the frame rail get ripped out. This problem existed from day one of the use of this design of power steering assist. Have seen brand new cars with the cylinder bracket damaged during shipping. Further damage was caused because the driver didn't know that the assist cylinder was free to bang into other components. Local dealers home built a reinforcing plate with nuts welded into it then welded that to the frame rail, then bolted the cylinder bracket to the new plate. More sturdy than nut-serts into the original frame rail. This steering system could tolerate a slight change of mounting angle for the cylinder to frame bracket due to the thicker bracket mount.

10. handy_andy_cv64

Right. But if you look at his pic, the threaded end is missing. In order to reattach it to a bracket, reinforced or not, that end has to be welded back on, or the piston or entire unit requires replacement. But your point is valid, it was a makeshift design that held on way too long, and would need to be built up.

11. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Overdrive

Welcome to the sight...

All those parts are available... Might want to get yourself a few Catalogs...

Dearborne Classic (Ecklers and Macs are part of the same company) ... https://www.dearbornclassics.com/catalogorder

National Parts Depot (NPD), CJPony are a couple that I used on my 69. NPD uses the same parts numbers as listed in the Build Diagrams. See below.

Many of the parts from Cougars, Mustangs, Torino's are all compatible. If you need build diagrams, those are also available, from Detroit Iron Information Systems. If you don't want your own set of disc's, I have a set and will be happy to share.

12. Saff54

Saff54 In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

13. Hillbilly

Yeah, I need new glasses. I would replace the cylinder in entirety as I would fear that welding heat might damage the internal seals.

14. handy_andy_cv64

What gets me is that Ford didn't design the cylinder to have a fastener screwed into the cylinder, thereby removing some of the weakness, and then making the bushing a little larger. Sometimes, I just shake my head at the "Whiz Kids."

15. Hillbilly

Well, they already had the lathe set up to do upper shock mounts so they ran with that to save a few coins per unit. Thank the bean counters for that weak link in the system. Even my little John Deere's add on power assist steering ram has a hefty Heim Joint in that position.

16. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

Yep, it always comes down to saving a few pennies. Remember, even then, cars were made to only have a finite life. Good enough to last the length of the loan, then time to trade it in on a sexy new model. That Honda Civic that you have in the driveway will become the next generation's "classic car."

17. Logiko

Logiko In First Gear

Thanks all for the warm welcome :)
    I am waiting for some tools and expect them on friday.
    Will try my best to replace the parts then. Hopefully the weather will be good enough because its getting cold and rainy/snowy.

18. Logiko

Logiko In First Gear

So, I replaced the cylinder, the bracket and one hose. Still have some open issues.
    - I used a bracket that is not original --> one of the hoses touches the edge of the bracket. I got an original bracket for a few € and will replace it. There should be more place then..
    - The second hose is damaged too. I did not recognize it before which is annoying. ;) Good that i purchased 4 liter of the Type F ATF. Seems I will need it. :-D
    - I still need a to weld the nuts into the frame. Right now the bracket is mounted with one screw to see whether the system is working overall or not. Which is and thats fine.

19. handy_andy_cv64

Das isn't ausgeseichnet! I'm glad to see that you are making progress! And, just so you know, those hoses lose their ability to hold pressure at about the same time, so replacing both is a necessity. I've repaired three units, and both hoses on each were either leaking or damaged.