New lug nuts

Discussion in 'Ranchero Pics' started by beerbelly, May 12, 2021.

1. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

As many probably know, the small Ford bolt circle doesn't allow you to get a 13/16" socket on the Torq Thrust D lugs with the center cap is on; no clearance. Pain in the a$$ if you're changing a tire on a dark, rainy Oregon night and have to take off the center cap with a tiny allen key before you can get to the lug nuts.
    I decided to try these internal-socket nuts, so clearance is a non-issue. There are other options, like splined "tuner" lugs, and maybe 3/4" nuts, but I'll give these a shot for now. Also, I ordered a set of spun aluminum flat center caps; I'm not a big fan of the "chrome 8 ball" look of the stock ones.

Before:
    20210512_104628.jpg

After:
    20210512_104104.jpg 20210512_112507.jpg 8f756a0c01a9d03e2e3f1bac54f444b4.jpg

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    Saff54 and Jeff B like this.
  2. Kiwirancher

Kiwirancher In Third Gear

Hi BB , I had the same problem ( not in the middle of a cold rainy night) . I carefully filed a piece out of the caps in line with each nut so a socket or wheelbrace would fit then polished them. Works and looks ok too. I like the look of those flat alloy ones , opens up lots of options for custom writing , stickers on them !
    Denis.

3. beerbelly

Denis, I considered that, but decided not to in case I want to sell the caps on Craigslist or ebay. I also found that Scott Drake makes flat center caps with lug wrench notches, but with all the scallops and beveled edges, they looked too "frilly" to me, like snow flakes.

I think with the flat center caps I ordered and these lug nuts, it might look pretty racy.

wc73-v.jpg

andrewok1 likes this.
  4. RancheroRandy

RancheroRandy In Overdrive

I like those lugs and didn't know they made such things. Where'd you purchase those? I also filed reliefs on mine after cracking 2... :mad:

5. beerbelly

6. Kiwirancher

Kiwirancher In Third Gear

Quite like the look of them. If I hadn’t filed my caps I would buy some. Maybe if I ever change the caps.
    Denis.

7. DJ Clinton

DJ Clinton In Third Gear GOLD MEMBER

I went with the splined lugnuts[plated red to match the car]. I do like the looks of the internal lug nuts & the flat center caps.

8. beerbelly

As it turns out Randy, I can't recommend these after installing them. The key they sent isn't what appears to be a black oxide hardened key as shown in their listing, but a cheaply plated one made of a soft metal. The corners have started rounding off after the initial installation, and I have no faith in future use. I'm currently in negotiations for a refund or an ebay claim.

20210514_093617_Burst08.jpg 20210514_093913.jpg 20210514_093929.jpg

9. RancheroRandy

RancheroRandy In Overdrive

I'll get on my soapbox: more China crap! :(

Hillbilly likes this.
  10. beerbelly

I filed a claim with ebay, took them off, put my McGards back on, and ordered these Gorilla small diameter splined nuts & locks:

Gorilla lugs & locks.jpg

11. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Thought I was slick by using those splined lug nuts on the wife's Roadmaster wagon. Theft protection ? Fat chance ! I learned that they nearly all have the same spline pattern after some punk loosened the lugs on a front wheel while we were in a restaurant. Wheel ran off and I ran over it damaging a front fender. Not a sound or shake until "BAM" and the car hit the pavement. Got my Cousin's Jeep and a guy's Ford truck the same night. During the repair I tore open about ten packs of new splined nuts at the local NAPA and discovered they all had the same splines. Live and learn.

12. beerbelly

Oh GREAT! More returns:mad:.
    I may have found a solution that allows me to keep my McGard lugs & locks; an extra-thin impact socket with a removable plastic protector sleeve. The reviews I've read say it allows you to get past the center cap by removing the sleeve:

Screen Shot 2021-05-15 at 3.17.12 PM.png

13. beerbelly

So finally I got it worked out- small diameter splined lug nuts & key from Gorilla, and a different set of flat center caps from Dashman.com
    The seller of the original caps I wanted (ID Your Ride) hadn't shipped them after 6 weeks, so I got a refund and bought the Dashman's. They are thinner aluminum and have a hole for dust cap clearance on the fronts, but I think they look pretty racy:

20210706_163007.jpg 20210706_164359.jpg 20210706_165158_HDR.jpg 20210706_163157.jpg