New Look!!

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by As Is '66, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Dads79

Dads79 In Second Gear

I like it!

2. Mike

Mike In Overdrive

Bug update:
    Yesterday I reported a editor bug where copy/cut and paste stopped working.

While composing the previous reply with the editor at the bottom of the screen (don't know what XenForo calls it as it's not labeled), I clicked the More Options button to go to the other editor. At one point I needed to review the messages in the title (XenForo doesn't have a title preview) and saved my work in the clipboard. I went back to the messages and because a draft was saved, the text was preloaded into the bottom editor. I clicked inside the editor to activate and I was no longer able to delete text.

I found two ways to get around the editor bug. The first way is to add text to the preload and then the delete key works again. The second way is click the More Options button and in the other editor the delete key worked immediately without adding text.

While composing this reply, copy/paste stopped working in the editor at the bottom of the screen. Switching to the More Options editor temporarily fixed the issue because it stopped working, but started working again. However, cursor movement has become erratic. It seems you can't scroll down to the bottom of the text in the editor and then move to the right without the cursor jumping all the way back to the top. Also, delete doesn't always work when removing blank lines.

A couple of things I miss:
    Multi-quote option.
    Being able to review the thread while in the "More Options" editor.
    Threads called Threads. :)
    Seeing the BBcode in the editor.
    Switching to the BBcode editor and having the same buttons options available as the WYSIWYG editor.
    Posts called posts. :)
    Adjusting the amount of messages per page.
    Displaying the number of pages under titles. ---- Edit: Only visible when mouse is over title.

Copying and immediately pasting the above short lines will add unnecessary spaces between each line. Apparently the editor interprets lines together like that to always be paragraphs. That's one of the reasons why WYSIWYG editors often suck.

Before anyone says anything about it being too soon, I am fully aware of this. I'm not saying these things to be mean or prove that I can be impatient. I'm sure things will improve over time and I'm certainly not expecting all or any of them to ever be fixed/included. If you didn't know before, finding bugs and inconsistencies in software was what I did for a living before retiring from the software biz. I guess I have a knack for these type of things. :D

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  3. Rancherous

Rancherous Administrator Staff Member

Mike I am far from a coder, computer person and much of this is Chinese to me. I am still trying to find a template, font and thread separation that appeals to most users. The last template seemed to all blend together. A lot of members here need/asked for a bright readable site to browse with separation they can see between threads. We did the file transfer and went straight online as the vBulletin no longer worked, so we were stuck basically making changes while up and running. I much rather would have worked on the site and then took this more complete online. A lot has changed since the last board in the software world, I am lagging far behind.

4. Mike

Mike In Overdrive

No worries. It's all cool. Like I said I don't expect anything. The site is already looking better with the dark lines separating the messages. It's just that my eyesight isn't as bad as apparently others and I have to squint to look at the forum. I don't know if XenForo allows users to select from different styles in preferences (currently no option exists), but as time permits I would be more then happy to assist in setting up a darker style. This way users can pick which one they want to use. As far as pre-made styles, I will do some searching and see what I can find.

5. Mike

Mike In Overdrive

Here are a couple darker styles. I don't know anything about these other then they seem to visually fit with what I had in mind. In no particular order:

Blackend v1.3.0
    This template can be found here. This template supports v1.2, don't know about v1.3. A demo of the forum can be found here.

Flexile Dark 1.3.1.0
    This template can be found here. This template supports v1.2 and v1.3. There is no demo, but it's previous incarnation was the highest rated and most downloaded style.

Other darker styles can be found here.

Hope this helps.

6. As Is '66

As Is '66 2 Wheeled Mod Staff Member

There are a lot of new items to explore, I`m glad YOU got the jobb of sorting them out Billy...
    YES Job CAN BE a 4 letter word!!!!
    Thank you,
    Dennis & Ann

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  7. Rancherous

Background White has been dimmed, post count, and locations added to profile.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  8. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Bill thanks for adding location I kinda like Flexile Dark look its easeir on the eyes

9. Rancherous

Carl,
    Problem with darker formats in my opinion is when you copy and paste from the web or link you will have to change and edit the font for it to appear in a post. I thought about a black background and white font but had some complaints about that, also I am on a couple other forums with the dark appearance and see a lot of complaints about using it on a mobile device and copy and pasting links/text from the web.

10. 5.0 Chero

Billy
    thats cool not a problem but I played with the blackend demo and did not have a problem with copy and paste
    demo is log in name and demo123 is password if you want to play a little

11. Rancherous

Carl we have other issues right now with our mail and server. I will definitely look into it down the road.

12. Mike

Mike In Overdrive

The forum background color isn't necessarily the problem. As I understand it, the problem with pasting text from the web that happens to include special color(s), font size and/or link formatting -- happens because of the WYSIWYG editor. That's one of the most frustrating things about these types of editors, because they preserve all that unnecessary special formatting when you paste. You could fight the editor, but that can be a losing battle. You could paste the text in a separate editor, copy that text back into the clipboard and paste into the WYSIWYG editor. That strips all the special formatting. Or, you can give up, which is the easiest. Although, paste too much from difference web sources in one message and it can start to look like one of those ransom letters where each word was cut out of different magazines. :eek:

A similar thing happened when I was composing the above message with the dark style links. I typed the style title, then highlighted the text and clicked the bold and underline shortcut buttons. When I began to type on the next line it inherited the bold and underline. I removed everything and tried again with the same results. So, I switched to the standard BBcode editor and removed the BBcode formatting. However, as soon as I switched back to the WYSIWYG editor and began to type, the editor put back the formatting. I finished composing the reply in the standard BBcode editor without further problems.

All the issues I've previously described with copy, cut, paste, losing the ability to use the delete and insert keys, cursor movement or lack thereof, removing blank lines, misinterpreting the need for paragraphs -- has all taken place using the WYSIWYG editor. Including the new one I found today that locks you out from typing because you happened to switch from the Quick reply at the bottom of the messages to the WYSIWYG editor, to the standard BBcode editor and back to the WYSIWYG editor too many times. I'm guessing, but I think it gets confused and seizes.

Personally, I would much prefer to use the standard BBcode editor all the time. I know the setting can be made in the User Preferences by removing the check from "Use the rich text editor to create and edit messages". That creates three minor problems.

The first minor problem is that the "Use Rich Text Editor" link usually located lower left of the standard BBcode editor no longer exists preventing you from switching editors should the need arise. The second minor problem is that the editor's window height can't be made taller. The third minor problem is that the standard BBcode editor doesn't have any BBcode shortcut buttons. They only exist in the WYSIWYG editor. And, even-though I have many of them memorized, there's no question that the BBcode shortcut buttons are convenient. And, because of minor problem number one, you can't temporarily switch editors to use those buttons.

On a more important note; thank you for dimming down the background brightness and adding some statistics under user names. I could swear I saw multi-quote links. Maybe they didn't work and were removed. Regardless, thank you for trying.

BTW, I've seen many websites try to make their pages smart phone friendly and they look awful. As I mentioned before, IMO the best solution is style choice. This would allow a user to pick a default style in User Preferences that is pleasing to them. This way the people on smart phones can have a bland 2D style that would burn the phosphorus off a CRT, while at the same time allow others to have a pleasing and easy going 3D darker style that doesn't cause migraines.

Anyway, that's my 2ยข.

Edit: While composing the above I didn't see Billy's most recent message. I don't want this post to be misunderstood and give the impression I was being insensitive to current issues.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  13. 5.0 Chero

• I want it now!!!!!!!!!!:mad: your doing great Bill and I know you spendin a lot of time on it.

14. eqshadimar

eqshadimar In Overdrive

I like the new forum look but it appears to me that the search function is only working on new posts and has not yet indexed all the old posts yet. Is that correct or is it just me?

Laters,
    Jeff

15. Rancherous

Search Updated and info from old board added, 210,000 searchable threads. Thanks for the heads up ;)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  16. Rancherous

Production Numbers added.

17. Rancherous

Thread page rollovers edited

18. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Looking great!

19. Rancherous

Profiles area shaded, Google Maps if you click on someones location. Please add your location to profile if not entered. Thanks

20. 5.0 Chero

slow down bill take a break.................

HuevosRanchero likes this.