New Member Here

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Center' started by Stephen Legleiter, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Stephen Legleiter

Stephen Legleiter In First Gear

Hello. I recently acquired a 74 ranchero 500 for $700 and I've already discovered the headache and finding body parts. I'm shocked there's not more remanufactured parts out there. As the car is a rust bucket it's going to require a ton of work which means a ton of questions. I'm sure the site will be helpful look forward to my project.

2. Saff54

Saff54 In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Welcome Steve,this is a great site to help you along on your build,any pics?

3. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

Welcome to the site... You came to the right place.

I joined in 2012 after I bought my 69 "R" code from my Aunt. Mine wasn't a rust bucket, but it did need absolutely everything done. These guys helped, advised, and encouraged throughout the process.

This is what mine looked like when I acquired it. These guys helped me with the plan, and the goals. Today I get to brag about what I own.

Attached Files:

4. Stephen Legleiter

I'll get some pics up the next couple days for sure. What's the best way to navigate this site would be my first question. I've only red forms for the information never really joined one I'm not sure where I should ask my questions pertaining to my car, I got to find some front fenders.

5. Stephen Legleiter

I know what you're saying about needing everything cuz mine does too. It didn't look like it needed much more than the bed fixed floor pans and go through the powertrain. I've disassembled the bulk of the powertrain and I have yet to find even a nut or both it's probably worth saving. Doesn't mattered to me anyway I wasn't going to pass up a chance for my dream car and I only paid $750 for it. I'm not doing a showroom body off restoration. I'm kind of just putting it back to factory stock with a fresh paint job. Eventually I will put some type of high performance power plant in it but for now I just want to putt into town a couple days a week to run errands. Like I used to do with my grandpa in his brand new 79 Ranchero.

PonyExpressRider likes this.
  6. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

It's actually pretty easy; parts you search for in the 'for sale' section. It's split into what members are selling (Rancheros for sale and Ranchero parts for sale), as well as C/L, FB Marketplace, OfferUp, etc. links (Rancheros for sale LINKS and Ranchero parts for sale LINKS).
    Then, you have the forums for various things. You've already introduced yourself in the new members section, now you have the general section, for questions about your Ranchero's operation, the tech section, for operating/repairing/modifying your Ranchero, the tech articles section, for seeing how someone repaired/modified their Ranchero, etc. The rest of those in the car forum, they're fairly self-explanatory. Isn't this fun?:D
    So, go ahead and peruse the want ads, pose a question, and have fun doing so!

7. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

navigating around isn't too difficult... Once you start the work, you can start a thread in the "Stable". Here you get to keep us up to date on what you are doing, and pose specific questions about the system, or component you are working on.

Wouldn't worry to much about it. It will come as you frequent the site. And if you happen to put something in the wrong spot, the Admins are pretty cool about telling you about it, and where they moved it too.

Most of the sections are pretty self explanatory though.

I found keeping parts catalogs handy for National Parts Depot, CJPony, Ecklers (MAC's & Dearborne Classics) handy. Especially if you are going to need everything. If you are not doing a matching numbers or date code correct restoration, its a lot easier. You will be surprised how many parts cross over to other models of the same year.
    might want to check Detroit Iron Information Systems for digital or paper manuals. The assembly diagrams are very useful, and NPD uses the same numbers. At least they did for mine.

8. Stephen Legleiter

Thank for the advice. I have requested parts catalogs as suggested. I'm going to look into detroit iron for manuals. The Haynes and chilton online manuals are not useful in any way as far as I could tell.