New Members ( Introduce Yourself)

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Center' started by Rancherous, Oct 25, 2004.

1. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero MODERATOR Staff Member

I would use type F myself but that just me

2. FlufDrizzle

FlufDrizzle In First Gear

Well, 3 quarts of type F later, she's moving!!! Now I definitely need to get going on the brakes. :eek: Took the new intake and carburetor out of the box to see how everything lines up today too. Soooo shiney!!! Anyone else have problems posting photos to the site? I keep getting a file size is too large error trying to post from my iPhone.

3. ou8jaime

ou8jaime In Second Gear

Howdy Ladies and Gents, my name is Jaime(ou8jaime) and it's a pleasure to find a place so active and knowledgeable. I was gifted a '62 ranchero by my god-father. It had been garaged for about 35 years, last started in 2010. 97400 original miles! It took a lot of work to get started and running. I appreciate this site.

4. T16592

T16592 In Fourth Gear PLATINUM MEMBER

Welcome ou8jaime :) Lots of knowledge here from the really great forum members. Tel us more about the '62 and your plans for it. Was your god-father the original owner? V8 engine?
    BTW, I like the color, but I may be prejudice , haha

5. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Fourth Gear PLATINUM MEMBER

Welcome Jaime, looks like a great project enjoy it, mine are 65s and transferring and salvaging from a rust bucket to a rust free rolling shell. Good luck to you on yours.

6. ou8jaime

ou8jaime In Second Gear

I had the same problem. I changed the resolution on the camera. BAM! I don't know if I can change existing photos. What year is your ranchero?

7. ou8jaime

ou8jaime In Second Gear

Thanks for the greetings. My god father's dad was a fireman. The fire chief was the original owner, who sold it to him. Then it was gifted to my god father who then gifted it to me. I helped with some body work in the 80's, but had never seen her run. She's a 6 cylinder with a 3 speed transmission. I would like to restore her to original and cruise on the weekends and holidays. There's no need to be a daily driver. Any advise on leaky freeze plugs and leaky rear main seal. Replacing is the obvious best fix. But, is there a product for either leak I can use that won't ruin another part? I'm excited to be here. Thanks for being here for us beginners.

8. ou8jaime

ou8jaime In Second Gear

Thanks for greetings 66G. Good luck to you. It's all about having fun.

9. ou8jaime

ou8jaime In Second Gear

White with the Rangoon Red interior. Interior is beat, but first make her mechanical sound, then make her pretty. This whole manual choke is for the birds. Finding that sweet spot, man. Any advise on what to look for in garaged car?

10. T16592

T16592 In Fourth Gear PLATINUM MEMBER

For an average garaged car last running in 2010 (I mean a car with some boxes and old carpet on top but not climate controlled with a dehumidifier and daily dusting) I would look at the following in this order:

1. Brakes – Being able to stop is the priority. Master cylinder cap off and check the condition of the fluid and the insides of the master cylinder casting for heavy rust. If its rusted, dry or full of water - replace it. If you want to keep it 100 % original, then you can get a new rebuild kit and lightly hone the cylinder (if you don’t know what this is, don’t experiment - replace the master cylinder). If its ok, I would drain whatever brake fluid is in the master cylinder reservoir and fill it with fresh (just opened) new brake fluid to see if pumping the brakes will at least get the brake shoes to move. Check the condition (I mean clean off any grease, grime, dirt etc) of the metal brake lines and brass distribution blocks for any damage. I am one of those that believe replacement is the only choice for repairs. Rebuild or replace all the wheel cylinders. If you have never rebuilt them before, replace them with new ones. I would then take all the drums off and look at the condition of the brake shoes and drums. If any one of the shoes are worn, scared, grooved or has oil on it, replace them all. Since they are not too expensive, I would just replace them. Turn the drums (you will have to send them out and be sure there is enough metal left on them to do this) with new brake shoes. Completely bleed (pressure if you can) the entire system until all the fluid coming out is clear. Running checks are by the manual.

2. Electrical – Bad or damaged wiring can cause fires or stalling at the worst times – Test the entire wiring for continuity (no shorts or broken wires or bad connections). Repair all the mice and rat chewings on the wires with real wire splices or new wiring of the same gauge. Do not even try to use leftover phone wiring, extension cord or house wiring . Check the fuse box and fuses. A ford manual will tell you what amperage they should be Be sure they are all the correct stated Amps. They are not and should not be all the same rating. A couple of personal preferences, make sure all the grounds (battery to block, engine to fire wall, regulator to chassis, gauge cluster to metal dash) are clean and like new. Good groundings will clear up many of the dim, flickering , pulsating or not working lighting issues. And change the voltage regulator to the modern digital ones.

3. Fuel system – leaks can cause fires and could cause starting and running problems. Static checks would be looking at the condition of the rubber fuel hose from the carb to the metal fuel line running over the engine, fuel hose from the pump to the chassis fuel line, and the chassis fuel line hose to the fuel tank sending unit. And of course check the metal fuel lines for rubbing marks, crimped spots (from hitting something or someone hitting it) and corrosion. Light rusting maybe ok, but heavy rusting signals replacement. Next while you are looking at the gas tank, move over to the driver side and look at the large rubber hose going from the gas tank to the metal gas fuel filler tube / neck. Replace it if there is even the slightest cracking or damage. Even though this rubber is not “pressurized” the static and dynamic (moving) weight of the 20 gallons of gas will magnify all defects in that rubber hose. And that defect will lead to an enclosed garage leak one night after you fill the tank. Nothing will make you more of a believer that smelling gas in the morning and open the garage to see a floor full of maybe 15 gallons of fuel running on it.

4. Radio – Got to listen to the AM weather channel. Haha , just seeing if you are awake after that long posting.

These are my priorities I thought of right now, but there are members here with a lot more knowledge that can give you more advise than this. Most of all, be safe and enjoy the ride.

ou8jaime likes this.
  11. 1965 Ranchero 66G

I agree, I just read the whole article, now I need a nap. Lol good points though.

12. ou8jaime

ou8jaime In Second Gear

Thanks for the advise. Brakes have been redone and are cherry. Any product suggestions for my leaks (rear main seal and freeze plugs).

13. 1965 Ranchero 66G

Freeze plugs, replace them, rear main Lucas makes a pretty good product.

14. 66Ranchero

66Ranchero In First Gear

Hey everyone! I just got my Ranchero on Tuesday. Its a 1966 T code with a 3 on the tree, manual steering and brakes! Its a blast to drive and definitely a looker! Its my first classic car so I'm learning but I love it!

15. 66Ranchero

66Ranchero In First Gear

16. toyroom

toyroom In Third Gear PLATINUM MEMBER

Nice 66... and spacious garage

17. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero MODERATOR Staff Member

Welcome Like the vintage decal

upload_2017-7-17_7-41-9.png

18. 66Ranchero

66Ranchero In First Gear

Thanks guys!

19. Lorm

Lorm In First Gear

IMG_4202.JPG Name is lorm , I own a nice 1958 ranchero !!

Oculto and andrewok1 like this.
  20. toyroom

toyroom In Third Gear PLATINUM MEMBER

Excellent 58 Lorm!!! \,,/(*_*)\,,/