New Guy: New to me 77 Ranchero

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Center' started by Doc76251, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

Hey all just wanted to stop in and introduce myself, actually my new "mistress". She's long and lean with curves in all the right places, a throaty rumbly voice, black as night and only 42 years old. I was fortunate enough to get her about 1/2 - 3/4's the way I want her to end up, 351W, World Jr cast P&P Heads, Comp Cams 260 H cam, Edelbrock Performer Intake, FMX trany and a 3.73 limited slip rear end as well as a fresh coat of black paint and new shoes. At one time she belonged to "bseberle" on this forum but was blue (I'd love to talk with him if anyone knows him).

I've been a car guy since my teens and my youngest caused me to get bitten by the car bug again when he blew up his Subaru motor and we swapped it in one weekend. My first car was a 77 T-Bird so "Midnight" feels like home

My big problem is that I haven't worked on a Holley carb in 35 years and I think she is missing a bit out of the gate along with the occasional "Pop & Puff" when getting on her. I'll be looking for a bit of guidance and offering help when I can. If anyone has a spare 77-79 T-Bird with a red interior laying around I'm in the market!!

Cheers,
    Doc

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

"What's up, doc?" Had to get that out of the way.......

Welcome to the forum. Midnight sounds like a healthy sort, healthier than Babe is, but we got enough guys to assist you. If you find a T-bird for parts, you should do a front clip swap.

3. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Welcome!
    Before you dig into the carb, look at your timing.
    With that setup you don't want to be running factory timing settings, you need more initial advance.

4. Saff54

Saff54 In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Welcome to the site doc,best forum for Chero owners!

5. Saff54

Saff54 In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Pics please!

6. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

Since you asked so nicely.........
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheers,
    Doc

krehmkej and andrewok1 like this.
  7. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

Ribald1, I had a feeling the timing wasn't right, do you have any suggestions as to how much initial timing to put into it? OBTW It also has an MSD 6A ignition and MSD Billet distro, I ASSuMe with stock silver springs haven't popped the top on it yet.

Cheers,
    Doc

8. ribald1

I recommend that you remove the springs, retard the timing a bit, start it up, and with a light set the total timing at 36-38, lock it down, put the springs back on, note where the timing is, and use that number going forward.
    Don't forget to disconnect and cap the vacuum advance first.
    Your timing will likely end up at 12-18 BTDC.
    That becomes the starting point for tuning the engine. Next steps involve the carb and setting the advance curve.
    Once the carb is tuned, curve can be selected, and, if you want, you can move to an aggressive tune to pull in even more power.

9. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER GOLD MEMBER

WELCOME to the site

10. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

Ribald1,
    "
    I recommend that you remove the springs, retard the timing a bit, start it up, and with a light set the total timing at 36-38, lock it down, put the springs back on, note where the timing is, and use that number going forward.
    Don't forget to disconnect and cap the vacuum advance first.
    Your timing will likely end up at 12-18 BTDC.
    That becomes the starting point for tuning the engine. Next steps involve the carb and setting the advance curve.
    Once the carb is tuned, curve can be selected, and, if you want, you can move to an aggressive tune to pull in even more power.
    "
    I think I'm going to need a dictionary, encyclopedia and Google to figure out what you just said. I haven't wrenched on a carbed car in 35 years The car runs like a raped ape at over 2000 rmp, it's stupid fast on the highway but lags coming out of the gate with the occasional "pop" and "poof" from the carb when blipping the throttle. My removing springs and twist things factor is a bit low at this stage of the game especially with the exhaust in its current condition. I was thinking about leaving things as they are, pinching off the vacuum to see where I am in initial timing and bumping it a bit till it rattles then going back half and tweeking it from there. Those 3.73 gears are made for long legs and I am good with that but I should be able to light the tires at the gate if I want to with this combo. Thoughts please, I do respect your knowledge but I am a bit lacking on the tribal knowledge at this time.

Cheers,
    Doc

11. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

Handy Andy,
    Why would I do a front clip swap with a T-Bird?

Oh CV -64 in my world is the USS Constellation, I was CV-66, SSN-704, SSN-724 etc.

Cheers,

Doc

12. handy_andy_cv64

Because, Doc, why not? I'm eventually going to do a Cougar front end swap, and there's another member who swapped on a Montego front end. I didn't believe it till I saw it.

And yeah, CV64 in my world was Connie; she's been broken since late last year, IIRC, and except for Enterprise and America, all of the original supercarriers are either getting broken now, or are already gone. But what gets me is how you went from a flattop to bubble machines--care to enlighten me?

13. ribald1

If you change your mind, I can break it down for you.
    I recognize that it is going lean at tip in, but that can be caused by retarded timing creating a low vacuum condition when you open the throttle.
    Unless the carb is too big or has been altered, tip in problems are usually timing or accelerator pump.

14. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

Wellll its a long story,.....I was supposed to be a Sub FT and go in after my senior summer, yeah that lasted about 5 days with wayyyyy too much time on my hands. So I said screw it I want in NOW. The best they could do is a Submarine Deck Seaman or "Subfarer Program". So for my 18th birthday I got to drive another long sleek, black, curvy wench the SSN-704, 20 mos later I struck Corpsman, hence the "Doc" moniker. So there was Corps School, OR School, time at Portsmouth Naval and an invasion of Panama and the good detailer said "Son, you need to go to sea, you want an aircraft carrier, an aircraft carrier or an aircraft carrier?" Me"Marines?" Him "Nope." Me: "SPECWAR, I know this guy.....?" Him: "Nope." Me:"Can I have Norfolk? (Just got married.) Him: "That I can do." So I went to CV-66, just in time for Desert Storm where I was shanghied by the U.S.M.C. and did the invasion of Kuwait on the ground. The Marines went home in March, I got a plane ride to the boat and got home at the end of May. Fast forward a few years and a lot of deployments I went to IDC School and off to the good ship SSN-724 where I extended for a year and ended up doing a war cruse on her and launched a Tomahawk for the opening of OIF. I know what you mean about watching your old ships go by, I saw the CV-66 get towed into NNSY as well as the SSN-704 from my view at Naval Hospital, I honestly cried when they went by.

Cheers,
    Doc

15. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

I would very much like you to break it down, I have played with the timing a bit by ear and got the pop and poof to go away but there is this "step" at 1500 rpm and the car now "bangs" into reverse or drive. I think I am missing a kick down linkage. If I try to rev the engine while standing on the brake it will shift to 2nd gear. The throttle response is "Gasp and then GO" I'm afeered I have multiple issues from too many cooks in the kitchen.

Cheers & Thanks
    Doc

16. ribald1

OK Try this;
    Disconnect and plug the vacuum advance. Do not hook it back up until the engine is running right.
    Set the timing to 12BTDC
    Turn the engine off
    Take the air cleaner off and move the throttle slightly while watching down the holes (choke open) gas should start to squirt the moment the throttle starts to move, if it doesn't, adjust it.
    Put a vacuum gauge on it, and adjust the air fuel screws for highest vacuum. Start by carefully turning the screws in until they stop, DON"T TURN THEM HARD, then backing out 1-1/2 turns each. When you turn one, the other needs to be turned the same amount.
    Get back with results.

17. handy_andy_cv64

"Gasp and GO," sounds like a really expensive 'convenience' store....

Ain't detailers fun? Yeah, I could only get into the Navy in three months by striking Aviation (I wanted a flattop anyway...), but once i finally got to boot camp, I was offered the EPICS program, to rate as FC for the Nato Seasparrow SMS. OK, what the hell, doing so netted me three weeks' leave out of boot camp, I went for it. The only disappointment was that Nimitz was not on the list of ships with billets to fill; my hometown was Bremerton, and I knew Nimitz was heading there in '86 or '87. Well, I had watched Connie roll in to Dyes Inlet and PSNS when I was in high school (Like, '81?), so I chose her, and I never regretted it. She will always be my ship, and I hope the Navy Department tells the Congress to butt out when the newest nuclear carriers get named, as Constellation and Enterprise had better get their names on two of those hulls. AND NO MORE NAMING ANY SHIPS AFTER LIVE PEOPLE, OK? The United States Navy sails on vast jellied seas of tradition!!!!

18. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Welcome Doc!Looks good murdered out,maybe do a front bumper tuck.

19. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

ribald1,
    I will do as you suggest just as soon as I can lay hands on a timing light and it stops raining and or I get home before 8PM (last 10 days of a $4M project). Couple points of clarification.
    I'm thinking I have to turn the car back on to see if fuel squirts after taking off the air cleaner.
    Where prezactly do I adjust the throttle at? I know where the idle screw is and there is another spring held (red spring) screw on the front of the carb, is that it?
    Do I reconnect the vacuum line and then plug into another manifold port for the the idle speed settings?
    Thank you in advance

Cheers,
    Doc

20. ribald1

Doc
    Yes, you have to start the car. Turn it off. Them check. The accelerator pump adjustment is in the linkage post a photo and I can lay out the process.
    The air/fuel screws are on each side of the carb, low. Look up a picture of your carb on the net that has the parts labeled.
    Leave the vacuum advance disconnected and plugged until you are COMPLETELY done tuning, even if that isn't for 3 months. All it does is improve fuel economy on the freeway (when operating properly). However, it can through you off, especially if connected to manifold vacuum, when troubleshooting.