New guy

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Center' started by Forrest, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Forrest

Forrest In Second Gear

Hey everyone, new guy to the ranchero club over here, but not to New the the old ford club. My first ford was my first car which happened to be a 1976 bronco ranger. She was rough but over all a decent start. Me and my ol man tore it down and replaced or at least touched everything. She turned out pretty slick. We did the same to his 69 and unfortunately sold both of them years ago. Now that they are very popular and financially out of reach I decided it was time to get into another old school type vehicle.

I found a nice 1973 GT out here in Colorado. She runs good and sounds great. Has a neat old paint job on it. There are a few things that don’t work like the AC, Heat, window squirters and I’m sure some other stuff lol. But over all doesnt have any rust and the body is straight.

So far I have replaced the spark plugs, which had a tad of oil on them so it might be time for a head gasket already.. added an insulator under the 1406 carb. Next mod will be address the oil on the plugs and add a hood scoop so I can shut the hood again.

‍♂️

I’ll upload pics once I can figure out the sizing, any ways I hope to gain some knowledge here!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  2. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Welcome! Like you, I also had broncos in the past....kick myself for selling the last one I had.

3. Forrest

Forrest In Second Gear

Yeah and the half cabs are even more rare. I guess me and my ol man will stick to a Chero’s

4. Basstrix

haha...guess what the one I regret selling was? haha...

5. Forrest

Forrest In Second Gear

I’m on to you haha oh well these seem to haul my Harley’s easier anywho

6. Basstrix

It was a half cab...sold it for $4500 back in about 98. 100% rust free...was never even cut for a radio. Oh well.

Other than with a trailer, I can't see loading a Harley into a bronco.

Forrest likes this.
  7. Forrest

Forrest In Second Gear

Exactly!!

8. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Welcome to the site! I'm a fan of the fullsized Broncos myself, but I just saw a half-cab last week in the pouring rain, couldn't get a pic of it, but yeah, regrets all around.

So, you have oil fouling? I would do a compression leakdown test first. The likelihood of more than one plug oil-fouled because of a head gasket is too small. I would wager the rings, the valve stem seals, or both are shot. With the fresh plugs, are you getting blue smoke on start-up?

9. Forrest

Forrest In Second Gear

Yeah I was afraid of that, it does smoke a little but not a lot, the idle is irradic sometimes upon starting, up and down but then will be fine after it warms up, no smoking when hot and when I let it sit for a couple weeks after driving it that’s when I noticed the oil on mostly the threads and not so much as the tip of the plug itself. But it’s quit cold right now outside so it might be more of a summer type project or at least when the snow melts...

I’m sure a compression test would tell me right away..

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  10. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER GOLD MEMBER

welcome to the site ,seems like your a shoe in on the Ford Ranchero -ANDY

Forrest likes this.
  11. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Third Gear

Welcome!! I too am a long time Ford guy finally back in the heavy metal ford game. Lots of good info here from some great minds and great experience. Internet diagnosis is fraught with opinion and BS but when someone says "I'd take a look at...." and you haven't, it is worth a shot, damned if they aren't right quite often. My latest kernel of knowledge came via tranny fluid in my vacuum lines which has caused all manner of issues including variable idle and white smoke from the breather, you might want to take a look at that when checking for vacuum leaks, just say'n.

Cheers,

Doc

12. Forrest

Forrest In Second Gear

What the heck is it doing there?? Thanks for the good info I’ll take a peak at it. ..

13. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Welcome Forrest!Nice choice of ranchero.Little biased.Compression should be around 150psi,H code 2V.More important that all within 5%.

14. Forrest

Forrest In Second Gear

Thanks!! I really was looking for a 69 or 70 but sometimes things fall into place for a reason, and I think when I’m done with it it’ll be pretty neat for me and my lady to cruise around in.

15. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Ha!I was looking for 57 or 67,found a clean 73 I couldnt pass on.Great crucks,no regrets.

16. handy_andy_cv64

Compression just tells you compression pressure. Compression leakdown will indicate which is worn, the valves, the rings or the head gasket. With what you confirmed, that the engine smokes on startup, you might just only need valve stem seals, just to slow the oil loss, and then a valve cover gasket or two. These old engines are just leakers when it comes to oil.

17. handy_andy_cv64

Of course, you could spring for a reman engine. That's what my Ranchero, Babe, has, a 34K mile 351W, and after correcting a couple leaks and a few improvements, she doesn't leaka drop, and definitely doesn't smoke.

18. Forrest

Forrest In Second Gear

1AEDC995-AD75-434B-8BC5-F161903B016C.jpeg I finally figured out how to get a photo up

HVAC22 likes this.
  19. Forrest

Forrest In Second Gear

63CB8967-433D-4E00-A2F2-52A39989FBE4.jpeg EB1B422F-7C2A-4432-986D-47438040C9AC.jpeg

LSChero likes this.
  20. Forrest

Forrest In Second Gear

Thanks for the help, I’m used to oil leaking engines coming from an old Harley guy haha