New guy from NC

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Center' started by weavertwins12, Oct 11, 2018.

1. weavertwins12

weavertwins12 In First Gear

No plans to do anything with it now. Still trying to save up to finish the interior and do some more chrome work. The price for chroming is outrageous.

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

It is very expensive these days. Sometimes, it's less expensive just searching for trim someone's parting out, or scouring ePay for NOS pieces.

3. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Overdrive

How much is chrome, and how much is stainless?

Stainless is a pain, and can be very time consuming, but is something that you can do yourself! If you think Chrome is expensive, have your stainless professionally done! $$$$$$$$$$$$$

My 69, windshield, rear window, drip rails, and three pieces of the bed rail trim are all stainless. While Bumpers, grill, Front fender, Hood, and 4 pieces of the bed rail trim were Chrome. Yes, you can make your bed rail stainless shine like chrome!

4. weavertwins12

weavertwins12 In First Gear

Pretty much the same for my 71. Four pieces around the back window, bed caps beside the tailgate and taillight bezels. The estimate for the pieces in the picture was $1700 and from what I understand it is because the pot metal has so many impurities that the"dead" spots have to be ground out an filled.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Overdrive

Car clubs, like this site, have a lot of experience in them. I had a guy help me out with the stainless. Showed me how on a couple of pieces, then left me to finish the rest with some consulting for some special situations. Was very helpful, and free! Body work taken to a whole new level, with no bondo! o_O A guy who does stainless as a living, wanted $600 just to do the three pieces of the bedrails.

4 pieces on the rear window? Must be nice, mine has 8! Fortunately the rear doesn't get as dinged up as the front. So wasn't as bad to remove the dings that were there. Which made buffing and polishing all that much easier!

$1700 doesn't seem like that much. I believe my chrome work was pretty close to $1200, when all said and done. But the shop I was using for some of my work knew a guy who was taking it to Mexico. They did nice work, but the thickness of the chroming is pretty thin.

6. HVAC22

HVAC22 In Third Gear GOLD MEMBER

Absolutely beautiful! As my father, who turned 81 today, says about his girlfriend " She's easy on the eyes"