New guy from Oregon

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Center' started by Mark Wiggins, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Mark Wiggins

Mark Wiggins In Second Gear

Hello everyone, I am Mark from eastern Oregon. I am mostly an old engine guy, the hit & miss type. Yesterday I was at an auction and bought this beautiful 1977 Ranchero. The body is in great shape I think it will clean up nice. There were no keys so I am going to try Ford in the morning, if they can't help I guess I have to drill the old one out.
    Thanks
    Mark
    Well I can't upload the pictures they are too big, I already cropped them, I will take better ones tomorrow.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    Ford79 and andrewok1 like this.
  2. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER GOLD MEMBER

A REGULAR LOCKSMITH , can handle it make sure they have the old car knowledge,
    Welcome to the site ==ANDY

3. Mark Wiggins

Thanks the closest locksmith is 45 minutes away, a friend told me that the door key is the same and that I could bring that to them.
    Mark

andrewok1 likes this.
  4. andrewok1

that is correct door lock being the same . you got a smart friend

Mark Wiggins likes this.
  5. andrewok1

i like the old one lungers, steam engines / just a few from a show last year IMG_7463.JPG IMG_7466.JPG IMG_7469.JPG IMG_7450.JPG

Mark Wiggins likes this.
  6. Mark Wiggins

Nice my biggest engine is a Fairbanks Morse 36 hp I think I have about 20 engines right now.

7. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

That is so cool. I'm familiar with Fairbanks-Morse, as I'm a railfan and model railroader, and have studied mining and logging here in the PNW, where FM and other manufacturer's single-lungers were used in various ways in those operations.

Mark Wiggins likes this.
  8. Mark Wiggins

I got the Ranchero home today. I drilled out the key and ordered a new one. Got the engine to fire with some gas poured into the carb, it sounded pretty good for sitting for 10 years. Not getting fuel the carb going to check out the fuel pump tomorrow.
    Mark

9. handy_andy_cv64

Also, before you pull the pump, just put a few gallons of fresh gas in the tank, regardless of if the gauge reads any gas in it. I've had several customers tow their cars in for not starting, only to find out the gause said there was gas...but there really wasn't.

Mark Wiggins likes this.
  10. Mark Wiggins

Thanks I pulled the line at the tank and had fuel there, haven't checked it at the pump yet but I will before I pull the pump.
    Mark

11. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Don't forget the fuel filter.
    There may be a stone one at the carb inlet.

Mark Wiggins likes this.
  12. Garbageman

Garbageman In Overdrive

Welcome to the site.

Mark Wiggins likes this.
  13. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Overdrive

Welcome Mark... welcome to the site. I think you have officially given us enough owners in Oregon to warrant a gathering!
    Might even get a few from Washington down here. :)

Depending on your intentions, Dearborne Classics should have most of the parts for your 77. Also, don't forget to look for crossover parts from Cougars and Torino's. National Parts Depot will be handy for some of that. What makes them handy is that their parts numbers will cross to Ford part numbers.

14. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Welcome aboard. If you like hit and miss motors, you're right at home with these old Rancheros!

Mark Wiggins likes this.
  15. Mark Wiggins

Thanks
    Right now I plan on cleaning it up and driving it! Been a Ford guy my whole life always pickups. In June we have an engine show in Pendleton Oregon. There are always cars, trucks and tractors there and we feed you lunch and dinner. Everyone is welcome and can show whatever they have. There is also a car show the same weekend in Pendleton. So come on over.
    The main thing I need to find is the front turn signal lenses and from what I see they aren't cheap if you can find them. When I figure out how to post pictures I will.
    Thanks to everyone for the welcome.
    Mark

16. handy_andy_cv64

Yeah, Unobtainium prices. I've had one, sold it for $50 because I dropped it 7' to a concrete floor.

Mark Wiggins likes this.
  17. handy_andy_cv64

I do have a few other inside and outside trim parts I've been meaning to list also; anything else you're looking for? If so, just PM me.

Mark Wiggins likes this.
  18. Mark Wiggins

Thanks I will need some trim and the ranchero side emblems. Right now I want to concentrate on the mechanical issues. Swapped the fuel pump out today and it seems to run pretty good.

19. handy_andy_cv64

Good to hear that it's running. I don't have the badges, but I have the headlight bezels, a spare grille (one crack at the bottom), the front bumper trim panels (the metal one needs bead blasting for rust, one plastic one needs reshaping), both taillights as a set, front bumper overriders, and the Holy Grail dash clock for the Cheros with the standard instrument panel, the quartz movement one with day/month. It works, and keeps fairly good time.

Mark Wiggins likes this.
  20. handy_andy_cv64

There'll be a few other parts in the coming year as I do other projects (including replacing the passenger door)

Mark Wiggins likes this.