new from ca, 1965 owner

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Center' started by handsomedevilart, Jun 2, 2015.

1. handsomedevilart

handsomedevilart In First Gear

well its even worse now than you could ever imagine , armpit hair braided is for high class but with each bead attached its like moving up a level, however,
    dread locked armpit hair , thats the peak!

2. RancheroRandy

RancheroRandy In Overdrive

Yikes....moved away from SC in '93 but go back almost each year....becomes more and more degraded each time. Sad, a lot of fun memories as a kid....especially watching the fireworks from the beach on 4th of July.

3. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

have to get togather on one of your trips

4. bethel03

bethel03 In First Gear

I am in So Cal and am working on a 64 with a 289 (originally 260 car). First time working on a Ford of this vintage. Since you have owned a few maybe you can help me. I noticed that the battery try and apron need replacing. I found this, it is for a mustang but have heard a lot of things are interchangeable, will this work?

5. handsomedevilart

handsomedevilart In First Gear

Ya know I'm not 100 percent sure it will but from what I've heard yes there are lots of parts that are the same , I would actually call them and see if they would be able to answer that for you

6. Bryan59EC

Bryan59EC In Overdrive

Apron is different for a Mustang-----waay longer than a Falcon.
    Not all that sure about the battery tray, I think a 64 tray in a Falcon is mounted along the apron,
    where a 65 is mounted along the core support.

As for retaining the battery---there should be a clamp on one end of the tray. but I
    have found it is not that common anymore to have the ribs on the battery that the clamp holds down, is not on the ends
    of the battery, but along the long edge.

The battery in my car----I have to come up with a traditional method of tying it to the tray.
    will have to make a top clamp for it.

7. bethel03

bethel03 In First Gear

Yes, the tray is mounted to the apron. I have found trays for the Falcon/Ranchero but no apron re-pops. Found some guys saying they took and modified a Mustang one to make it work. Guess it is time to improvise! Thanks for the tips!

8. Marty

Marty In Third Gear

Sorry I didn't get back to you quicker as I don't normally go to this forum when I am on the website and just decided to check it out tonight. I assume you have a 3 speed column shifter in your '65. I installed the Hurst shifter PN 5010002 which I bought from Summit. I called Hurst directly at (800) 544-4761 and they recommended the above PN. However this one is a universal unit and requires lots of rework to get it to fit. I attempted to install it several times and had to shave off several inches of the mount before it would fit. But I am very happy with the results and have had no problems with it since. I also bought the Hurst 'T' handle from Summit PN 1530020. The cost of the shifter was about $196 and the handle was $29. Since it has been awhile since you asked me you probably already have yours installed.

9. Sophie948

Sophie948 In Overdrive

I've got a '65 with a 289, daily driver. Great vehicle if you like to work on cars, and folks on these forums have been a great help to me in trying to figure things out. My immediate word to the wise is to take up the plate over the smuggler's box (at the front of the pickup bed) and inspect for rust, and keep the front cowl vents covered to keep crud and water out. If you're lucky (I'm not) the front cowl hasn't rusted through yet, but if it has it's too much work to fix for me to do myself.