New member with a new to me '65 Ranchero

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Center' started by Paul Moore, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Paul Moore

Paul Moore In First Gear

Recently purchased my first Ranchero--a 1965 with it's original (rebuilt) 289 and original 4 speed. My wife and I have owned a pile of Fords, including a 1953 F250, but this is our first Ranchero.

It was fully restored over the last 5 years by someone else who had the little bit of rust cut out (not much rust in Colorado) and new sheetmetal welded in; tubbed rear fenders; paint; new suspension components; disk brakes front; all new or polished trim; new weather stripping; rebuilt 289 with a comp cam, small Edelbrock Performer 4 barrel and Edelbrock Performer intake manifold, headers by Doug. The rear end is a Ford 9" with posi and axles by Mark Williams. He did a beautiful job on the interior.

It's not at all what I'd call fast, but it runs pretty well. Tuning at altitude is a challenge and the carb needs to be played with some.

I will probably have questions as I get into taking care of the few issues it has.

Paul Moore
    Colorado Springs, CO

Attached Files:

HuevosRanchero and LSChero like this.
  2. Tygr1

Tygr1 In Fourth Gear SILVER MEMBER

Very nice car, Paul.

3. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Wow !! Killer clean looking. Nice piece.
    Is the white 64 Sprint in the background his or yours?
    Welcome to the site.

4. Mike

Mike In Overdrive

Here are the same full size images in their original order, but posted in a much more convenient way:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To properly embed an image in a post, please click the link in my signature.

Nice looking '65.

5. Paul Moore

Paul Moore In First Gear

The Sprint is his. We'll see what happens, but I might try to buy it next summer.

Paul

6. Paul Moore

Paul Moore In First Gear

Thanks, Richard. By the way, I see you're in San Antonio. I'm originally from Dallas and lived there most of my life.

Paul

7. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Nicely done.
    You should reconsider the exhaust dumping out under the car though as you risk carbon monoxide poisening if stuck in traffic for a spell.

8. Paul Moore

Paul Moore In First Gear

That's something I'm already checking into. There's an additional reason: it's pretty noisy. I may change the mufflers, as well.

Thanks,

Paul Moore

9. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Nice SixFive. Welcome.

10. Rolsdad

Rolsdad In Second Gear

Sweet ride. Working on a 65 myself that is no where near in as nice a shape as that baby.

11. Bryan59EC

Bryan59EC In Overdrive

Now there are at least three 65's with factory v8 and 4spd on this forum

12. Cindy

Cindy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Nice 65! Yay for my birth year. <grin>

Oculto likes this.
  13. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

That is a gorgeous rig, and I love that shade of blue.

14. Paul Moore

Paul Moore In First Gear

Thanks for all the kind comments. It's my first Ranchero and I am blessed to have found it so close to home that I could look at it in person a couple of times before shelling out any money. Quite soon I will have several questions regarding a few little "issues"--wrinkles I'd like to get ironed out.

Winter has finally hit, so it may not be out of the garage much in the near future. The municipal government doesn't sand the roads here--they use small chunks of granite. They now also use chemicals mixed in with the "sand" (i.e. salt). We have, from what I've heard, the highest incidence of broken windshields of any state in the union due to what they put on the roads. Every auto insurance company that services Colorado has a glass clause. If you have a broken / chipped / sandblasted windshield, you go get a new one and the insurance company will pay for it after a $100 deductible, no questions asked. This vehicle is not going to get sandblasted!!!!

Thanks to everyone,

Paul Moore
    Colorado Springs, CO

15. Marty

Marty In Third Gear

Beautiful '65 and I love the color. Of course I'm prejudice because as you can see mine is the same color. 3 speed on the floor, 289, bucket seats.

16. Marty

Marty In Third Gear

I might add that I posted pics of my '65 in the Ranchero Pics Forum on page 5, under '65 Ranchero. I have since added a cover to the back but haven't added the pics yet.

17. Paul Moore

Paul Moore In First Gear

Too funny...not only are they nearly the same color, the wheels are very similar.

18. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

She's a beauty!

19. Paul Moore

Paul Moore In First Gear

Ribaldi1 suggested changing the exhaust system so that it didn't just dump out under the bed due to the possibility of carbon monoxide entering the cab. I had already considered it because the bed acted like a sounding board, resonating noise and vibration from the exhaust into the cab.

Done. The new exhaust dumps out behind the rear wheel on each side.

Paul Moore IMG_20170113_160908_433.jpg

Oculto likes this.
  20. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member