New Guy: New to me 77 Ranchero

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Center' started by Doc76251, Sep 17, 2018.

1. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I've been happy with Edelbrock carbs. Had them on my last three performance builds. Seemed like I was always adjusting the Holley's.

Hot Rod compared a bunch of carbs years ago, and here's the 'out of the box' results. The 'tuned' ones were similar.
    Carburetor/ HP
    Quick Fuel Slayer / 401
    Q-jet / 397
    Edelbrock / 397
    Holley 3310 Reman. / 392
    Summit / 386
    Holley 3310C / 382
    Swap Meet 3310 Holley / 358

ForistellFord likes this.
  2. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

The Quick Fuel is a Holley carb, just pre-equipped with the modifications most serious tuners do to Holley carbs.
    You can put Quick Fuel parts on a Holley with no modifications and vice versa.
    Also, peak HP readings on a dyno tell you nothing about drivability, a Flying Toilet will generate impressive HP but sucks for around town driving.

3. TestDummy

Which one of your cars is called the Flying Toilet?

4. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Gotta be that old Econoline.

TestDummy likes this.
  5. TestDummy

Probably. That statement HAS to be backed up with experience.

6. ForistellFord

Well, it's so comfy it's like driving your house around. And there are usually toilets in people's houses (except maybe outhouse lovin' Virginia). So it seems to make sense.

TestDummy likes this.
  7. TestDummy

Here is a parking area of all these high horsepower flying toilets (ironically, all in the Bay area). I can't confirm if that is Rubby, but I also can't deny it.
    [​IMG]

8. ForistellFord

Odd solution to their homeless pooping problems. Or perhaps the cause instead.

TestDummy likes this.
  9. ribald1

I don't name performance parts.
    Nor do I expect desk or computer jockeys to even be aware of them, much less their names.
    Go to the companies website and ridicule them.
    The Flying Toilet has a long pedigree in racing that people who only see the outside of a race car will never know about.
    Grab a wrench and give it a try someday. Righty tighty, lefty loosy will get you started, before long it will all make sense.

10. ForistellFord

11. TestDummy

Hahahaha. Your post makes more sense.

12. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

Well I think I'm gaining on it, flying toilets notwithstanding {grin}. Got at the fast Idle screw and by best guess pulled 3 turns out of it before it got loose in the saddle. Kicked it over an she idles at about 1500 rpm which according to Holley is about right. Played with a few other things but it is all night work so I'm pretty much chasing shadows. The idle seems to stay a bit high and when I shift into drive it dives to 500 and bounces back to 800 and runs lumpy (I don't have that much cam). I will let her cool down and go at it again tomorrow where I can try all the other bits. I also noticed that the elect. choke was dialed back to the left from factory center. I may zero it up prior to lighting it off tomorrow.

The major bonus discovered so far is that the gasp and go step is GONE!!!!! She goes from idle to HIT IT with nary a hesitation. I know its out of adjustment but you know I had to nail it once or twice :)

That said, in the section of mirror that I sanded and then shot with a bit more paint it is also smoothing out. Paint is more of a bitch than carbs.

Cheers,

Doc

TestDummy likes this.
  13. ribald1

If you have an auto tranny, set the idle to 650-750 (the lower the better) with it in drive, the brake on and the wheels chocked. I do the air/fuel setting in the same condition.
    Also, refrain from revving the engine. Especially if in front of the car.

14. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

Ribald, not quite there yet. Add to that I just locked the keys in the car. Delays, delays delays.......

Cheers,

Doc

15. ribald1

A Slim Jim will get you in in minutes. Seconds if you have practice.
    They are easy to make.

16. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

Had a fish tape and went in from the other side. I think I am on to something. I got to idle at about 1000 rpm and when I drop it in gear its about 500 then comes up to 800. That said it sounds like I have a monster cam in it..... I'm going to let it rest and come at it tomorrow. It starts easy but will still backfire out the carb when blipping the throttle which is that much more exciting at night when it catches fire. In drive it is at about 650 ish then bounces back to 1k in park. I know the exhaust sux and its been a while but for a 260H comp cams grind the thing sounds like a nitro funny car. That said I am much happier with the throttle response and that it actually measurably changes when I do stuff to it. I will see how the cold start goes tomorrow now that I have a handle on the high idle setting. One thing at a time.......

Cheers,

Doc

17. ribald1

Check that when !!engine off!! looking into the carb with the choke open, the accel pump gives a squirt the instant the throttle is moved. If not, it needs adjustment.

18. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

I haven't even got to the accel pump yet. I had it adjusted before so that if you breathed hard on the throttle it would open, not thinking it should have changed but I will check it again. Right now I think my timing is way off, the air fuel is wrong and I'm not sure about the fast idle but it is much better. I also zeroed the choke out. When I go back at it the choke and fast idle will be tell tails, I'm going to leave the choke at "zero" and see what kind of revs I get tomorrow when she is cold. Hoping for about 1500 rpm at 55 +/- degrees at first fire. If that checks out I can re-evaluate my timing, idle and fuel/air as well as check the accel pump. I go it close tonight so that it runs and idles but there is a bit I am missing, each adjustment affects the others, much better than before.

Cheers,

Doc

19. ribald1

Yup, many settings are intertwined with others.
    Dial the idle down below 800 and set the timing with the vacuum advance off and plugged. 10-12 degrees advanced is a good starting point.

20. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

I'm really surprised this thing drove with the previous adjustments.