New member with a new to me '65 Ranchero

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Center' started by Paul Moore, Nov 27, 2016.

1. T16592

T16592 In Fourth Gear PLATINUM MEMBER

Paul;
    Great looking '65 :D
    And it sounds like it's getting some real go power of the 289.
    When you get a chance , how about some pictures of the gas tank and how it is mounted. What size is it? Does it look like it is cut into the frame / body to make it fit?. Thanks for a reply.

2. Paul Moore

Paul Moore In First Gear

My answer to all of your questions is "I don't know". But I will gladly find out and attempt to take some good photos.

Paul

3. Paul Moore

Paul Moore In First Gear

The fuel cell--I think--is 16 gallons. Since it's mounted under the bed, I'm not sure what you mean by cut into the frame or body.

Paul

4. T16592

Well it just looks like a really big tank thats larger than stock, so I figured it the frame had to be cut to fit in.

5. Paul Moore

Paul Moore In First Gear

Last week I filled it up with gas. It took 10 gallons and wasn't completely empty when I filled it. I think it's a 16 gallon tank. I don't see anywhere that cutting was done in order to make it fit.

Paul

6. T16592

Thanks for checking.

7. Paul Moore

Paul Moore In First Gear

You're welcome. I've tried since you first posted to reach the original owner who had all the work done. Once I reach him I'll ask him what the capacity of the tank is and if they had to do anything unusual to mount it.

Paul

8. Paul Moore

Paul Moore In First Gear

Over the weekend I spoke with the original owner. He said he didn't have to do any modifications to the frame / body and he thought that it was a 16 gallon tank.

Paul

9. Sophie948

Sophie948 In Overdrive

I'm jealous. I've got a '65 standard that's a daily driver and arguably a bit of a beater.

Three things I found to look out for on a '65:

- The front cowl rusts out because of a lousy drainage system and the fix is pretty expensive. I put a cover cut out of a magnetic sign on mine when it's parked to keep the water out. Alas, mine has already rusted out, but at least it keeps water out of the passenger compartment.
    - The smuggler's trunk rusts out because of miniature drain holes. The fix is only tedious, not expensive. But it's worth lifting the lid once a year to make sure you don't have a pond in there. [I somehow had a drowned mouse in about 3 inches of water]
    - Gas burps out of the gas cap if the car's parked with the drivers' side lower than the passenger side on a hot day. Looks like that was fixed, though: It's an artifact of the weird gas tank on 65's, and that may be why you have a different gas tank.

10. T16592

+1
    Except my gas cap still leaks on a hard right turn :( but still love driving it :D